Will multiplayer require an internet connection/connection to Steam?

narmox

Emperor
I hope not, my friend and I will end up somewhere over the weekend where there's no Internet access at all, no cellphone reception.. Just peace and quiet to play :D

However if Internet is require to logon to steam in order to do MP, then... that would suck :(

I may have missed the info, so please enlighten/reassure me :)

cheers!

N

I would think MP would require internet connection, but I'm not completely sure.

A lot of game are leaving LAN play behind these they.. so I would not put to much hope into this if I was you...

That's pretty inconclusive so far.

I hope 2k Greg or someone from 2K can answer with certainty :)

N.

Q. Will it be possible to play multiplayer via LAN when running Steam in offline mode?
A. Yes, LAN play will function when in offline mode.

From the FAQ above.

The manual DOES say the opposite, however:

"The.first.time.you.play.Civ V,.an.active.Internet.connection.will.be.required..Any.time.thereaf- ter,.you.will.not.need.to.have.an.active.connection.to.the.Internet,.unless.of.course.you.wish. to.play.any.multiplayer.games.."

(yes that' s a copy paste from it, dunno why it's full of dots)

The manual DOES say the opposite, however:

"The.first.time.you.play.Civ V,.an.active.Internet.connection.will.be.required..Any.time.thereaf- ter,.you.will.not.need.to.have.an.active.connection.to.the.Internet,.unless.of.course.you.wish. to.play.any.multiplayer.games.."

(yes that' s a copy paste from it, dunno why it's full of dots)

Its not oposite. LAN play without internet is possible, but you have to first install and activate Civ5 online.

Its not oposite. LAN play without internet is possible, but you have to first install and activate Civ5 online.

What about the part that says "unless of course you wish to play any multiplayer games".

(and no, hotseat sucks, and AFAIK will not be in the game initially?)

I really do hope LAN play without internet is possible; so far, both interpretations are possible, based on different sources :confused::confused:

EDIT: Nevermind, checking the manual more closely now, page 190+ does talk about LAN play seperately from internet/steam play. So it should be fine. And I'll know for sure in 2 days!!!!

Top Bottom