1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

will i need static ip to host civ4 games?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Multiplayer & PBEM' started by sumo0, Jun 16, 2010.

1. sumo0

sumo0 Chieftain

hello.
    im here to ask you civfanatics a question obviously.
    will i need static ip to host games online or does it all run on game servers?
    im asking because a friend and me want to play together, but due to me getting a new ISP and not thinking about the percs i had before like static ip by mistake, im now unsure if i can host games in civ4.

2. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Emperor

If you have no major firewall/router issues, you should be able to play using a game hosted in the GS lobby no problem. You do not need to even know your IP to play a game started by the GS matchmaking system, it handles all that under the hood. And even if you wanted to hold a DirectIP game you do not need a static IP, you just need to know what your IP is at the time if you are the host of the DIP game.

The only time a static IP is really handy is if you are running a pitboss server, then it makes it alot easier if you can give all your players a static IP that always works.

CS

3. Bernout1

Bernout1 Warlord

Depending on how often your IP is changing even Pitboss is doable. You can use a DNS service like no-ip.org to give an unchangeable address to your players while you change the underlying IP as often as needed.

Bernout

4. sumo0

sumo0 Chieftain

that is great news.
    thx for the replies.