1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Revolt in 1 Turn

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by rockhpi, Jul 15, 2019.

1. rockhpi

rockhpi Chieftain

Not being a guy who plays with a lot of conquering, I've heard a lot of loyalty complaints from warmongers but hadn't experienced it myself.

Last night, I was China and got attacked by Norway. After repelling the invasion, I decided on some punishment, so I took his Capital, which was right next to my border.

I saw the angry red fist and knew I should get a governor in there, repair the broken monument, and get a unit garrisoned (I had the +2 Loyalty for garrisoned units card). Then I hovered over the unrest-o-meter..."City will revolt in 1 turn". One turn? What good does that do me? I can't get that stuff done in 1 turn. So I let it revolt and defeated the revolutionists. "City will revolt in 2 turns" - still not enough time to get a governor and fix the monument. This happened 4 times, each time, the time to revolt got a little bit longer but never more than 4 turns, so I couldn't plug in a governor or get anything repaired. Is there more I could have done? That's very frustrating to spill that much blood and have nothing to show for it. I restarted a new game.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Governor loyalty applies immediately, even if the governor is not yet established. And you can buy the Monument to repair it, I believe. And you should already have had a unit garrisoned (the one that conquered the city). So all of the things you mentioned are doable in 1 turn.

As for more you could have done, you could also preemptively run the +2 loyalty for Governors card, or conquered other surrounding cities first. Conquering the city repeatedly probably killed its population, which would make it harder to hold. Maybe declaring peace with Norway was an option, either before or after conquering the city? Was there some other way to reduce grievances with Norway (helps with loyalty of their old cities)?

Julia97, Elhoim, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  3. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

...said newspaper headlines of a few European countries in 1918...

Could you post a screenshot of that situation? That would let people give more specific advice. His taken capital on your border revolting in 1 turn? That is a bit odd. Was Harald in Golden age and you in Dark? Did he have a lot of other cities nearby? Governor effect on loyalty is instant, you don't need to wait for establishment. In the absence of screenshots and further information I can only advise to bring more troops and stage the attack in such a way that you take multiple cities in a turn or two.

4. Beaver79

Beaver79 Warlord

Did you have a dark age last era and Norway had a golden? There is also a green card that gives +2 loyalty for a governor, also the military governor's second policy gives +4, but he has to be established for that to work.

Other than that, did you conquer a Norway city surrounded by other cities? If you take one of his that is on an edge of his empire it won't have as much loyalty pressure and you should be able to keep it. That and it will help you take his other cities since you have your own loyalty pressure going towards them.

5. rockhpi

rockhpi Chieftain

Unfortunately I didn't take a screenshot and I overwrote the save file. He may have been in a Golden Age, no idea, but I was in a standard age. I did assign the governor to the city and garrison the unit but saw no change to the number of turns until revolt, so I wasn't sure if those actions weren't helping or if the display doesn't update immediately. Either way, the next turn it revolted, the garrison was thrown out and the governor canceled. I was able to get it to around 4 turns eventually but nothing I did extended that.

He had a few, small cities nearby but not tons and it was right next to my empire.

6. bbbt

bbbt Deity

If it was the capital, he's still probably going to have a number of cities around it (even if it's on the edge of his empire) providing pressure. Also, the Government Plaza was likely in a neighboring city within range (providing +8 loyalty). With loyalty you have to plan the overall invasion more strategically (especially if you are going for something like the capital) and take out some of the 'support' cities as well.

BlackSmokeDMax likes this.
  7. Troy Bruckner

Troy Bruckner Prince

Chop something to boost the population.

8. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Wait, I thought the Government Plaza only gave +8 loyalty to the city it is in. Population provides pressure to other cities, but things that give loyalty in a city don't automatically result in pressure.

Meluhhan likes this.
  9. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Really? I thought it applied it with a radial loyalty boost. I've been placing that poorly if I'm wrong.

Edit: Apparently I may be making that up, the government plaza does appear to only be in the city it's in. I thought it functioned more like the Statue of Liberty.

I also wonder now how capital loyalty works - is the double population bonus only for the original cap, or also for the new cap if the original is sacked?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  10. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Razing a city in order to keep another is valid, in my view. I think you might also get some Loyalty out of converting the city to your religion, but don't quote me on that, I never play a religious game.

BlackSmokeDMax likes this.
  11. rockhpi

rockhpi Chieftain

I had a religion going but when your window is 1 or 2 turns, it's difficult to get someone up there and convert it in time.

12. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

If you founded a religion, having it match your religion is worth +3 loyalty. Having it be a different religion is -3 loyalty. Convert it while conquering it or ahead-of-time if you need every last bit of loyalty.

13. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

This exactly what I do in those circumstances. Just placing a governor will give you either the loyalty you need to keep the city right away or the the time to do other things to increase sufficient loyalty that have been shared.

14. BlackSmokeDMax

BlackSmokeDMax Chieftain

The key with loyalty is having a plan before you take the city. You should be prepared with multiple options. Be that governors, apostles(either before or after conquering), inquisitors(after conquering), money for buildings, taking/razing nearby cities. Raising the population of the taken city and your other nearby cities as quickly as possible or preemptively in your own nearby cities would be even better. It's also better to work in from the edges tangentially to the civ you are attacking rather than knifing straight into that civs empire. Anything you can do to have cities you own nearer and with higher pops is better.

15. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Really pressed cities will flip 3-5 turns after capture even if you exhaust all immediate options. There are a few useful actions to take:
    • Take multiple cities around the same time, they will pressure each other with your loyalty rather than enemy then.
    • Just leave it free city for now, take more cities, and use some junk/reinforcements to take it for good later.
    • Trigger emergency = +20 loyalty in target city, this can be very helpful to establish a foothold.
    • If it isn't a capital you can burn it, but it's rarely necessary.
    • In addition to governor in city in question, Victory in nearby city with + loyalty promotion will add a bit more.
    Some combination of these lets you hold cities even if you're taking land off England's Eleanor on deity. It only gets really annoying if you go on the offensive during a dark age.

16. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

The turn counter also usually doesn't update immediately. Best to look at the raw meter bar. When you capture a city, it should be at 50 loyalty, so if you parachute a governor in, you should only lose ~12 a turn (assuming the full -20 from pop), although sometimes more if you land on the wrong side of happiness or amenities.

But yeah, if you can't hold it, let it revolt, take some cities around it, and then take it back, and you should be in much better shape. Can't revolt if there's nobody around to revolt to.

17. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

In that situation, keep on conquering your opponent's cities. No remorse, no stop, keep the war machines going.
    Then you would be in a situation where there are several cities that is free cities and some are loyal to you. See if the free cities will soon flip to you and let them be. If not, eh, raze them and make new cities on top of their ashes.