1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Will the EU break-up before it can become a world power?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Omega124, Mar 5, 2011.

?

Will the EU internally fall apart

1. No, the EU will not cave under internal pressure

56.1%
  2. Yes, a rise of nationalism will destroy the EU

7.6%
  3. Some nations may leave, but it shall still exist, even in a limitied form

31.8%
  4. The US/Ruskies/Chinese/Whatever will personally come in and dismantle the EU, one nuke at a time!

4.5%
  1. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

The EU is revolutionary to the world; there has never been cooperation of nations of that big of scale. With a (mostly) unified currency system, increasing military cooperation, and the possibility of Turkey joining the ranks, the EU could soon rival the US and (if you consider it a or soon to be world power) China.

However, not everybody likes the pan-European institution. The UKIP (United Kingdom Independence Party), for instance, has 12 of the 7X (Getting conflicting reports on how much they have) British seats in the European Parliament, and one of the only two major parties of the election that had gained seats (The other being the British Nationalist Party).

Do you think that it would be possible in the near or far future that parties like the UKIP could gain enough power to dismantle the EU? Would some countries leave, but the EU as a whole still survive?

2. west india man

west india man Immortal

UKIP is a tiny, unpopular party that will never amount to anything.

3. Shekwan

Shekwan Kim Chi Quaffing Celt

If UKIP brings down the EU I will eat my foot.

4. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

While I don't think so I won't leave out the possibility that Europe is incapable of being unified. We are overdue for a German invasion.

5. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Whatever happened to Libertas, by the way?

6. Ekolite

Ekolite Deity

UKIP is tiny and unpopular. To be honest most educated people think they're a bit of a joke to be honest.

In my opinion the main threat to the EU is the ignorance of the general public about just how beneficial and in fact neccessary it is for the European people.

7. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

Considering it's a choice of being directly ruled by Brussels or indirectly ruled by Washington, I imagine most Europeans will choose Brussels. At least that way, they have a say in the supreme body, which will have concern for their welfare.

8. Cynovolans

Cynovolans Not in my dimension.

The EU will be brought down as soon as the revolutionary waves sweeping the Arab world reach them.

9. Monsterzuma

Monsterzuma the sly one

Several of the European bond markets are pretty much doomed, but there are too many implicit benefits to European integration for the Union to dissolve altogether.

10. SKILORD

SKILORD Insurgent

North African Union will overthrow them after it allows Turkey membership instead of the EU.

11. metatron

metatron unperson

While i voted 1 i'd like to point out that 3 may be considered true even today.
    Norway? Please join. Sweden? Denmark? Please join the Euro. We're running out of mon... er... your... stunning looks and awesome singing talent that's why we want you to join. Sign up and you get a free cookie! :D

<-- Imagine me with the Niles-Crane-desperately-telling-god's-honest-truth-smile.

12. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

Well, the governments of the world know all about legal ponzie schemes, so this would be no different... :p

13. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

The EU won't break up. Not for a long time. :)

14. Deego3

Deego3 Prince

They ran in the 2009 EU elections, across 8 countries and only won a signle seat.

15. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

'Rise Of Nationalism'? What is this, a poll from the mid 1800's?

16. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Nop, only another Omega poll. :D

17. Singularity

Singularity Infinite Density

If EU was an amalgan of all that is good about its member countries I would be extatic to see Norway join them. Instead it seems they spread the bad stuff like a viral disease and distill it into a mandatory policy.

Even though Norway isn't a member we're being forced stuff like EU data retention directive on to us through our obligations as a member in European Economic Area.

I don't think EU is an experiment that will survive the test of time, at least not as we recognize it today.

18. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

No, but they'll eject Poland beforehand.

19. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

I think ejecting their fastest growing nation about to adopt the euro is a terrible idea.

20. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Poland is the Mexico of Central Eastern Europe, it grows based on remittances