Will This Tactic Work?

GoldenBear

Chieftain
Whenever you capture an enemy city, you gain control of that city's Wonders, but you don't get any cultural benefit from them (no musical notes on the improvement list). However, you DO get the other benefits from them (free granaries from Pyramids, cheap upgrades from Leonardo, etc).

My question is this: Does it hold true with the United Nations?

In my current game, I am playing as the Chinese on Monarch level. My land area is around the domination limit, but the Romans are still ahead of me in population. Rome has a moderate tech lead and just built the UN in Antium while I am still three techs away from reaching the Modern Age. The other countries left in the game at this point are Greece and India, both of which are quite weak but still alive. The year is 1852.

Due to many wars over the last 100 years, everybody is pretty much furious with everybody else, and Rome hasn't called any UN votes. At this point, I have three options:

1) Build peacefully until the end of the game, hopefully boosting my population over the domination limit before Rome builds a spaceship. (This is easiest but may not work.)

2) Try to conquer Rome, driving down their population enough to win by domination. (This is suicide.)

3) Get Miltary Alliances with the Indians and Greeks against Rome. Send a military force to capture Antium and hold it for at least 1 turn. I'm ASSUMING that whoever controls the UN gets to call a vote. Greece and India will vote for me and I'll win Diplomatically.

Option 3 is definitely the best choice IF it works. Can I call a UN vote just by CONTROLLING the wonder? Or do I actually have to be the one that BUILDS it?

Has anybody else been in the same situation?

I am playing on Vanilla Civ 3, unpatched.

IIRC, you get the option to hold a vote every 11 turns.

EDIT: that was the sponsored variant of SGOTM2

Yep it works. I don't remember if you immediately get the option of calling a vote when you capture the UN so be prepared to hold on to Antium for a couple of turns. Is it really necessary to bring the Indians and Greeks into the war though? From what I read they are barely surviving and will be conquered by Rome in no time. You don't want to get your voters killed before the election

It is possible to do option 2. If you have Uranium you could build nukes and use them to kill of roman population therefore reaching the domination limit with out growing or invading rome.

With civ3 vanilla, unpatched, you are given the option for a UN vote every turn, which is most annoying if you do not want a vote, so yes the first turn you own the UN you should get a vote, the odds of an inconclusive result with many abstentions is probably high, this is normal in a game with much warfare

I would just kill/conquer the Romans :cool:
I always have Domination or failure, but I have to admire if you managed the cunning UN-voting victory :king:

Yes, it works, and I imagine it very possible. After all, I did the same thing against the Chinese, twice my size, an entire age in front of me (I was mid-industrial), and I had to hold Beijing defended by 14 Chinese MIs originally, for 9 turns.

EDIT: On Deity

Anyway, if you are so big, you should be able to conquer Rome with no problem, even if their cities are defended with MIs. Arty > all.

EDIT: Where have my asthetically pleasing posting skills gone? :crazyeye:

Top Bottom