Will the EU break-up before it can become a world power?

Will the EU internally fall apart

• Total voters
I am even more aware that there exists to some degree a natural aversion to belittle the significance of euro official's own words ;)
You know what, if there is more or less a Greek consensus that the present problems are a product of a conscious result of a plot to bring down Greece and the EU, on the part of the EU leadership apparently, would you mind posting something to give the rest us an outline of how the word on the street in Greece puts this?

It's kind of not reported elsewhere apparently. Considering it's a pretty big assertion, one reason it's not being reported might actually be that it's seen as unseemly to kick the Greeks over it, when they are prostrate.

I'm sorry to say it, but it looks exactly like the kind of comforting crack-pot rumour that gets spread at times when a nation has taken a serious kick in the teeth, and is still struggling to get up again. I'm going to need some very good reason to believe a word of it.

Not that you are beholden to provide any of it of course, but I'd be very curious to see where this is headed. If there's an honest to goodness Greek victim-myth under construction as a result of the Euro-crisis, then that in itself is very significant for the EU.

I don't see the EU become a super power anytime soon. Right now, a Eurozone collapse is far more likely than that.

By the time this recession is over Germany will wind up being the hold of much European debt

Considering it's a choice of being directly ruled by Brussels or indirectly ruled by Washington, I imagine most Europeans will choose Brussels. At least that way, they have a say in the supreme body, which will have concern for their welfare.

Washington any day. That falls within the realm of diplomacy, and Washington can be played against others. It's an alliance as usual.

Direct rule from Brussels? I'd expect someone to blow up the EU's headquarter soon after. Nationalism is not dead in Europe, and under the threat of the EU (as it is arranged now) I'm quite happy that it isn't. Create a unified Europe rule from Brussels, and you'll soon get to see it tear itself apart in nationalist-driven civil war as soon as a deep economic (political) crisis hits. We're kind of in the middle of one now, I expect that even the mad national politicians who created the EU as a shield for themselves in normal times (for two reasons: 1) we have to carry out these policies, it's an EU directive... :rolleyes: OR 2) we're going to be big and important again, we'll run the whole EU! :rolleyes:) have better sense that to push for a superstate in a time of crisis. But they may be just foolish enough in Germany and France... the french certainly seem to be obstinate in their blindness to the ongoing foolery. The germans at least I expect to be politically (self)destructive , it's the country which started and lost two world wars, after all.

Whatever happened to Libertas, by the way?

What's his face, Ganley, got sick of all the questions about where the money was coming from, and why his products kept becoming part of weapons used to kill civilians, so it folded.

I'm sorry to say it, but it looks exactly like the kind of comforting crack-pot rumour that gets spread at times when a nation has taken a serious kick in the teeth, and is still struggling to get up again. I'm going to need some very good reason to believe a word of it.

Not that you are beholden to provide any of it of course, but I'd be very curious to see where this is headed. If there's an honest to goodness Greek victim-myth under construction as a result of the Euro-crisis, then that in itself is very significant for the EU.

It's pretty obvious who's calling the shots within Europe, who's setting interest rates, and why governments didn't yet default (the only possible exit) on unsustainable national debt (and wiped private debt also). Germany's game is going to end badly.

This revolutions in North Africa serve as a reminder to the pathetic europeans who still swallow all the talk of "necessary reforms" by their own governments that different politics are indeed possible, and that they have the power to change things, if they'll bother to move their asses. The diktats from Brussels - or Berlin, or, more specifically, Frankfurt - do not override sovereign power. And they certainly do not override reality! What cannot be paid will not be paid. The real issue is who loses the most. Current "leadership" (vested interests) in the EU would have workers and the growing number of unemployed pay, through the dismantlement of labour laws and social security. But when the assault on social security in Europe really starts to hurt large numbers of educated people, starting with, guess what, ever-rising youth unemployment and feelings of betrayed expectations - the disconnect between promises of "growth" and the reality - people will get move their asses. South Mediterranean in early 2011, North Mediterranean in late 2012... you can bookmark my words: barring a quick complete shift in policies (end the euro, for starters) the EU is headed to the dustbin of history. The revolutions (or rather, the counter-revolutions) against the poisonous liberalness policies supported from Brussels (but obviously also embraced by national governments) will be national, and as they happen the EU will break apart.

History never ends.

Regarding the not so distant future it all depends on if the struggling countries can get back on their feet (or stay on them). And I have no idea how that will go. So to answer the OP: I don't know.

Regarding the future of the EU in general there is still no solution in sight for its biggest problem: Identity, emotional bound. Without it the EU will continue to only find ts legitimization in economic advantages for the member states. And I doubt this is sustainable on the long run (people will not so much look out for the good of the EU but for the good of the member states) or coherent with the strong emphasize on the free market advocated by the EU (a free market is not characterized by a fair distribution of resources). And I don't know what could possibly bring about said identity. Marketing (while beneficial) won't do the trick. It has to make sense to people, it needs to seem authentic, real, original, sort of destined.

@innonimatu
How increases less social security youth unemployment?

The EU is already both broken up and a world power, so... meh.

C'mon people, the EU is not a world power. in fact, it's not even a player because it lacks a single voice in extra-european affairs.

C'mon people, the EU is not a world power. in fact, it's not even a player because it lacks a single voice in extra-european affairs.

Just a matter of time.

The dream of a united Europe is within reach!

That's about as likely as Mexico taking over the USA, and Australia will be a Chinese colony long before Islam has any true significance in european politics.

Continental Europeans are a woefully pessimistic bunch... The EU has problems, but they're not insurmountable.

UKIP are basically idiots.

Continental Europeans are a woefully pessimistic bunch... The EU has problems, but they're not insurmountable.
Right now it feels very much like a north-south divide.

UKIP are basically idiots.

It has to be bad when a Brit says a group of people are pessimistic.

As if world powers ever had a "voice" in foreign diplomacy. Unless you call the firing of cannons a voice.
Is your definition of world power "Political entity with a single voice in foreign affairs" ?

UKIP is tiny and unpopular...still larger and more popular then the Green party.

...and beating Labour into 2nd place in the last Euro elections are the actions of a "tiny and unpopular" party :lol:. I am not saying UKIP is large and important as the CON/LIB/LAB party but these words have precise meanings and they do not describe UKIP accurately.

Top Bottom