Will you buy Vista ?

Will you buy Vista ?

• Total voters
no. on the off chance that I buy a new computer I'll likely be forced into vista, but given the option I'd like to avoid $300 worth of insane digital rights management practices.

why have vista when u can have ubuntu?
Because I don't want to go into an OS that I am not used to nor run an OS that does not play any of the major title games without an emulator or major tweaking. Plus installing a new OS (as I have heard) is more of a headache.

I'm sticking with the XP-twins (Homeko (Home ed. XP) and XP-tan (Prof ed. XP).

Is it true that the new DirectX for Vista doesn't include the previous ones? I read that somewhere. If it's true, then definitely not. Me want play old games.

I bought a laptop a few months ago that's Vista capable. I intend to forego its use. Great words of an Italian there.

Is it true that the new DirectX for Vista doesn't include the previous ones? I read that somewhere. If it's true, then definitely not. Me want play old games.
I heard that DirectX is going to be just an upgrade of the previous one and still play older games on it. Though one may or may not have to use compatibility mode.

Though for me, since I use a Wide screen Laptop, I want to have all my games that are not wide screen compatible to run in windowed mode.

CG, there's a way to force the game to work in windowed mode. At least it worked on Football Manager 07, which CtDs if "windowed" from the menu. I can tell if yerr interested.

Bundled OS is a small part of the total cost of a PC.
It still comes with a cost. The basic Vista OEM version is listed for 95 € !! Buying a PC without Vista will therefore cost you 95 € less for the Home Basic version, 215 € less for the Ultimate version. Prices found on the Internet for France.

But how long is it going to take me to install and configure the free OS so that I can play all my games? If it takes me one entire week-end, I'd rather pay $100 for Windows. Fixing computers is not something I enjoy.
I don't enjoy that too. If you're playing various games, you can just forget Linux ; Microsoft has made sure Linux wasn't for you.

It will not cost zero dollars, unless you do not value your time. Fixing computers and setting them up is at the bottom of my favorite things to do when I have free time.
I totally disagree. Linux costs you zero dollar. Period. If you're saying your free time is worth some money, we'll just have to disagree anyway. But yes, it will cost you some time. The good side is that, once you're done with it, it never bothers you again. I'm not an expert in computers, and I recently installed Linux without significant problem. Once I understood how to set up my partitions, the installation ran properly, and then nothing to set up (Internet, etc...).

Great, since games are the #1 reason I have a PC, and that I need the Wifi for our Wii and our work PCs...
Yeah, you can forget it... until Linux is ready for games. ;)

Mind you, I'm not saying that Windows is better. I'm saying that Linux is certainly not absolutely better, and that it actually makes sense to have Windows for the vast majority of consumers who have little to no computer knowledge, who want something that works out of the box, who want something that's compatible with everything, and who'd rather use their free time using their computer than setting it up :)
Children have no problem using Linux. A valid reason is that you are addicted to Microsoft products (we're all). It's difficult to learn again. I decided I was smart enough to do it in the end. I would recommend Linux to anyone not into games and not in need of this very rare professional app or that recent driver. And GNU/Linux (the programs, not the system into its (usually hostile) environment) is technically light-years ahead of Windows.

And people being obnoxious about Linux Rulez should remember that... Windows is not the crappy software it used to be.
It's less crappy than it used to be. Which doesn't say much. :p I'm sorry because you're using a crappy software and have no power on that.

CG, there's a way to force the game to work in windowed mode. At least it worked on Football Manager 07, which CtDs if "windowed" from the menu. I can tell if yerr interested.
Some games I can, and some that are hard coded to be forced to run in full screen mode like Star Wars Empire at War and Empire Earth I and II.

Attachments

• cypher.jpg
    cypher.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 44
Please put me back into the Matrix (but wake me up if everybody logs out someday).

That really is crazy. I was watching the Sopranos a little earlier, and Joe Pantoliano was in it. I decided to try and find out what else he has been in, because he seemed familiar to me. So, I go to Wikipedia, find out he was in Matrix, so I go to google and search for Cypher, which was Pantoliano's character in the film. Guess what picture comes up!

No basically as long as XP works, why bother? I can get better security from doing my own leg work and have and it's all free. Why pay for pretty graphics and nothing that you can't get for free?

my XP is very good and stable and i had no problem with it at all. so it all depends on when i'll buy a new computer. maybe 2008... so i vote no.

I've grown a bit prejudiced against Microsoft over the years and my first thought was Heck No! But then I watched a netcast of an episode of DL.TV dedicated to the Vista operating system. And now my second thought is one of reserved interest. Now I need to sit back and let the geeks play with it awhile and wait for them test and tweak it out.

Here is a link to DL.TVs Episode #135: "Vista is here! Should you? Will you have any choice? We go off." This isn't your average brief teaser review. They go deep into the Vista, demonstrating its features and discussing its merits, to explaining how to make your system Vista ready. Good stuff :goodjob:

Hosts Robert Heron and Patrick Norton

Urederra: Ubuntu Linux, and I have a partition with a stripped version of Windows somenumber. ("stripped" meaning no apps from MS Office, etc.)

No. My computer is rarely connected to the net, so the authentication checks will be a problem.

Mepis Linux for everything except civ (xp). Vista would require a new computer (unnecessary) and a leap of faith in microsloth (impossible)

Top Bottom