1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Will they please introduce new diplo text (and animation) in response to player rejections?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Stringer1313, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Chieftain

This has been a thorn in my side for a long time because I'm OCD and was wondering if it bothered anyone else. For the love of all that is good and holy will they PLEASE add some diplo text to reflect the situation where the player rejects the AI's offer? Every time the AI offers something and I reject it, their text reflects a situation where the AI is rejecting a player's offer (like "Not likely" or "I know a bad deal when I see one" or whatever). YOU'RE the one that offered the deal, AI! (If anything, I would never offer the AI a deal I know they will reject so they clearly picked the wrong text.)

I know from a programming perspective why they did this, because the trade table is something both sides can add and delete stuff too and they couldn't bother with creating two different texts depending on who was doing the offering, but come on. They may also even have to add a new animation to reflect the situation where player rejects AI offer, b/c some of the animations don't make sense/

2. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I've noticed it too--it's really annoying when they offer a deal, you reject it, and the text is something like "I will never accept such terms"--you offered them, lady! It was ME who didn't accept them! XD

The sheer lack of context is just another thing about the Civ VI AI that continues to be disappointing. That, and the fact they joint war against you for next to no reason even if they have huge positive modifiers to like you. Pft. At least Civ IV AI were reasonable.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  3. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

I agree. I think the same things happens too when you accept a deal. You get a message like "I guess I can go along with that". You offered the deal! makes no sense.

4. Pietato

Pietato Chieftain

Completely agree.

5. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

Agreed - while not exactly a pressing issue, it's one of those little mistakes that just speaks to a lack of polish.

TyrannusRex and TahamiTsunami like this.
  6. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Chieftain

Yes, thank you for flagging this too, as I noticed that last night. Both their acceptance and rejection text are as if the player had introduced the deal, not the AI. Given how frequently the AI is offering me terrible deals, and how often I have to reject them, seeing this text is so jarring and immersion-breaking for me. (For that matter can we reduce the number of times the AI offers terrible deals? I'd rather they not offer at all than to have me click through all those terrible deals).

7. Duuk

Duuk Champion of Colorblindness Supporter

Personally, I'm holding out hope for a massive reorganization of diplomacy in general. It's a lot better in R+F than in Vanilla, but it's still not great.

8. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Don't forget about how many leaders say "Oh happy day!" whenever they accept a trade deal.

9. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chieftain

I actually just started noticing this (usually I just press escape to reject and exit that screen as quickly as possible, because OBVIOUSLY I'm not going to give you everything I have for 1 Coffee), and yes it is weird.

10. halfhalfharp

halfhalfharp Chieftain

That is the line which every leaders say when they accept embassies.

Agreeing deals have their respective lines actually, although not all leaders have such treatment and they are arguably fitting and well polished.

E.g. Victoria will answer: You have always been kind and attentive.
    Cleo will answer: How can I thank you?
    Saladin will answer: May Allah bless you.
    Jayavarman will answer: It is good for Khmer.

TahamiTsunami and God of Kings like this.
  11. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

It would be interesting if whenever a leader accepts an embassy, it should be customized rather than the generic "Oh happy day!"

E.g. Victoria will answer: Wonderful! Thank you for setting up a high commission in my capital.

Note that in reality, high commissions are just embassies between Commonwealth countries, but here, it's just for flavour.

TyrannusRex and halfhalfharp like this.
  12. halfhalfharp

halfhalfharp Chieftain

Surely, actually I am still used to the format in Civ V where every leader has a line in accepting/declining deals. It always make me feel there is a bit reduction in complexity and polishment in VI

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  13. Art Morte

Art Morte Chieftain

Everything about the game has felt rushed from the start, proper testing hasn't been done, so I'm not surprised by stupidities like these.