Will each Civ have a prefered religion?

geebo

Prince
Think this was added to one of the patches in BtS? Examples, Arabia will always choose Islam when available, Japan will choose Shintoism, the Byzantine's Christanity and so on. Would seem a little odd seeing A Jewish Taoist Arabia or a Zoroastrianism state in England. Some Civs could have multiple choses if their first religion isn't available ie India Hinduism and Buddhism. Thoughts?

Yes, that would be nice, but since the Civ series doesn't aim at total historical accuracy (or anything near that), I think it's not a vital feature. What I would like, if they do include it, is an option to turn preferred religions on or off.

Honestly, doesn't everyone look forward to conquering the world with a German Jewish empire?

I would love to see this as well, to be honest, especially since the system in CiV means that unlike CIV, we won't see Isabella being hindu or buddhist 99% of the time. :p

And Monty with Nukeism, which he'll gladly spread to Pacal, I suppose.

But seriously, there's this pic, but it's probably made up for showcase:

It suggests some kind of priority, but I really don't think this will be the case (unfortunately...)

Will the civs use the conventional names of the religions even? Or will Isabella go with Isabellism and Harun go with Bazarism?

The AI does not rename cities or GP therefore I doubt they will remain religions. I think it at least should be an option in advanced setup. Will see if there is some type of prefered religion value in the code.

I really wish this along with culturally linked starting locations gets added to the advanced setup. Some sort of flavor for units as well, especially Non-Western.

No more Issy always Buddhist please! :lol:

And Monty with Nukeism, which he'll gladly spread to Pacal, I suppose.

But seriously, there's this pic, but it's probably made up for showcase:

It suggests some kind of priority, but I really don't think this will be the case (unfortunately...)

just seen the screenshot, thanks. This has me thinking a little more positive, with Christianity in Byzantium, and Persia following Zoroaster, and Islam in Egypt. We will soon see!

It might be to some extent but you cannot expect that all the civs would 9 out of 10 times go for a religion that is based on its history. Otherwise, it would get a bit dull if you play a game with mainly European civs and see that Christianity has been started for five times.

Jewish Arabia really isn't that outlandish - there were Jewish tribes and Jewish cities in pre-Islamic Arabia, and Yemen had a Jewish king for a while - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhu_Nuwas

Correct. Very silly for some one like me to say who focuses his studies on the Middle East, my apologies. But you know what I meant... There are Arab Christians as well. Arabia for example would have 3 choices first Islam if that is already discovered then Judaism or Christianity.

EDIT: Fixed it ;)

I doubt that will be the case. Besides the names of religions are just there for flavor anyway. It is the belief choices that count.

I doubt that will be the case. Besides the names of religions are just there for flavor anyway. It is the belief choices that count.

Well yeah, this request is complete flavour, just as preferred religions were in Civ IV. I would certainly like to see AIs pick the historical religion where appropriate, while being free to pick crazy choices for myself. :p

It's just a nice little detail, it's not important. It wouldn't cost the devs anything.

Well yeah, this request is complete flavour, just as preferred religions were in Civ IV. I would certainly like to see AIs pick the historical religion where appropriate, while being free to pick crazy choices for myself. :p

It's just a nice little detail, it's not important. It wouldn't cost the devs anything.

I like it. A lot of things are flavour in Civ, city names leap to mind. Tell me you'd enjoy playing China as much if your capital was Madrid.

I don't think, we will see this.

Just take into account, how many western civs would compet for christianity! True, all of them could have a bias towards this name pick. But if only one out of (say) eight participating civs on a map (and they all might be European!) will get it - why bother at all about a system of flavour religion priorities? You'l always end with one "fitting" name pick and up to three (as there are only half as many religions as civs) not-so-fitting ones.

Note well: I'm not against it! I just think, it will not happen.

Such feature would be more suitable for a mod than for the base game. Still it would helpful for roleplaying if the civs have a religion bias with some randomization.

I don't think, we will see this.

Just take into account, how many western civs would compet for christianity! True, all of them could have a bias towards this name pick. But if only one out of (say) eight participating civs on a map (and they all might be European!) will get it - why bother at all about a system of flavour religion priorities? You'l always end with one "fitting" name pick and up to three (as there are only half as many religions as civs) not-so-fitting ones.

Note well: I'm not against it! I just think, it will not happen.

That doesn't make it any less likely they would implement it, its not like the Western civs will be competing for Christianity, its just whoever gets a religion first will have a higher probability to choose Christianity, if they do then the other civs will simply use the next religion down on their list, probably Judaism followed by Islam. (It should be based on chance of course, I don't want Theodora picking Christianity every time).
Also, unless you only play with Western civs every game, there wont be only one "fitting" name pick every game, there should be a possibility for at least 3 or 4.

I actually really hope they implement this. The only thing which ever truelly broke 'realism' for me was in civ 4 always seeing civs with ahistorical religions. It is way easier to implement such a system in civ 5 as the religion selection is completely arbitrary.

Even if only one proper name pick could occur in a given game,

I do think seeing as how the religions are found in Civ 5, that there is a preference order. (Note, Rexopolis is 90% likely the human player playing as Byzantium, it was pointed out in another thread)

and I think it makes sense.. I also hope that some AI that do not have a default named religion will rename it, like Montezuma renaming Shikism for example "Voodooism".

I like the idea of civs leaning towards a certain religion, but it is nice to have a little bit of variety and odd choices here and there. I notice in the picture above that every holy city is a capitol city, except for the Byzantine's Rexopolis. Does this mean that their capitol is not Constantinople or that any city can be a holy city?

Any city can be a Holy City. I think a Great Prophet has to be in a city to found a religion, and it doesn't matter which.

Top Bottom