Will they ever agree to peace treaty

sebanaj

Prince
I'm playing with Greece at the moment, suddenly the dutch asked for an advance, Literature, i refused, and they declared war...!?

Now after like 20 turns they still attack me, even though i have 10 hoplites per city, they won't beat me, and they still don't want to make peace, without wanting ridiculous advances. Like they want me to sign peace treaty and to give them Literature, Philosophy, and Code of Laws!!!

What are they smoking!

Surprisingly the byzantines are fighting them too, but it doesn't appear on the advisor screen.

I have Swordsmen and Hoplites, it's impossible for them to beat me, just because i'm a science centered nation is that i don't attack them massively. When will they understand they're wrong?

Forgot to add that i have only two cities by 100 aD! :D
I didn't lose any, i just didn't build any settlers...

Originally posted by sebanaj

Surprisingly the byzantines are fighting them too, but it doesn't appear on the advisor screen.

Surprise Theodora with an embassy.:)
(that is, if you are not fighting Byzantine as well)

Ok, then you could open an embassy at Theodora's (or she does - but you may not want to wait forever for that step), giving you the ability to watch their relations on F4 (click on her leaderhead, make sure "show war lines"is checked, Alexander's head must be displayed, too).

make sure the leader heads are selected, hold down the shift key, and click on every leader

edit: maybe they signed peace, and you forgot about it?

no, there are still archers and pikemen marching towards Byzancio.
I didn't try to take their cities, as i build one Swordman, tested it against one of their archers and he lost!!!!!? So i stopped building Swordmen.

Your units have not a "guarantee" to win.
A Sword on attack has a better chance than (e.g.) an archer to win against an enemy. You could look into the utilities section and d/l a combat calc to get used to the chances of certain battle scenarios.
It's like this: A (attack) and D (defence) values of the units define the chances, then a RNG (random number generator) draws a number to get the battle round result.

Originally posted by sebanaj
I'm playing with Greece at the moment, suddenly the dutch asked for an advance, Literature, i refused, and they declared war...!?

What are they smoking!

It's good **** we're smoking here;-) Remember we've only been smoking since the 60s, not from 100 AD :lol: :lol: :lol: :crazyeye:

Take a few of their cities, or better yet their capital. After that they will give you peace for almost anything. Not to mention they will prbably be very weak for the rest of the game.

As long as you're not hurting them, they don't really want peace. Bring some units into their territory (hoplites, and swordsmen in a stack), and then take some cities. Then they'll be willing to make peace.

Attack them, capture the capital and they'll be begging for peace. Make sure you get a couple advances as well as some cash.

If they are in Republic, keep trying to ask for peace. That act alone causes war weariness. Next get half a dozen swords and an equal number of hoplites. Go and bonk some heads! Take a city or if you don't mind hurting your rep a bit, raze a city and ask for peace again. I bet you after 2 or 3 razing, that civ will leave you alone... for the rest of the game.

You can also sign some military allinces but this locks you into a 20 turn deal and I would not recommend doing this.

Yes, I am afraid I must go with the consensus, as say ATTACK!!!. I know the feeling, those blody over-agressive Civs just don't stop, and to build a military requires

a) effort,

b) for you to build things other then city improvments.

I'm in a situation similar to that of sebanaj, only "worse"...

... in the sense that I'm Japan (at Regent level) and beat the crap out of Greeks with loads of samurais (I just lost about 1 samurai every 2 or 3 cities taken, due to Oplites). They had only Oplites and a few Archers because they had no iron nor horses.

After taking a dozen of their cities (including the capital), they still refused to give me more than a couple of golds for the peace.

After taking all but one of their cities (about 25/30 of them), Alexander still refused to anything else than equal-terms peace.

I just decided to give it to him because:
1) Greece is no more a factor in the game (they now have only 1 town, out in nowhere, with no resources)
2) Peace will turn all the conquered Greek citizens to happiness
3) I can revert back to Republic (I went to Monarchy just before declaring war) and thus gain more production and less corruption.
4) I want/must concentrate on more dangerous threats (Chinese and Persians)

Anyway, it really puzzles me how he refused to concede anything.
In all my previous games, after conquering 2 or 3 towns, there was some AI's availability to concede something for peace.

Any clues?

I dont know how much u know about this already Startaff, but to get a good deal on peace u have to have a few military units inside his borders. Thats my experience anyway. So just before u ask for peace, move all units available just inside his territory.

Oh, and of course if the civ in question doesnt have anything to offer, he cant give u very much (seems to be the case with your Greek foe)

Originally posted by Salte
I dont know how much u know about this already Startaff, but to get a good deal on peace u have to have a few military units inside his borders. Thats my experience anyway. So just before u ask for peace, move all units available just inside his territory.

Oh, and of course if the civ in question doesnt have anything to offer, he cant give u very much (seems to be the case with your Greek foe)

I WAS into his territory. Actually, I had loads of Samurais just close to their capital (and other towns too).

Yes, they had no cash ready but they:
a) refused to answer to the classic threat "Our troops are approaching your..."
b) refused to give even a small city.

BTW, although often reading about this, I was NEVER able to buy or sell a town. The AIs always refuse to negotiate this item.

If any, the ai likes to give away 'crappy' towns in peace treaties. They will not give you a city that is fully improved. Also, it's harder to squeeze out MA techs than ancient techs, since these are more expensive. However, you could sweeten the peace/tech deal with some gold or gpt on your side. If you're stronger than them, the tech would be more expensive if you first sign peace and then sign a seperate tech deal.

Often, the ai refuses to negotiate on the "our troops are approaching..." basis, but you could actually sign a peace treaty and get some stuff by working out the deatails of the treaty manually.

Top Bottom