1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Will there be expansions?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by ShadowWarrior, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Prince

This has probably already been discussed in other posts. I am wondering if anyone has heard news of an expansion to Beyond Earth being worked on by Firaxis?

2. ThorHammerz

ThorHammerz zzz

Who knows? They are certainly doing a "2.0 rework" of some things, but the scope and depth of such changes remain to be seen.

3. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

This game doesn't have any depth. As a game reviewer remarked, it's an IOS port, so I wouldn't expect any expansions.

4. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

largely depends on when Firaxis plans to announce civ6:

1. a civ game every five years -> will announce civ6 this year (that is this summer). surely no expansions for civ:be.
    2. the civ5 bnw expansion was a year late from schedule ->will announe civ6 next year/summer. probability of a civ:be's expansion is very high.

wat? civ:be is not an iOS port. Starships seems like an iOS port. :mischief:

5. Fins

Fins Warlord

Some people consider Starships being an "expansion" to Civ:BE. And there was some discussion on reddit about things people would like to see in a "proper" expansion, too. Other than that, i didn't hear anything else...

6. Scirocco16V

Scirocco16V Warlord

For what it's worth, steamdb shows they added a 2nd DLC about a month ago. It's ID # matches with a depot added at the same time called "Mouse Quest" and marked as DLC. I wouldn't read anything into the name; ever since someone found the name for BNW on steamdb before it was announced they've used code names. For example the conquest of the new world deluxe scenario was listed as "Bison" until its release. If I remember correctly, "Mouse Quest" showed up around when the articles saying they were working on BE "2.0" were published, which leads me to believe they are the same thing.

7. Gort

Gort Emperor

Will there be expansions?

I really have no idea.

8. Fins

Fins Warlord

I agree, you do have no idea. If everything would be measurable in "how many people spend time with", than what do you think would be one of best things in the world? I'll give you few tips: it's solid, it's (usually) white, it has a lid and a button to flash few liters of water. :lol:

Jokes aside, those stats sure shows that Civ:BE _needs_ an expansion, and really good one, fixing its shortcomings. Popularity is not required for a game to be epic and awesome, but it sure helps, these days. I hope Civ:BE will get 'em.

9. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Naysayers will naysay.

Optimists will be optimistic.

Firaxis haven't said anything definite beyond a '2.0' improvement to BE.

10. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

you imply that Firaxis is capable of correcting their plans when something unexpected happens (like a fail). I do not share your optimism. :D

if civ6 is planned to be released in 2016, then we might actually see an expansion to civ:be. I do not expect Firaxis to create an expansion for Starships.

so... there seems only two options: civ6 or a civ:be expansion. :dunno:

11. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Well, we could see the "2.0" version of BE released early summer and civ6 released Winter 2015.

12. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

We'll know in two months - E3.

No announcements - no expansion.

13. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

no.

if civ6 is to be released in Q4 2015, it should have been announced at least six months prior to pump the hype.

civ5 was announced on 18 february 2010 and was released on 21 - 24 september 2010.

14. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

If they announce civ6 at E3 which is in June, that would still be 6 months before December which would still be Q4 2015, right?

15. Scirocco16V

Scirocco16V Warlord

You seem to be forgetting that Firaxis has another very popular property besides Civ: X-Com.

Beyond that, I don't think we really have any idea how many teams are working inside Firaxis and thus how many projects they can have on the burner at the same time. They have said they don't hire employees just for specific projects, so all their people are working on something(s). I believe they said Starships was done by a different team from BE. BE was done by different team leads than Civ 5 BNW. I think X-Com was a different team than the BNW people also. That sounds like potentially 3 or 4 teams? Though I expect the walls between teams are rather porous.

If Ace Patrol, a $5 game, got an expansion, I don't see why Starships couldn't. Besides, they are certainly still working on it. A new build just entered firaxis q&a 3 hours ago. The release build was 532360, the current public build is 563486, the current 2k qa build is 579640 and the current firaxis qa build is 586744.

16. Acken

Acken Deity

Who knows. Doubt it but that's probably my bias for not being excited by it.

17. nimling

nimling Prince

A lot of problems could be fixed if 1UPT were removed, and ranged combat were less stupid - although ranged is slightly less stupid in BE than it is in Civ5. Also, like Civ5, the game is mostly about filling buckets, rather than making tradeoffs... the only plan then is to figure out how to fill buckets faster.

Really, a lot of things people dislike about the game are the fault of being based on Civ5, with all its flaws.

I'm pretty sure 1UPT is here to stay unfortunately.

I just hope 2.0 is a free patch. I don't see a paid patch selling very well.

18. rastak

rastak Emperor

I sure hope so. Best idea since Civ 1 where your entire stack was destroyed if you lost the combat so you almost never wanted to stack things. Civ IV and to a lesser extend III just bored me with the giant stacks.

19. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

No one outside of Firaxis & 2K knows at this point.
    The next game conference is already above.

Moderator Action: Thread closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.