Will DLC kill RFC???

-Perceval-

Prince
Ok, firaxis anounced that there will be a deluxe edition of civilization 5 who include babilonian civ...no comments on the stupidity of the idea(sad because i respect firaxis a lot!).
But how rhye will make a RFC if there will be downloadable civ(not free)?
Some player will not have the babilonians, some yes. What will rhye do? A version of RFC for the rich player who can pay? Or a version of RFC for angry player who don't want to pay? Or two version what mean more work(and it can getting worse if they add more DLC civ)?

Me i personnaly think that i am just going to say:

F U C K T O D L C !!!!!

There is RFC vanilla, RFC warlords, and RFC BTS, so I don't think it'll be too much of a problem.

If modding is allowed, why can't you use graphics and such from the Babylonian civ in your mod (which is free). Common, who is going to pay for a just one extra civ?

If modding is allowed, why can't you use graphics and such from the Babylonian civ in your mod (which is free). Common, who is going to pay for a just one extra civ?

It depenps on how much. IMO Firaxis would be better off including as many civilizations as possible in the vanilla version. One civ isn't going to change much.

Actually, what does this have to do with RFC? Unless I'm mistaken, RFC doesn't even have extra Civilizations.

It has something to do with an hypothetical RFC for Civ 5 which everyone here would love to see.

Most people here rather play Civ IV RFC than Civ V without RFC.

To make a game as interesting as the current RFC BTS, there should be more civs added, because initial Civ V doesn't have as many civs as Civ IV BTS.

I mean, can you imagine RFC without Spain???

I am actually more concerned about Spain. It's vital in a colonization scenario.

And adding leaders will be even harder than Civ4:
In civ2 all you had to do was adding a picture
In civ3 there were four 3d models
In civ4 there were a 3d model, many facial expressions, gestures and animated background
In civ5 there will be a whole setting, such as a room, where the leader moves and speaks (in his own language).

Then we'll just need an expert on Akkadian and hieroglyphics.:D

I am actually more concerned about Spain. It's vital in a colonization scenario.

And adding leaders will be even harder than Civ4:
In civ5 there will be a whole setting, such as a room, where the leader moves and speaks (in his own language).

I wonder if it would be possible to just replace the leader screen with a picture and text (disable, or just not use, the full animation). I, for one, don't need it.

I wonder if it would be possible to just replace the leader screen with a picture and text (disable, or just not use, the full animation). I, for one, don't need it.
Well, they claim Civ5 will be even more moddable than Civ4 (they claim that with every new installment, but I guess it's true) so there will probably be a way around the 3D full-room problem. Maybe it can be turned off?

As for the Babylon/Spain problem - to keep the mod available to everyone, it would probably be best to use custom Civs modded by the community, rather than the official versions downloadable as DLC.

I think the last thing that worries RFCers is a leader walking around his 3D setting :D
A static picture or even flag works just as well for me, normally my interaction with other leaders lasts 2 seconds, and I am not even looking at them.

Actually, what does this have to do with RFC? Unless I'm mistaken, RFC doesn't even have extra Civilizations.

You're mistaken, for example RFC Vanilla has Babylon while Civ4 Vanilla doesn't.

F U C K T O D L C !!!!!

Quoted for truthery. At first I thought it was just going to be some lame scenario, but an entire Civ as zero day DLC is way too much. Of all the info about Civ V so far, this makes me least happy.

Having said that, though, I completely agree with Onedreamer. Just a static 2d leaderhead is fine with me. In fact, consider the official Charlemagne mod that shipped with BTS; it used, except for Charlemagne himself, just a series of static images as leaderheads. That Eleanor wasn't a 3D model speaking Old Occitan or some such didn't detract from the experience.

Maybe you could use video fragments of Isabella in a movie, for example 'Conquest of Paradise'.

If you want 'native tongue', you could use the Spanish spoken version.

A static picture or even flag works just as well for me, normally my interaction with other leaders lasts 2 seconds, and I am not even looking at them.
While interacting with a flag might be a bit too much, I don't need animated 3D leaderheads. More important to me is a coherent artistic style.

See FFH for how it can be done.

A static image works if the entire mod is consistent. Static image for a civ or two but full animated leader for the others does not work.

I agree. But it would be temperarely a solution until Firaxis brings expansion packs with the missing civs, which is almost certain they will.

Even non-RFC players would complain about a missing Spain.

Maybe you could use video fragments of Isabella in a movie, for example 'Conquest of Paradise'.

If you want 'native tongue', you could use the Spanish spoken version.

Anybody read this?

EDIT: Yes, I'm quoting myself.

2nd EDIT: For Stalin, Roosevelt or any other 20th century leader it would be cool to use actual footage.
I would also like to see a Hitler for Germany if they adopt something like Police State if Civ 5 still uses civics.

Well, little hindrances such as copyright aside, I wouldn't want to have movie excerpts next to real historical footage next to user created graphics. Having no consistent art style is confusing, and considering how strict Rhye was with user created LHs, it's not likely to happen anyway.

Containing actual Hitler footage would make the mod borderline illegal in Germany, depending on the depiction (and you can't really make a point about RFC being "historical education" ;)). And I obviously don't want to be excluded :)

Top Bottom