Will civ 5 use c++

Narnia

Prince
My school canceled the elective I was planning on taking so I have to choose another one. One of the options is c++ and I seem to remember that civ5 uses c++ is; this true or am I just not remembering it correctly. If so, will people be able to mod civ5 if they know c++? If so, I would have great motivation in taking a class on c++ because it is something I would use, otherwise, I really would't have much use for it.

Civ V will probably use C++, but no promises.

You ought to take it either way. Learning a programming language is a great skill, and once you learn one, you can learn almost any of them. If it doesn't use C++, just take the class, learn how to program and learn the language that it ends up using.

web design and fine art
I took all the good classes in 9th and 10th grade :(

PS: I DON'T like art

C++ is a great choice. If you know the basics of C++ you also know the basics of most other programming languages. php being one of them as it's "simplified" just c++ code mixed together with html.
I'd vote for C++ every time.

Most stuff in civ5 will be in LUA though afaik. While it's not "as much C++" as php, I'd still say that taking c++ will make you understand LUA.

Why would most modding be in Lua? Why tack your stuff on when you can bend the game to your will with the SDK (once it's out... why are they waiting to release it?)? I expect Lua to be for civ5 as python was for civ4: events (random and triggered), stuff that's so small it isn't worth it to mod the SDK for, stuff you can't figure out how to do in the SDK, and UI.

Civ5 will be using XNA so that it is cross compatible with xbox, Windows and Windows Phone. :p

But seriously, Visual Studio 2008 has been confirmed, so it will either be C++ or C#.

web design and fine art
I took all the good classes in 9th and 10th grade :(

PS: I DON'T like art

C++ is definitely a more useful skill then "web design". Web development is comparatively much easier and something that anybody who knows a C language can pick up.

(A LOT of other programming languages are similar to C and C++. If you know those you can learn almost anything else.)

Did Firaxis give up on Python? I remember when Civ4 came out they were boasting that parts of it were written in Python (much to a lot of people's chagrin)

I don't know, the only specifics on modding I've been able to find is that in the technical requirements it lists something about c++.
PS: How hard is C++ to learn? I've done some limited XML before and found that easy, compared to that, how hard is c++

I don't know, the only specifics on modding I've been able to find is that in the technical requirements it lists something about c++.
PS: How hard is C++ to learn? I've done some limited XML before and found that easy, compared to that, how hard is c++

XML isn't actually a programming language, it's "markup" in that you just put tags around data to say what it is.

C++ is a programming language. You're writing commands to tell the computer what you want it to do, in terms the computer understands. Here's a very simple example:

int x = 2;
int y = 5;
int z = x + y;
printf("2 + 5 is %d", z);

That will print out "2 + 5 is 7". Obviously programs of any real complexity get MUCH bigger and more complicated, and C++ is not one of the easiest languages out there to learn. But that's part of what makes it a good course to take. If you know it, you can learn almost anything else.

Now I'm officially confused. I THOUGHT that Civ 5 is written in Lua, now someone is saying it's in C++. So are we going to mod in C++ or in Lua?

Good language to start with is C or Java. Then later on C++ and C#(basicly same as java :p). Not sure about the other ones, pyhton for example, getting more popular but im unfamiliar with it.

THose aren't options for me, my school only offers c++

Summary:

Game code/AI code: C++
GUI/event handlers: Lua
Data: XML

Well, if you know any programming language learning a new one isnt that hard. Start with C++ if you must, but it weould be better to start with C (i bet they start with C if its a basic class)

Top Bottom