[GS] Will Maori be the worst Civ whatsoever?

It may just be me, but the Maori can be geared toward fast religious wins.

The extra science from Voyage could beeline Astrology, extra production from woods/rain forests + free builder/pop can accelerate a holy site, and the extra faith from the UB can help buy an early religious victory.

The +2 embarked movement and starting with embarkation is very strong for quickly spreading a religion and the Toa's -5 Combat Str is worded so it should effect religious combat.

Sure their bonuses don't guarantee a religion or give them 1st choice of pantheon, but they come at the correct time.

From the first look I see a lot of bonuses
But I also see a short, scary line about Maori's unique ability,

resources cannot be harvested

Playing such a Civ must be a lot of fun. Magnus is no longer there, and every difficulty becomes triple.

In all my Civ 6 games, Deity, Immortal, Emperor, I've never felt the need to harvest a resource. I don't even consider it a trade-off; it's a non-issue.

That said, I wouldn't call the easiest civs the best civs; I'd call them the simplest civs.

They are better at winning a religious victory than Kongo.
Btw: I usually never harvest anything or chop unless I know I want to build something there eventually for adjacency purposes, and that's not as often as it should be. It shouldn't be a problem for me. Especially not if you get crazy yields.

As someone who avoids harvesting (I can count the number of times I've harvested on one hand), the only downside to the Maori is the inability to earn Great Writers. Could care less about not being able to harvest since I'm outside the so-called "harvest meta" that was exacerbated by the introduction of Magnus.

As someone who avoids harvesting (I can count the number of times I've harvested on one hand), the only downside to the Maori is the inability to earn Great Writers. Could care less about not being able to harvest since I'm outside the so-called "harvest meta" that was exacerbated by the introduction of Magnus.

I harvest stone quite a bit. It's hanging out where my campus is supposed to go.

It's an extremely fun sounding civ to play, but it could be the worst in the hands of the ai! Terrible coastal capital settling spots anyone?

It's an extremely fun sounding civ to play, but it could be the worst in the hands of the ai! Terrible coastal capital settling spots anyone?
I’m more looking forward to the AI squeezing into an expansive civ’s territory after a long (failed) voyage, and then almost immediately getting eliminated by the loyalty pressure.

The lack of ability to harvest resources (forests aren't resources, though) is just a way to dampen their snowball effect. Cities settled early on could easily be getting 1,000 extra production over the course the game just from map yields alone, and it's hard to match that even with limes and Magnus. They should be rather competitive, especially now that you can't just destroy the environment wantonly without it coming back to hurt you later.

is anyone else looking forward to OP harvesting everything in their first GS game and then being faced with inconveniences such as having their cities submerged by rising sea levels.

I basically never harvest resources unless it is very late in the game so I can't imagine that penalty will affect me in the slightest. I am more amazed that is the defining gameplay element of how someone plays.

Impossible to tell at the moment.

As others have pointed out, chopping has negative effects on the environment that may discourage or vastly change the chopping meta. Until those mechanics are demonstrated in a stream or something we can only guess.

If they were a civ in rise & fall rules then I’d be inclined to agree, given the specific goal of winning as fast as possible at least.

I have a feeling "chopping" is going to be devastating for climate change. Something I'd love to see, is if you chop too much in your city's area, your tiles start turning into desert.

I hope you are right. I think the whole chopping strategy is ridiculously overused and distorts true gameplay. If the developers could penalize players for overusing chopping via climate change consequences, I think it would help rebalance current gameplay strategies by making players less reliant on harvesting, while still allowing harvesting in general.

Stones and deers are important resources too. More importantly, copper and crab.

Food resources are good resources to hurry 10 pop, too.

I literally never harvest resources, so your argument is meaningless to me

Will lily continue to be the worst civfanatics poster whatsoever?

Moderator Action: Please stay on topic and discuss the issue, not the poster. leif

I hope you are right. I think the whole chopping strategy is ridiculously overused and distorts true gameplay. If the developers could penalize players for overusing chopping via climate change consequences, I think it would help rebalance current gameplay strategies by making players less reliant on harvesting, while still allowing harvesting in general.

I think there is a small change that can be made that will completely alter the chopping strategy, make lumber mills more useful, make industrial zones more powerful, and make the game a bit more realistic:

At Apprenticeship, replace "All mines get +1 production" with "Mines over a resource get +1 production. Mines and Quarries adjacent to an Industrial Zone get +1 production."

I think there is a small change that can be made that will completely alter the chopping strategy, make lumber mills more useful, make industrial zones more powerful, and make the game a bit more realistic:

At Apprenticeship, replace "All mines get +1 production" with "Mines over a resource get +1 production. Mines and Quarries adjacent to an Industrial Zone get +1 production."

This is useless. I chop trees only for production boost, and seldom build mines over it. You know, a game lasts short, if you're at turn 100, there's only ~50 turns for the rest of the game, thus turn-based production is seldom useful.

I don’t care if others think Maori are OP or suck. I’m still fizzing and can’t wait to start Kupe’s voyage in February and then try an play an environmentalist style. Until we play them in February we just won’t know how good they are.
My thoughts exactly.

I'm sure the devs have play tested them quite a bit too, so they would have tried to balance them. We will find out how balanced they are when we get to play as them in February...whatever the case, it will be a unique experience, and one that I'm very much looking forward to...

You know, a game lasts short, if you're at turn 100, there's only ~50 turns for the rest of the game,

Not everyone is in as much hurry as you.

Top Bottom