Will there be any new resources for the new corporations to play with?

salty

Prince
aside from combining existing resources (corn + whatever) to make another existing resource (oil)

new resources (not suggesting that these would be good ones) such as titanium, pearls, plutonium, bird feathers, sea shells

I'm thinking salt because it was used a a food preservative for centuries.

Where would you find plutonium? By discovering active natural nuclear reactors?

Well since there are wonders that produce resources ie- hit singles maybe theres an important product that could be made. May be if they want to be a little egotistical they could make firaxis a wonder and Civ a resource lol!

Converting existing resources is neat. I was thinking that founding a corp should also allow a chance of discovering a previously unknown resource and capitalizing on it. The extra fun would be if that resource is across the world, prompting perhaps a military expedition. Though maybe a corp resource would be tradeable once you convert another civ's city to your corporation.

They could always add in the resources to the main game that are currently packaged in Warlords: Tea, Cotton, and Olives. They could change the Salt graphics from Marble to something unique and add that as well.

How common -- in real life -- are the resources needed for gunpowder?

I find it bothersome that my rivals can make gunpowder units immediately upon having the tech -- unless, of course, these materials are ridiculously common in real life. Then I understand. Otherwise, I'd like to see the comeback of, say, saltpeter from Civ III.

Rubber would be good, too. I liked the fact that if I were a powerful empire by the renaissance era, but far from the equator, a little bit of colonization was necessary to ensure my place in the industrial/modern world.

I also hope that the corporations aren't simply resource-conversion mechanisms. I don't think it's of much use (beyond providing resources for myself) if the rest of the world has these resources or are annoyed enough to not trade with me. I'm hoping that there is a corporation through which I can make ridiculously large amounts of money if I put my mind to it.

How common -- in real life -- are the resources needed for gunpowder?

I find it bothersome that my rivals can make gunpowder units immediately upon having the tech -- unless, of course, these materials are ridiculously common in real life. Then I understand. Otherwise, I'd like to see the comeback of, say, saltpeter from Civ III.

Gunpowder is actually quite easy to make = sulfur + charcoal +saltpeter (potassium nitrate)

Of the three the hardest one to obtain/purify is saltpeter although it occures naturally in the leech beds of organic waste piles (think rotting piles of used vegetation) - the key to poweful powder is the purity of the saltpeter and getting the ratios of S + C + KNO3 correct.

And it gets easier and easier as chemistry improves. But arguably it could require a resource initially.

Gunpowder is actually quite easy to make = sulfur + charcoal +saltpeter (potassium nitrate)

Of the three the hardest one to obtain/purify is saltpeter although it occures naturally in the leech beds of organic waste piles (think rotting piles of used vegetation) - the key to poweful powder is the purity of the saltpeter and getting the ratios of S + C + KNO3 correct.

There most likely won't be new resources in game, but they could be represented in game by corps.

Examples:

Pearly Whites Corp. (Consumes Clam, Produces :D or $)
Moonshiners (Consumes Wheat, Produces a lot of :D)

I don't think they will add new strategic resources, but I could see more luxury resources and trading stuff.

Coffee, anyone?

a bit off topic, but when Warlords came out the first thing I noticed were the mad food capital sites. Also there seemed to be more resources than Vanilla. Im sure it's true. you can see he difference if you go back to Vanilla. At the time i thought thay wanted the improved AI to have more resources to use.

So, BTS could make a further change. We could see a different kind of distribution of resources, more of them or less of them. Different kinds of capital sites. More copper would be nice, but we might see less. Same with iron and horse.

plutonium is a funny suggestion since it is man-made it would have to act like the entertainment resources.

Top Bottom