Will Civ 6 be similar enough to 5 to have improved AI?

CivCube

Spicy.
Or will it continue the trend of throwing all its units at you, then waiting for its demise? Combined arms likely helps the AI make some good units--those stacks of doom from 3 and 4 were kind of its saving grace.

To be fair I think the Corps/Armies system will make more room for the AI because less units will occupy. The designers seem to be "aware" of the carpet of doom's bad AI so we will, I'd say, see an improvement.

I don't think they prioritize good AI, since most players aren't Deity anyway. I'm not holding my breath on move & fire. Maybe they can ask Acken for his mod?

I thought the combat AI improved dramatically from base Civ5 to the final version. I suspect they'll polish it some more to help make it competent. I don't think it'll be the best we could hope for, but I'll at least say I don't think the new combat features will set it back.

The city placement AI needs improvement from Civ5 and I do have concerns about how it'll handle the new city improvement features with the dramatic changes. I'm more concerned with this than combat.

If the catapult line is considered support, it will definitely help the AI since the AI will then protect them.

If the implementation of the corps/ army system involves temporarily placing the overlapping units but then removing one of them before the turn ends if not joined, it will also go a long ways towards fixing AI traffic jams.

In any case, adding a corps system allows AI at high difficulty levels to actually use the production handicap for units instead of being unable to get them to the front lines due to being blocked by other units.

I would guess that with cities being more than one hex that its bombard has been removed, which will also help the AI to attack human cities.

In an ideal world Firaxis would have a few employees dedicated to programming the AI, considering that it's the mainstay of the single player experience.

However, we know the AI programming tends to be a side role of a single programmer.

Stacks of Doom in Civ4 were easy for the AI to cope with, making Civ4 a game with good AI.

From what I'm reading, I can't tell if one unit per tile is completely gone - these new army systems sound like they could be anything from a bandaid on 1UPT to the best system we've ever seen.

I'm still disappointed that we don't just have the system from SMAC but with hexes, where you can have stacks of doom but when a unit dies it damages all other units in the stack.

Actually it's a choice between tactics and good AI. Human brain is deadly effective at solving map-based tasks and AI requires huge processing power to compete. Just check what resources were required for AI to beat humans in Chess and Go with much smaller map. So don't expect any tactical brilliance here.

On the other hand, we don't need AI to actually oversmart player. Just avoid some obvious mistakes and bring as much firepower as possible should be enough to make game fun. So, you could expect less cases of archers exposed to melee attacks, but I doubt we'll have significantly more. And it's not bad.

I absolutely agree, we're not going to see AI on the level of a top-tier human player for a long, long time.

Like you said I'd also like to see an AI which doesn't make obvious mistakes.

That said, not enough effort is put into making the AI exploit a player's weak point. They go for the closest city with 10 guys defending it instead of walking past and taking the player's capitol with 1 guy. Given what we've seen modders do in Civ4 there's really no excuse for AI not having some strong, human-like tactics. In FFH2 there's an attack routine I see from a few factions where they make a big stack of defensive units and just wander around inside your borders razing every tile as they go.

There's also the issue of the AI just flat out not understanding how to play the game in some regards - certain things which it doesn't know how to use - paratroopers in Civ4, supply crawlers in SMAC, satellites in SMAC, elevation terraforming in SMAC, attacking and moving with ships in Civ5, trade routes in BE, I could go on.

Top Bottom