1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

will BNW work with Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by kpi, Jun 15, 2013.

1. kpi

kpi Chieftain

Im not sure what I am more excited about, getting back my start button, or BNW :D

2. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I can verify that G&K works with Windows 8, so I can't imagine any reason why it wouldn't work with 8.1.

If you want your Start button back, there are very simple mods that will give you a Windows 7 interface in Win8. The one I have been using is Classic Shell.

3. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

This. As it's the newest OS, of course they'll make it work. Since it's not officially released yet (launched on the MS build conf on 26 June), we haven't seen it yet. Should there by any remote chance be an incompatibility, it'd be fixed tout de suite.

4. toft

toft King

Your "start button", won't be a regular start button FYI. It's just a visual windows button AFAIK that takes you to the metro tiles. Anyway, civ will work, obviously.

5. anandus

anandus Errorist

Since the last patch Civ 5 has a proper touchscreen mode

6. Optional

Optional Deity

Lucky you! I have Windows 8, there's no way for me to get WorldBuilder started, tried all the workarounds.
    Windows 8 = pain in the arse, I wish I could get Windows XP back. Task manager always started up for me in Windows XP. In Windows 8 I often have to shut down my computer if I simply want to exit a program. Not only start buttons are missing, also stop buttons. If Windows made cars they would be cars without brakes and they'd be in the dock for genocide now!

7. Fluffball

Fluffball Warlord

A fake start button isn't going to fix a crap system. The issue is the metro interface is not intuitive so adding a button that simply sends you to it which seems to be what they are/have created won't fix anything.

You can plant roses in manure but at the end of the day it's still just cow sh....

8. Gorhaax

Gorhaax Warlord

Civ V and Gods and Kings worked out of the box for me at Windows 8 launch, so my guess would be yes.

It's not a fake start button. The start button is for all those people who refuse to use the keyboard to get back to the start screen. It's been that way for XP, Vista and 7. Also how is the metro interface not intuitive? You can display more applications then previous versions of windows or just use the faster search (which is what I've always been doing).

9. Ricardo_

Ricardo_ Warlord

Microsoft surely works with software developers to ensure compatibility. I would say the developers probably have a version of the new Windows to test their game on. Even if they do not and the game is not compatible when it's released, they would ensure it is in the patches.

10. Luziadus

Luziadus Warlord

my medieval total war ii stopped working with my W8 :( sometimes I think why people have to buy physical cds because now its useless....its annoying because we dont have a solution for that problem, and the game was a bit expensive at the time.

11. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Windows 8.1 is mostly just fixing some of the mistakes of the layout that Windows 8 introduced (namely making it look too much like a tablet); very little changes to core functionality.

And the main game of Civ V included a touchscreen mode for Windows 8 with a recent patch, so that works. (World builder issues though have been reported), so the main game should still work in 8.1 but those having issues with World builder in 8 will probably have the same issues with 8.1)

But if your machine is currently Windows 7 I wouldn't upgrade it to either Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.

Also at this point if you have a desktop or notebook machine that came out with Windows 7 pre-installed, it's looking like its going to be a long time before it becomes functionality obsolete with the exception of the wireless router. The advances are now in cloud based computing along with proposed wi-fi 5G having a faster access to the router up to a mile away than your current machine's access to its hard drive.
    (As to machines earlier than that like Windows XP & Vista; a new tablet would have more computing power, and would just need a cable to a real monitor.)

12. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

If you have much money to spare (as they are not exactly inexpensive), there is also the Mac (which has the only legal non-Steam version as well) that you can consider.

I use the 15" MacBook with Retina Display and it works very well with Civ V.

13. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Indeed, the "Apple Tax" on Mac Books greatly increased when they introduced the I Pad.
    This is another case in which if you already have a Mac Book from the past 3 years or so you can keep it for a long time without it going obsolete but if you have a Mac older than that an I Pad would have more computing power than the old Mac anyway.

Yes, they should be able to run it well; the only issues with Civ V has been patches have been slower to be released for Mac than for the PC.

14. Luziadus

Luziadus Warlord

but instead of fixing it creates new errors

15. CSN1138

CSN1138 Chieftain

I just downloaded the Windows 8.1 Pro Preview, and my Civ V: BNW isn't rendering correctly and an error message pops up after I force quit the game saying Render Error.
    I read that a few other people are having this problem. I hope they fix this before the official 8.1 launch!

16. CJT1982

CJT1982 Chieftain

BNW will not launch for me after upgrading to Windows 8.1

17. SomethingCronic

SomethingCronic Chieftain

Not sure why not. I can confirm absolute compatibility with Win 8.1. been using it for a few weeks now.

18. temprus

temprus Chieftain

I do not have a touchscreen but I can confirm Windows 8.1 can run Civ 5 Vanilla up through BNW pretty well. I installed the preview Win 8.1 on top of Win 8 before I started playing Civ 5 and have fully upgraded to RTM (from Technet) a few days ago.

19. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

I have been using 8.1 since the beta release and it works just fine on my desktop.
    Are you using touch or mouse?

20. CJT1982

CJT1982 Chieftain

Mouse; tried this morning and the DX9 window opened for longer but then vanished and the game did not launch. Does not come up on my running apps list either.