Will it be possible to play Civ:BE on a tablet?

Looks like I have some very long plane rides in my future at the beginning of Nov, be awesome if I could Civ away the time ... Any ideas?

What the world really needs is a good, fast, cheap gaming tablet. Well, pick two of those qualities, anyway.

If actually planning on buying a tablet for BE, be sure it's at least a 4 GB tablet. (Of course 8 GB would be better.) In addition since using your raw finger would be much more tiring than any other control, you'd either want a touchscreen that supports a stylus (some touch screens still require body heat) or has a spare USB port for a mouse or other pointer device.
(In addition you may want one that can plug into a bigger monitor for when you're at home as tablet monitors are tiny.)

Hum, it occurs to me that steam actually only expects you to have one active machine set up for you account, while it can support you buying and replacing your existing machine with a newer one, unless things have changed, its really not expecting you to continue to use both of them.

I play CIV 5 on a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2. It is a hybrid, so it isn't exactly a tablet.

I put it in Tablet mode and it plays CIV 5 pretty well. I generally play on small or standard maps.

I believe that people play Civ V on Windows Surface tablets. So presumably you can play BE on one too.

It would be nice if the folks that make the Alien gaming PC's would look into a dedicated gaming tablet. Not that I could afford it, but...

Hah! I had no idea. Looks neat. Only problem is, I have an aversion to Razer software - it seems buggy to me. I use one of their mice and have to run older versions of the software to keep my system stable. If they get the software right, this is just what I was thinking of when I mentioned the idea.

The biggest reason I bought my current laptop (surface pro 2) was because I knew it could handle Civ V. I know I could have gotten a nicer pure "laptop" for what I paid for my surface BUT I also get to use it as a tablet... Not many tablets have the power/capability to run PC games.

Yeah, iPad is cool, but a tablet that lets me play Civ is like a BE level tech advance to me.

I play CiV on my Ipad. Streaming from a PC with Splashtop. It feels completely "native" and lag free when I'm on my home Wi-Fi. Touch controls work great too. Streaming over the Internet also works but not as smooth.

Splashtop game streaming works best with Nvidia cards, if you have Radeon you have to run games in widowed mode.

I have a Surface Pro 1 and, although it'll run Civ V, it's not a great experience for me. Tiny issues you wouldn't expect became too frustrating, like, sometimes the controls don't work exactly right and accidentally hitting the windows button causes the game to crash or the system to overheat. Not worth the trouble for me considering I have a desktop in the other room.

On the surface, versions #1 & #2 can't really be called laptops with only coming with 2 GB of RAM. (That's going to cause major lag issues even on a standard map size and all graphics set to minimum.) USB Keyboards have been around for a decade so it's despite what microsoft thought it's no big deal that a keyboard or even a better monitor could be attached to a tablet.

Surface Pro #3 which has some models with 4 GB RAM and others with 8 GB is the first in the series that's actually powerful enough to meet the notebook criteria. You'll still want to use something other than your raw finger for playing a game like BE.

Yes, the Surface Pro series also has overheating issues. According to the wikipedia article, for the latest version it's in part caused by the app that's monitoring the CPU temperature. :D
There was no detail on the wikipedia article for #2 saying weather it's the same app causing overheating on that or a different one.

On the surface, versions #1 & #2 can't really be called laptops with only coming with 2 GB of RAM. (That's going to cause major lag issues even on a standard map size and all graphics set to minimum.) USB Keyboards have been around for a decade so it's despite what microsoft thought it's no big deal that a keyboard or even a better monitor could be attached to a tablet.

Surface Pro #3 which has some models with 4 GB RAM and others with 8 GB is the first in the series that's actually powerful enough to meet the notebook criteria. You'll still want to use something other than your raw finger for playing a game like BE.

Yes, the Surface Pro series also has overheating issues. According to the wikipedia article, for the latest version it's in part caused by the app that's monitoring the CPU temperature. :D
There was no detail on the wikipedia article for #2 saying weather it's the same app causing overheating on that or a different one.
^^^
Sorry, you have bad info. The Surface Pro 2 comes with 4 GB of ram in the 64&128 GB versions and 8 GBs of RAM in the 256 and 512 versions.

I bought the 64gb and bought a separate microSD giving me another 64. 4 gb's of ram... That has been plenty for running Civ V. Civ is not a graphically intensive game. I have no issues running HUGE games. Been doing it for a year now.

Going in, I knew I didn't need crazy graphics since I only play Civ and minecraft. I saw that iPad could do some streaming stuff but I figured that wouldn't work if I didn't have internet which was a requirement since I wanted to play while flying on planes.

Playing Civ V while in an airplane is great. Alone, it has been well worth the 1k I dropped on the Surface Pro 2.

For those curious, I have the full windows based steam client downloaded on my SP2. It works great.

^^^
Sorry, you have bad info. The Surface Pro 2 comes with 4 GB of ram in the 64&128 GB versions and 8 GBs of RAM in the 256 and 512 versions.

It appears I was quoting the "Surface 2" wikipedia article and not the "Surface Pro 2", The Surface 2 has only 2 GB of RAM, the Surface Pro 2 has 4 GB with later models also having the 8 GB option. The Surface Pro 2 also includes a stylus.
All around the Surface Pro family starting with the SP2 looks like they really can be considered hybrids between tablets & notebooks which is now dated) while the "vanilla" Surface family really don't have the horsepower that notebooks are expected to have.

The surface pro 1, which is not a hybrid it is a tablet (I have a blue tooth keyboard for it but seldom use it; people may be confused by pics of the optional keyboard being attached) runs Civ 5 pretty well given the i5 1.7Ghz processor. It looks nice too. But ultimately I got tired of it and only play on my desktop with a 58" monitor and a much faster i7. Still I bet given a newer tablet BE will play fine on it though maybe you'll need to limit some things if you find the time between turns gets a bit long towards the end of your games. Of course if you already have a tablet there is no reason not to try it as you can always switch back to the desktop since you only need buy one copy of BE.

Edit: I did like the touch screen operation once I got used to them (didn't take long) that Civ 5 has and do miss that (but still prefer a large monitor...now what I really want is VR headset and hand gestures).

Edit again: somewhere in vastness of the Microsoft forums I posted on how to get Civ5 to run on a Pro1 with stability. I didn't have problems with it crashing once I figured it out...I suspect these probably don't apply to newer tablets anyway, the Pro 1 was after all the first in the series.

I should point out that my issues with the Pro 1 could have been fixed by using a mouse and some tweaking. It just wasn't worth it for me to try because I never feel like playing civ when I'm not at home anyway. And I have a desktop with a graphics card.

Top Bottom