Will there ever be a Civ V 'war academy'?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by lolocoster, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lolocoster

lolocoster Chieftain

Like the one we have for Civ IV? I remember when I first bought Civ IV and came here to discover the war academy which taught me so much about how to play.

Granted, I no longer really need a war academy, but I think it would be a great idea to have one for newer players, and even veterans like me, because frankly we can all learn and benefit from this

2. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully there will be more strategy guides once (or if) the game eventually settles a bit, and stops being radically nerfed with each patch (which results in old strategies becoming obsolete).

3. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

As said, will probably come when the game settles down and gets a few major patches.

4. cman2010

cman2010 King

civ 5 is not civ 4, civ 5 is more simple, with less decision making, and depth so I doubt there will be a need for a war academy.

5. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

There are enough paths through the game to make a war academy.

6. Smote

Smote Emperor

yeah, its only chess as opposed to go, there's no need for strategy

7. SpearMan153

SpearMan153 Prince

There is the Civ5 - Strategy Articles section under the Civ5 Strategy and Tips section which is pretty much the same thing

8. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

Nonsense. Civ 3 got a War Academy, and it's miles behind Civ 4 or Civ 5. :)

9. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

It definitely needs one. Like it or not, it'll be around for a while. And it'd be handy to have all the info around in somewhere organized (that gets updated for each patch)

10. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

War academy will both emphasise for strategic moves when you fight and how you can get T units, U population, V wonders, W techs (and which ones), X cities and Y buildings in Z turns giving this or that to be able to do this or that later, etc.

Lot of possibilities and explanations needed for such things. We defenitively need a war academy. Maybe they wait for a more stable game because patches can drastically change these strategies.

11. cman2010

cman2010 King

I dont even think you played civ 3 when it came out the game was ten times better than civ 5 for its time.

12. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Hmmm...

We've already got quite some major patches. How many more do you expect to come to save the game?

13. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

Rule 1 of Academy: Tech to horse, acquire horse resource while teching, use horse everywhere.

Rule 1 of Academy: Tech to longsword, acquire iron resource while teching, use longswords everywhere.

Edit: Now longsword wil lbe nerfed

14. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

the Civ5 War certificate, maybe...

Academy is too much of a word for this game...

15. cman2010

cman2010 King

agreed we dont need an academy for this game, its really simple if your low on happyness just build a happyness building want more stuff just go to war and puppet, oh and hit next turn alot.

16. Xzylvador

Xzylvador Warlord

Doesn't seem to me like the targetted audience for Civ 5 is the kind that likes to, you know... read and learn and other things like that.

Maybe a 3 minute YouTube video tutorial... should be plenty to beat CiV's AI... make sure it has some pop or r&b music in the background to keep the target audience focused.

17. cman2010

cman2010 King

awsome post I agree.

18. Nares

Nares Emperor

This forum really needs a +1 feature.

The worst part is, it seems the developers really intended for it to be this way.

19. man-erg

man-erg Warlord

Oddly enough, I've occasionally noticed that that the numbers viewing "Civ 5 Strategy and Tips" here" has been not much higher than that viewing "Civ 4 Strategy and Tips". And the gap appeared to be closing. I just checked before posting this and for the first time that I've noticed, the numbers viewing Civ 4 Strategy is actually higher than that for Civ 5 !!!!

This does objectively imply that Civ 5 is far simpler than Civ 4 as you'd assume there are many more people playing Civ 5 at the moment. I only player a few hours of 5 before passing it up, but I never felt the need to check out strategy. Unlike 4 where I spent many hours reading all the discussions on different strategies and how all the elements related in a way that they just don't in Civ 5.

This is both the strength and the weakness of Civ 4. A game that requires such studious effort to win on any level past Noble (TBH, I couldn't beat it on Noble without swotting up!) perhaps just isn't deemed acceptable to todays low attention span market.

20. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

Considering it was 10 times worse than Alpha Centauri, which was released before it, you may wish to amend that statement.

beetle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.