Will there be Rhye's and Fall of Civilization 6?

I used to play RFC in cIV and I loved it. Also missed it in ciV. Speaking about the unstacking issues here are my thoughts on the gameplay. And I want to warn you, perhaps you won't like the basic idea, because it's taken from an other game. So please don't crucify me for bringing this idea up ;)

First, about unstacked cities: What about -- as someone mentioned -- making the city center the local capital and the city borders act as a province. Districts and improvements represent smaller cities inside the province. The encampment improvement already shows a health bar and something that looks like a city name space without a city name in it. Kinda feel that there might be a possibility to crack it up and place text in there. And also perhaps one can expand this functionality to other districts aswell. Hell, you might even be able to have every of this "smaller cities" having their own building tree. It would be managed from the local capital. So like you would build a "Dresdner Frauenkirche" ("Church of Our Lady" in Dresden/Germany) inside the Dresden "disctrict" which is actually part of the Berlin/Prussia "province" (don't nail me on the accuracy just now pls! its only about getting the idea)

And now about the battlefield. As already mentioned it might get pretty dense and stuck on some parts of the map (Japan, Central America ... :crazyeye: ). Ok here comes the infidel's idea: Total War styled battles? So we would kinda stack the units to a point, with caution of not recreating the stack of doom from before ciV. Like depends on several gameplay aspects you can have like up to 10 units in a stack and then when 2 (or even more) stacks meet each other on the map, they enter a battlemap. here you have a bigger map with enough space for maneuvering. and now all the stacked units are actually unstacked and you play them turn by turn. Of course that means that the battle maps would have to be created somehow. Not sure if it's actually a good idea to build them all manually, so perhaps some kind of script generating those 32x32 maps (or whatever size would be the right one).

I have nothing to contribute as I know nothing about the modding tools but damn, seeing you post Rhye gets my hopes up! :D
A mod like RFC needs more people than "just" programmers. (Don't get me wrong programmers, it's good to have you!!!) There would be like a sh*tload of work with datamappings, gameplay issues like balancing, historical accuracy, ideas for scripted events, visuals from plain grafics to 3d modelling, the list goes on and on. Just because you can't mod/programm doesn't mean you can't contribute. If you have spare time and you want to be helpful, I'm sure there would be plenty of work for you to get the mod up and running ... Except for the case that Rhye is a total 200% sociopathic lonewolf with too much free time who do not like others to intervene with his baby :shifty:

I don't know how much my relatively meager programming knowledge could help, but I'd love to contribute to the making of an RFC for Civ6 in any way possible.

Sorry for the unpopular opinion but what would modders / players gain from Civ 6? It's only worth it to move on from Civ 4 if we can have more tiles, more cities, and more players/civs, while keeping the old RFC mechanics.

The only problem with Civ 4 was shrunken Pacific. I don't even care about enlarged Europe.

Last edited:
This would be epic, fantastic, cool..(throw in favorite awesome phrase)!

I still play the Civ4 version...it a little dated but still. :cheers:

One good news is that we can stack units on end game in civ6. If you make this stacking available in early game it could solve some units lack of space problems.

So, after the game was released, what do you think now?
I have the feeling that Civ6 is a very different game, in terms of scale, with such extended and far apart cities. Rather than the world, it feels like playing on a scale similar to Age of Empires. Adapting the game to a world map seems to be quite challenging and would require alterations to the nature of the game.
Furthermore, the game seems very deep, and packed with options. It doesn't need other layers of complexity: whatever new addition should be kept quite simple.

I have the feeling that Civ6 is a very different game, in terms of scale, with such extended and far apart cities. Rather than the world, it feels like playing on a scale similar to Age of Empires. Adapting the game to a world map seems to be quite challenging and would require alterations to the nature of the game.
Furthermore, the game seems very deep, and packed with options. It doesn't need other layers of complexity: whatever new addition should be kept quite simple.

Would it be possible to change the name of districts to names of smaller cities? Like Washington DC's harbor district being Baltimore?

Or London's industrial district being Manchester?

I feel like that'd give it more immersive scale, but I don't know the programming challenges for that.

You even considering porting the mod to civ 6 is great news!
A solution could be to just limit even more the number of districts and make them more powerful and/or multipurpose. (maybe more types that are combinations of the already existing ones? Making them mini cities on their own)
About the number of units, make them more expensive and able to stack variuous classes (ex infantry on top of archers, somewhere there is already a mod that does it).
The game has already the concept of corps and armies, maybe those could be expanded further.

Also even in civ 4 you made Europe and other parts of the world more "lush" than others, just port the concept in 6 :p

I don't think there is a big need to change things drastically.

Oh yes! Now that the mod tools are finally released, please please please please PLEASE make this for Civ VI!

Hello Rhye,

It's great news that you are willing to make the mod in civ vi. Your mod in civ iv is brilliant and makes me still play this game today. Sadly both civ v and civ vi feel incomplete without it.

I think the two most important features of the mod are:
1) Unique historical victories: this is the game changer, it makes the game feel new and different with each civ. Vanilla game in higher levels always end up in domination conquests.
2) Civilization spawn time: It helps keep the balance in technologies and power throughout the world. It is great in order to play with the UHV and feel a more historically accurate game.

A first version of the mod with these two features would be great.

If you need any help with the coding I can be available. I have never done any mods for civ vi but I am sure I can manage learn quickly, specially if it's something repetitive like writing the UHV conditions of each civ or creating new civs.

Hopefully we will see this mod completed one day.
Best regards to all

Great to see that you're interested in potentially making RFC for Civ6! Now that modding tools are released I definitely want to play an active role in making the mod. While I don't know the modding tools/languages that Civ6 uses, I know basic OOD (largely in Java, though I also know C++ and Python somewhat well) and dabbled in Civ4 modding. Please keep me informed on if you start coding/doing stuff, I really want to help out.

As far as mechanics go, I brainstormed an entire google doc full of ideas for a Civ6 port of RFC. Maybe I'll post the doc here, but the main ideas I had were:
-Corps/armies would need to be available MUCH earlier to reduce unit clutter (corps in classical era and armies in medieval/early renaissance)
-Eurekas would need to be nerfed/made more difficult to acquire (maybe only 33% boost)
-Religion would need to change, the best implementation imo would be to have them found themselves and have preset beliefs and the controller of the holy city would get the "founder benefits" (not sure how doable this is though)
-Stability
-UHVs/spawn times/spawn locations
-More aggressive barbs (maybe even prescripted waves of barbarians to represent the Huns, Seljuks, Mongols, etc)
-Some way to work in city-states to be historical

As for what to implement first, I agree with Azama that UHVs/historical spawns are the most important aspects of the mod and should be implemented first.

Top Bottom