Will someone please help me on editing my civIII game of the year edition... PLEASE!!

PoweroftheBobs

Chieftain
I want to learn how to add units scenarios and all of that stuff... on the mac.

I will be very greatful for any1 who helps this civilizationIII noob.

Sorry no one has responded. I'm not an editor expert, but here's what I know:

1. You need to make sure you are working with version 1.21g of Civ3. If you have an earlier version then get the 1.21g updater from the MacSoft support site.

2. You need to have a copy of the Civ3Edit program file, version 1.32.1, and place that in your Civ3 application folder, at the top level, NOT in it's own folder.

3. If you want to add units and other items you need to modify the Civ3Edit software using the NIB file that displays the Add/Delete buttons. There's a brief description of how to add the NB file in post 106 here and acouple of posts further down there's a link for the NIB file.

4. Once you have that lot operaitonal you need to go to the Creation and Customisation forum and seek out the tutorials on how to add things. Units require additions to the .BIC file using the editor, and they also have to have graphics files and additional text entries in the pediaIcons.txt and civilopedia.txt files. It's beyond the scope of this post and my feeble brain to provide all that information.

5. One point to remember: If you are editing text files then ensure that you use a text editor that preserves DOS line endings - CR/LF - otherwise Civ3 crashes comprehensively. There's a modified TextEdit link in my signature that allows you to specify the line endings when you save a file.

Now i understand why my modification of a previously existent map crashes very frequently or doesn't recognize the keyboard prompts (the B letter doesn't make the settler build a new city, nor in the city screen you are able to build settlers any more... :confused:

@Rohirwine: Which particular revelation helped you?

Where you say that original text must be preserved with original DOS endings (i'll try to confirm this via experimental approach later...)

I'm not sure that would explain all the things you are reporting. The B option not working, and not being able to build settlers sounds like a more basic problem in the .BIC file. Have you opened the .BIC again in the editor? There are various tricks reported recently in this forum to ensure that the changes you make are saved correctly in the .BIC. The Settler is the first unit in the file usually, and if anything is going to get corrupted the settler data is most likely to be hit.

I see. I'll check (and playtest it) to see what happens and when...
Thanks anyway
:)

Top Bottom