1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

will there be any weather effects?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Cissnei, Apr 27, 2013.

1. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

Oh, THAT commercial. :lol:

2. Greizer85

Greizer85 Emperor

I must point out that this commercial is very unrealistic; in all actuality, the Sun would flare up due to the extreme amount of sexuality that the woman in the gold suit is emitting. ;)

As for weather effects in Civ - no. Fix the ******* AI first.
    Edit: I'd like to have global warming back though (whether it is real or not :)) - not as drastic as in Civ II, nor as insignificant as in Civ III, but somewhere in between. And make it effects more realistic! I hated how the whole world turned into a giant swamp in Civ II. Make it raise sea levels and turn snow into tundra, tundra into grass, grass into plains, plains into desert, desert into... Well it could just stay desert, being already desert-y enough. :lol: It would be a gradual process and you could act to stop it... How about invading those polluting sweatshop nations and razing their factories to the ground so you could keep yours up and running? How's that for emissions trade, eh? :D

3. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

Oh, it's real alright. Just ask a tired polar bear.

4. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Perhaps I over-simplified by suggesting global trends, which in the timespan of Civ games are hardly uniform, true. I was thinking along the lines of events in this wiki timeline: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_environmental_history

For example, the Sahara was just beginning to form 4000BC (it was previously savannah), Gilgamesh suggests that present-day Iraq was covered by forest in 2500BC, etc. Rapid ecological shifts that have occurred in the last 6000 years have affected history, and every ecology is constantly shifting gradually. Adding an ecology-change mechanic would primarily be for flavor and immersion - it would help make the world feel more alive I think. But like I said, not really worth implementing in a Civ game, it's beyond the scope as well as the fact that random tile changes would indeed be annoying.

5. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

Oh, oh, I have one!

I read that around the time Scipio Africanus was landing in North Africa, the coastline would have been covered in pines. :crazyeye::crazyeye:

6. wigwam

wigwam Prince

Weather would've been really cool in the Civil War scenario—the terrain changing with the seasons, making it harder or easier to move different types of unit around, maybe even changing tile yields.

But yeah I agree that in the main game it doesn't make sense, and it's probably not worth the effort for one scenario.

7. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I think there's an argument for slow ecological change. However, a game like Civilization thrives on predictability. One of the points is to know what to expect so you can then plan ahead to achieve your goals. If your civilization was well-founded but there's nothing you can do because the place you chose is slowly turning into the Sahara desert, I think people would be understandably upset.

In other words, it's a great idea, just not perhaps for Civ5.

8. Stove

Stove Chieftain

No, it is confirmed to not be added by Dennis

9. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

In scenarios, it would be brilliant. If the scenario covers a short enough time that turns take less than a year, it makes complete sense for some tiles to change to being warmer and higher yield in the summer and colder and lower yield in the winter. It would add a lot to the immersion of certain scenarios.

10. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

Global warming would be completely appropriate. As some have noted, humans have wrought all sorts of ecological change, particularly in the most ancient civilized areas. So the fact that humans impact their environments is an important facet of civilization that I think is every bit as important to model in the game as religion or espionage.