Will Beyond Earth use the same engine at Civ5?

SG-17

Deity
Looking at the screenshots, I'd say yes. My hardware is pushing low-end at this point (Phenom II x4 965BE and 6870 1gb) and I'd rather not have to upgrade to play this at max or near-max settings.

Yes, the engine is the same. It has been reported in most of the articles.

Yes, the engine is the same. It has been reported in most of the articles.

Well, the same 'game engine', but they also mention adding in Mantle API features, so you may be able to get quite a bit better performance by adding a newer Mantle capable vid card (even a mid-low end one).

I can only congratulate Firaxis on using the same engine. It will make sure the game is out fairly quickly = low financial risk = more room to "go wild" and do their own thing the way they want instead of going a safer "dumbed down" route.

Also, it will give less bugs at release. I hope...

I hope they make it 64 bit too, as the Civ V engine has a lot of issues with caching and loading textures.

One of the biggest core bottlenecks with Civ5 as it is now is that Lua is not multithreaded, so it doesn't take advantage of our fancy CPU's. The DirectX engine was always multithreaded, but they definitely need to improve the memory management for loading tiles as the map gets larger....

Of course the biggest issue with Civ5 is the completely subpar MP code, but even though they are promising 8 player MP, I'm not sure they have the time and resources to do the complete rewrite that MP needs, but one can hope.

CS

Thank goodness. I only get decent frame rates at minimum settings with Civ 5, and I wouldn't want to shell out $500 just to play Beyond Earth.

They're supposed to be making some improvements to the game engine to make the game run better on older/slower computers (which is good!)

Of course the biggest issue with Civ5 is the completely subpar MP code, but even though they are promising 8 player MP, I'm not sure they have the time and resources to do the complete rewrite that MP needs, but one can hope.

CS

I'm hoping that they'll have a couple people properly coding multiplayer for Civ: BE who will then go on to code Civ VI's multiplayer capabilities.

Reusing and modifying game engines is not a crime, and I'm glad to see they are not reinventing the wheel.

I am happy with this decision because it means more time spent on polishing a known factor than wasted on reinventing the wheel which would have more bugs for a longer time. reusing engines means less bugs (I assume). Also, better ROI which means 2K will be more willing to invest more in expansions to keep it alive if the first product wasnt so expensive to develop.

With regards to computer power, the only problems I have with civ5 is the slow turn turnover in late large games. In maximum maps it just because horrible. The other is the freaking diplo screen. I get the animated stuff but it would take so long to load. I could see that some AI is trying to contact me as everything slows on my computer and I wait for Gandi to pop up just to tell me he thinks I am a douche. Thanks. And if I have youtube on my second screen or some movie playing whenever the diplo screen would popo up the videos would stall until everything is resolved which took SECONDS. :p

I hope ingame wonder videos are present like in SMAC. I know it's so 90s, but I like them. in game video reward for a wonder is a nice pat on the back for a job well done.

You could always play it in 8 bit mode :lol:

Spoiler :

That's what I do already. :lol: Initially, it was because I had a really bad graphics card. But once I got a better laptop, it wasn't all that necessary, but I find it so much faster for me to recognize tiles in strategic mode that I only switch to normal view ever so often for aesthetic purposes alone.

I am happy with this decision because it means more time spent on polishing a known factor than wasted on reinventing the wheel which would have more bugs for a longer time. reusing engines means less bugs (I assume). Also, better ROI which means 2K will be more willing to invest more in expansions to keep it alive if the first product wasnt so expensive to develop.
Sorry, but these assumptions are just this - assumptions.
It might as well be the case that due to not having to develop a new graphics engine they went for a shorter development time in total. Taking into account that they called the current state a pre-alpha, this isn't that much unlikely.
And a lower investment only means a better ROI if you take the (future) return as a given. But it might have been higher with a higher investment.

With regards to computer power, the only problems I have with civ5 is the slow turn turnover in late large games. (...) And if I have youtube on my second screen or some movie playing whenever the diplo screen would popo up the videos would stall until everything is resolved which took SECONDS. :p
Well.... :mischief:

That's what I do already. :lol: Initially, it was because I had a really bad graphics card. But once I got a better laptop, it wasn't all that necessary, but I find it so much faster for me to recognize tiles in strategic mode that I only switch to normal view ever so often for aesthetic purposes alone.

I have never used strategic mode. I just turn on the resource icons. But then i have a powerful computer. It doesnt seem to like running 5 though, keeps saying i need to turn my colour settings down. I had a similar problem in 4 with the infamous memory leak - where the longer you played, the slower it became. Only way to solve it was to shut it down and restart.

Top Bottom