1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Will there be Rhye's and Fall of Civilization 6?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by Genghis Khaiser, Jul 9, 2016.

1. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

But as I said, that would render games unplayable on many PC's, and would have a lot of useless land (from a history-simulating perspective).

The problem is that units need a lot more land in Civilization V. The size of civilisations doesn't scale with that, in history.

2. OnceAKing

OnceAKing Warlord

I Could be wrong but didn't Rhye start developing for a game company? He may not have time to do it, even if it is feasible

3. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

It doesn't have to work for everybody's pc. I've had unmodified games that wouldn't work until I got a new computer.

4. moopoo

moopoo King

Rhye used a heavily modified map in Civ 4, where Europe was greatly enlarged. And as you showed in that screenshot earlier, the mod worked with nations like France having as few as one or two mainland cities. A few tweaks would make this easily doable to civ5 (and would benefit greatly from the use of City States instead of the Generic Independent/Celtic nations used in civ4), and from what we've seen so far there's very little to suggest it wouldn't work in civ 6.

5. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

That's Civilization IV, where cities are smaller and armies don't need land.

In Civilization V, cities are larger and armies need a lot of land.
    In Civilization VI, cities will need more land, what with all the districts.

6. Pepo

Pepo Prince

With 64 bit support and multi-core support, Civ VI is going to allow for really big maps , so I think that it is perfectly dodable. In fact the 64 bit support is the thing I'm more interested in, as it will allow for truly epic games ( as long as the game favors wide; if it favors tall then it will be a waste)

7. chaosprophet

chaosprophet Warlord

Civ6 could even be better to model things if you think of a city as actually an big region, where each district is a city. So if one country with just one city, you can have the city center named as the capital, and the districts can be placed where other cities should be, and trying to make it so the science district is on where the most science focused city is, etc.

8. skyclad

skyclad Prince

Yes this is what I must do for my immersion as well.

9. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Yeah, the conceit that the Civ4 scale is anywhere to realistic is... odd. Civ4 and Civ5 have very similarly sized maps and in both one large city can easily take up as much space as a medium-sized country, especially without an upscaled Europe. What worked in favour of Civ4 were villages as those could represent smaller cities, making cities proper more the core of urban sprawls.

Civ6 districts basically fill the same niche, making Civ6 and Civ4 about the same scale. If mods can add names to district (especially if they're location-correct like in RFC), Civ6 could actually be a great representation of the world map. The potential for larger maps with modern PCs and higher memory limits is just the extra gravy.

10. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

As a huge RFC lover, I feel sad to say that I don't think civ6 will be capable of supporting it (if I understand the civ6 maps and districts right that is). Theres simply no space on the map for multi tile cities and improvements as well.
    That being said, a localised version of RFC (Sword of Islam, Europe, Classical World, etc) could be possible thanks to the much larger scale.

11. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Dear all,

thank you for showing your affection to RFC. I've been notified about this thread and I'd like to add a couple of things. This is my first post in CFC in a long while!

First thing: I'm keeping an eye on Civ VI. With the right conditions (modding tools + time to spend on it + people helping) it might become possible to produce a new RFC.

The work on Civ V couldn't be carried on at some point because I was getting random crashes which were not possible to track. Some parts of the game were also not customisable as the SDK wasn't available. It's likely that the full game with expansions wouldn't have these problems if the mod were rewritten from scratch. However, now it doesn't make sense to put any more effort on a 6 years old product when the sequel is coming out.

Regarding the map, I agree with the concerns about movements. Actually the map in Civ V's RFC was large enough to allow decent sized empires - units could move around, at least in early game. I can't guarantee for late game, though.
    However, there can be a solution to anything: I have a few ideas on how to manage this size problem - let's just see if modding tools allow such heavy modifications.

Cheers

12. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Great to hear from you! I happily played your mods for many an hour, back in the day. :D

Hope all the conditions (time for you, help and great modibility) are aligned for a Civ VI mod. :)

13. pholtz

pholtz King

Ed Beach did say in one of the videos that the community would be pleasantly surprised by the modding capabilities of Civ VI. The talk about a whole new engine etc. is promising. Unfortunately the problems modding Civ V was yet another thing that split the Civ community ( into Civ IV and V players). I really hope Civ VI will help bring the community back together.

14. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

Great to hear from you again Rhye. :goodjob:
    It was quite saddening that Civ5 didn't get an RFC of its own. Let's hope Civ6 will meet the required conditions for RFC.

15. moopoo

moopoo King

I hope Ed and the team really are keeping an eye on the forums to the degree they've alluded to in their dev videos, and see the demand for the kind of Mod tools that were available in Civ 4

16. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Just for the record...

They said that about Civ 5 too :rolleyes:

17. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

I disagree with Rhye.
    IMO the unstacking of cities and the 1UPT can't work with an RFC-mod. At least not to the degree with what we are used to in Civ IV.
    While I don't mean any gameplay criticism with this (hopefully gameplay in vanilla Civ VI will be great), the scale and thus the immersion is just totally ruined for scenario-type mods.
    Not only on a whole Earth map, but on continent maps too. We already had some interesting conversations about this, and RFC Europe definitely won't be ported to Civ VI, at least not by me. Leoreth said the same about DoC.
    So yeah, I agree with everything need_my_speed posted above, those are exactly the reasons why I'm very sceptical about the moddability (or the adaptability to be even more precise) of Civ VI.

18. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
    One of my favourite mod in Civ4...:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

19. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Well, the team is mostly me for quite a while now, with some minor help every now and then :)
    On the other hand, RFC-modding for Civ IV is still VERY active. For example RFCE already had 2 full releases this year, RFC Classical World being very active recently, and DoC being active - well, constantly! :D
    I advise everyone who liked RFC to try out DoC (RFC Dawn of Civilization by Leoreth), which is the the vanilla RFC boosted with 5-6 years of development, improving every aspect of an already superb mod.
    And yeah, non whole-world RFC-type mods like RFCEurope and Sword of Islam are also pretty evolved, with a huge fanbase.

But to be a little more on topic, if anyone is interested this is one of the threads about RFCE (and RFC-type mods in general) in Civ VI:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=568339

Publicola likes this.
  20. rastak

rastak Emperor

For bonus points, where did Rhye get his name? Don't ask me why I remember this all these years later.