1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Will there be a Demo?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by muhtesem insan, Sep 14, 2014.

1. muhtesem insan

muhtesem insan Amateur Revolutionary

Will there be a demo before release? And if there will be, when should be expecting it?

2. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

There has been no mention of a demo.

3. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

Possibly. The demo for Civ5 was out one week prior to release.

4. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Using both SMAC and Civ V as a guide, probably.

If they follow the SMAC one, it would allow any civ to be selected but have a hard cap of 100 turns.

If they follow the Civ V one, it will be limited to 3 civs (at most, there are a lot more than 8 total civs in Civ V Vanilla)

Note that if there is a day zero patch that it's unlikely that the demo would include it.

5. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I thought the demo for Civ5 was out the day of release, not prior.

If I had to guess, that would be my guess. They've been having a lot of 100 turn playthroughs for people. I suspect a demo will be something along those lines.

6. Liex

Liex King

I hope so, as I'm not really sure if my PC can run it decently.

7. Karl0413

Karl0413 Prince

If they release a demo it is probably going to be a 100 turn affair and they are probably going to release it after Firaxicon (remember, one big draw of that event is being able to play Beyond Earth before the rest of the general public). So, if they release a demo, it would probably be second week of October at earliest.

8. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

It most definitely was not. It was nip and tuck whether there was even going to be a demo before release. It was released about a day or so before launch.

I do hope they've learned from their mistake.

9. rastak

rastak Emperor

How was it a mistake?

10. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Demo is a good thing - it allows players to actually touch the game and decide. If there's no demo, it makes people suspicious.

I've preordered XCOM after playing demo, my friends did the same. Hope it will be the case for CBE too.

11. Thormodr

They were massively behind schedule and they released a half baked game. There barely was a demo before game launch and only after people quite rightly complained. After all, if you are going to drop $50+ on a game, you should be able to see if your computer will run it.

So, I am hoping things will be better for this launch.

12. rastak

rastak Emperor

I agree on the wanting to see if the computer will run it.

I fully agree launch had issues with the game but I had taken three days off work if I recall correctly and I played it to death for three days having a great time despite some balance and other issues. I guess I'm such a fan of the series if things aren't perfect on release (which they never ever are) I'm perfectly cool with it as long as it gets fixed.

13. Thormodr

I used to be that way, but my good will has been used up. So now, I am much more wait and see.

I do hope that everything is done right and it is a big success. I'm not much of a sci-fi guy but if this does well, they'll be much more amiable to making Civ VI. :)

14. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

The release game is a demo for how it will be in two years after DLC and x-packs.

15. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

you might be right on that probably. I had to wait a few days for amazon delivering my box (sitting in austria and they shipped from germany on a friday), so i might just have felt like waiting a week for the game ;-)