1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Steam allow me to play both Civ 6 and Civ 5

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by jmknpk, May 15, 2016.

1. jmknpk

jmknpk Chieftain

As with most application upgrades, I go through a period of using both the new version (while I'm learning) and the old system (because I just want to use or enjoy what I am very familiar with).

This was certainly true of every new version and upgrade in the Civilization series since Civ 2.

I have a seemingly reasonable fear that Steam might force me to use only Civilization 6 once my purchase has been completed. This would be enough of a reason for me to postpone purchasing Civilization until I am absolutely ready to make the switch. I would prefer to pre-order Civilization 6 and leave it on the shelf until I am ready to begin learning.

Can somebody with official involvement with Civilization help me understand whether Steam would allow me to play Civ 5 after Civ 6 becomes available?

2. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

You'll definitely still be able to play Civ 5, don't worry.

- Jon

3. m15a

m15a Emperor

Not official, sorry, but Steam allows Civ IV and V to be stored simultaneously and independently. Are there examples of sequels in the past (in any series) on Steam that haven't let both games be installed simultaneously?

4. Acken

Acken Deity

Of course it will.

Steam forces nothing. It's not a different version of Civ. It's another game.

5. Jon Shafer

There's some strangeness with DLC and expansions, but it never bleeds over into separate titles within a franchise.

- Jon

6. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy Lord of the Village of Idiots

When Civ V was created did they have some sort of general outline for the future expansions?

7. Jon Shafer

Nope. We just made the game, and plans for future content came together later after release based on what people wanted.

- Jon

8. jmknpk

jmknpk Chieftain

Thanks guys! Most of my favorite games are moving to Steam as a requirement or preferred service. I've used Steam for many years. I haven't been through major version releases in my major games on Steam yet. Appreciate the info

9. UncivilizedGuy

Interesting. You know I actually waited for the first expansion before I purchased the game. I was very surprised that religion was missing from the base game.

Was there any concern that the fans of the game would be turned off by the fewer game mechanics in Civ V versus Civ IV? Or did you guys think the overhaul to combat and the graphics would make up for that?

10. Jon Shafer

My pleasure sir!

It was mainly just a question of time and resources. We'd changed so much with Civ 5 that there was only so much time for everything. Were it an option I'd have made vanilla just as complex as BtS.

- Jon

11. rastak

rastak Emperor

What fine game it was. 2000+ hours for me.

Hope your game is going well. Looking forward to that and Civ VI.

12. Jon Shafer

Thanks rastak!

- Jon

13. spfun

spfun King

Liking all this Civ5 development info cheers for that Jon...

My question - I always wondered why in Civ 5 Bomber animations were like 10x the length of other units?. I used them in strategic mode to skip the animation. Anyway I really hope they cut out the flying time for Civ 6. :)

14. Jon Shafer

Your guess is as good as mine, my friend. ;) It was probably the last thing added to the game. And it's driven by programming rather than explicitly timed by an animator, which I'm sure is a factor.

- Jon

15. spfun

spfun King

Its really the only thing in Civ 5 that left me a bit puzzled at times. Having an AI DoW you and send 10 bombers took forever for the turn to end haha... :lol:

1800+ hours and my most played game on steam thanks for that. :)

16. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Steam doesn't care at all between having games in library and opening one or the other.

Less likely to work is attempting to run both at the same time. One weekend way long ago I did MP civ IV and civ V at the same time with the Polycast group, IV with a blazing timer. I must admit, while I could handle it that was pretty challenging to keep up with both and avoid being the bottleneck most turns in both :p.

I don't think Steam lets you run games like that though; I've tried opening Civ V + other titles and it doesn't seem to like it.

But just playing one or the other on a whim? No issue there.

17. UncivilizedGuy

Modding has given me a bit of a window into game development. I have learned how time consuming and complex creating a game like this can be. I appreciate you sharing some insights with us.

Off topic: I checked out a couple of your At The Gates videos last night. The professions system is intriguing. Wish you success on your current endeavor!

18. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

Steam disabling your access to an iteration of a game you paid for would be the most scandalous thing since they killed Caesar.

Sup Jon. Eo'd any lbe this month? Or is it lbe an Eo - I always get those mixed up.
    :mischief:

19. manu-fan

manu-fan Emperor

It seems that OP thinks that Civ 6 is actually a Civ 5 expansion. It's not, it's a different game. That's why you'll have access to both.

20. Jon Shafer

Thanks UG!

- Jon