Votes: 13 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Whats a bomb?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm special, nukes dont hurt me!

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
There could be peace on this world. Unfortunately that would include, the human species ‘not being’ on this world… :(

Originally posted by Panda
All praise the Mushroom Cloud, bringer of peace!
The mind boggles when trying to unlayer the ironies of this statement.
Originally posted by Cimbri
There could be peace on this world. Unfortunately that would include, the human species ‘not being’ on this world… :(
This is sometimes called "Carrion Peace" or "The Peace of the Unburied Dead." Its not a goal in my mind.

You cannot put the genie back in the bottle. As time goes by and the physics is more and more understood, it will become easier and easier to build fission bombs given the raw material of radioactive waste. Explosive fusion by some form of pinching or pumping is likely not that far away. To outlaw bombs would be akin to what Japan did in the early 17th century: banishing all guns. By the time of the American Civil war, firearms were developed to such a point that a very small number was able to shift the balance of power in a nation with the population of France, England, Spain and Germany combined.

It is always dangerous to put your head in the sand. It also looks rediculous from the outside.

J

Originally posted by rmsharpe
The only people that would abolish nuclear weapons are the people who'd be the last to use them.

If the U.S., Britain, France, and Israel disarmed, then Russia, China, Pakistan, and India would keep them, if not construct more, to try and develop their influence over smaller countries.

Don't count on it.

Of course, seeing as how eastern countries are so much less civilized than the west. Those damn easterners, they are so decieving!

To be honest, I don't care. It ain't going happen in my lifetime, or my children's lifetime or my children's children's lifetime. Anyway peace is not necessarily a good thing. A prefer freedom and war to oppression and peace.

Originally posted by MrPresident
To be honest, I don't care. It ain't going happen in my lifetime, or my children's lifetime or my children's children's lifetime. Anyway peace is not necessarily a good thing. A prefer freedom and war to oppression and peace.

Said like someone who hasn't had his house bombed.

When you are the little guy, you are the one who dies for the "freedom" of the bigger guys.

Originally posted by Ohwell

Of course, seeing as how eastern countries are so much less civilized than the west. Those damn easterners, they are so decieving!

Your left-wing trolling is not appreciated. Russia, China, India, and Pakistan all have something to gain by having Western nations disarm.

Russia, China, India, and Pakistan all have something to gain by having Western nations disarm.

But you must admit that it was president Kenndedy who bedazzled the american populace by claiming the Russians were ahead in their nuclear arsenal. As a matter of fact, my teacher in cold war history told me, the US were at that time way ahead in terms of nuclear arsenal.

I believe that if the west did de-nuclearize then the others would follow. However the perception is that it would leave the west open for destruction in a conventional war since we are so few people consuming so very much.

The only people that would abolish nuclear weapons are the people who'd be the last to use them.

If the U.S., Britain, France, and Israel disarmed, then Russia, China, Pakistan, and India would keep them, if not construct more, to try and develop their influence over smaller countries.

Don't count on it.

Hhhmm. I wonder how long it would be before technology would allow us to verify the presence or lack of nuclear weapons?

If this technology existed and was reliable, I wonder how many nations would be willing to go all in and pledge to eliminate theirs?

I guess it would only take one to ruin it all, and certainly there will always be one who's nationalist's insist that they need them to maintain their regional influence, or whatever. Or would insist, and frighten his people into believing, that the technology doesn't work, despite whatever evidence there was.

Other than something like this, I fear you are correct. We are stuck with them, and the gun barrel pointed at the planet's head they represent, for a long time.

BTW, anybody ever see 'The Beach'? With Gregory Peck? Supposed to take place after a devastating nuke war that has fatally contaminated the planet....the last safe haven being Australia. The rest of the planet is dead from blasts or radiation. The end of the movie is they all die off, one by one....the end. No more humanity. Period.

They all ask themselves, 'How could we let this happen?', but of course, probably half of them made excuses of why we needed them before we smoked ourselves.

Originally posted by Dr. Dr. Doktor

But you must admit that it was president Kenndedy who bedazzled the american populace by claiming the Russians were ahead in their nuclear arsenal. As a matter of fact, my teacher in cold war history told me, the US were at that time way ahead in terms of nuclear arsenal.

I believe that if the west did de-nuclearize then the others would follow. However the perception is that it would leave the west open for destruction in a conventional war since we are so few people consuming so very much.

It sounds nice, but the fact is it will not happen. Even I, a good, solid liberal, don't believe that, just because we got rid of all of our nukes, that China is going to do the same out a sense of fair play. And there is absolutely no way Pakistan and India are going to do the same. Those two will be tough nuts to crack, even if the rest of the world got serious about it.

It would have to be a strong, sincere, world-wide effort to come up with a strong agreement that all parties agree to.....no sweat. ;)

It would take a miracle, like the above mentioned technology to verify this stuff, and liberals coming to power in all of these nations at the same time.

It will either happen, eventually, or at some point we dust ourselves.

Originally posted by Dr. Dr. Doktor

Soviet engineering and the political appointment of generals didn't mix very well, and if push came to shove on the nuclear front, I bet more Russian missiles would land in Russian territory than American ones would've.

Maybe if every country had nukes there would be peace - until the first leader presses the wrong button by accident.

I am of the school that believes that MAD works.

Nuclear weapons did NOT cause the cold war. The Communists were enemies with the capitalists before WW2. From reading about MI6, many MI6 personal viewed the NAZi's as an annoying distraction of dealing with the real enemies, the Soviets.

As far as ending ww2, japan was cut off and severly outgunned. We would have successfully invaded them in a battle to rival the Somme & Verdun in terms of casualties on our side as well as the near extinction of an ethic group (judging by the Japanese suicides on the cliffs of Saipan)

All the evidence we have indicates that MAD works.

That's cuz we're still here to analyze that evidence.

Remember, it only takes one time for it to NOT work, but then there's nobody left around to analyze the data and determine that it didn't.

of course nuclear bombs will be destroyed, any idiot should know that, 1000 years ago we were fighting with swords now we can fight with nukes, in 1000 years nukes will be absolete. once theres better technology nukes will be gone

Well I think its possible that there may be a piece of peace, possibly even pieces of peace. With the exception of the wicked, everyone could have a piece. Not sure how large each piece of peace might be or how long we could keep our peace. If some of the pieces went missing or someone got a bigger piece than someone else then we`d probably all have to hand our pieces back.

I`ve said my piece.

Top Bottom