Will you buy Vista ?

Will you buy Vista ?

• Total voters
I tried FreeBSD years ago and got it running fine, configured dial-up and so forth okay, but it was just such a PITA. Having to mount and unmount a disc every time I wanted to switch discs in the drive?! Ridiculous. Even DOS never required that.

I tried FreeBSD years ago and got it running fine, configured dial-up and so forth okay, but it was just such a PITA. Having to mount and unmount a disc every time I wanted to switch discs in the drive?! Ridiculous. Even DOS never required that.

Linux seems geared more toward people who are technically inclined.

DOS is crap.

Windows was supposedly designed for the average non-technical user.

VRWCA, can you expand on that? Where I am (Ubuntu), "unmount" is the equivalent of "savely remove external hardware" from Windows. Before I plug my USB stick out, I'm supposed to unmount it.

It sounds as though you were replacing disks in an odd way.

Well, first I was using BSD, not Linux. They really are different (BSD being superior ;) ). That said, after physically inserting a disc in the CD drive, one had to "mount" the drive before it was readable. If I wanted to change discs, I would have to "unmount" the disc in there and "mount" the next disc.

I'm sure they have auto-mounting by now, but it was a PITA and what turned me away from BSD back in 2000/2001.

I've grown a bit prejudiced against Microsoft over the years and my first thought was Heck No! But then I watched a netcast of an episode of DL.TV dedicated to the Vista operating system. And now my second thought is one of reserved interest. Now I need to sit back and let the geeks play with it awhile and wait for them test and tweak it out.

Here is a link to DL.TVs Episode #135: "Vista is here! Should you? Will you have any choice? We go off." This isn't your average brief teaser review. They go deep into the Vista, demonstrating its features and discussing its merits, to explaining how to make your system Vista ready. Good stuff :goodjob:

Hosts Robert Heron and Patrick Norton

This looks like they are whoring themselves out to Microsoft to me.

That really is crazy. I was watching the Sopranos a little earlier, and Joe Pantoliano was in it. I decided to try and find out what else he has been in, because he seemed familiar to me. So, I go to Wikipedia, find out he was in Matrix, so I go to google and search for Cypher, which was Pantoliano's character in the film. Guess what picture comes up!
The picture I posted !!! :eek: :goodjob:

I watched something once called "Matrix for Windows".
Hello. :) I'll try to search for it, but I won't tell you how, or it'll cost me another 3 points here. :lol:

Well, first I was using BSD, not Linux. They really are different (BSD being superior ;) ). That said, after physically inserting a disc in the CD drive, one had to "mount" the drive before it was readable. If I wanted to change discs, I would have to "unmount" the disc in there and "mount" the next disc.

I'm sure they have auto-mounting by now, but it was a PITA and what turned me away from BSD back in 2000/2001.
Ubuntu 6.06 and 6.10 have auto-detection for both mounting and unmounting discs.

The system I have now is probably not up to Vista requirements, and I am not going to replace it any time soon, so no. My current system meets all my needs, and plays all the games I have just fine (except Dungeon Keeper 2, but that's a hardware issue). I haven't seen any new PC games catch my interest in quite some time, and as that is what mainly drives computer upgrades (that and programming, which I don't do), I simply have no need to upgrade either my hardware or my operating system.

Okay I finally found what annoyed me the most about the comments on "how Linux is so much better" blah blah blah.

They automatically assume that Windows users are mindless morons who did not even consider the other options available.

Well that's not true. I made a conscious decision not to use Linux because to me it's more important to be able to enjoy my games without hassles, than having an OS that is slightly more stable than Windows XP (which so far has worked great for me).

I've grown a bit prejudiced against Microsoft over the years and my first thought was Heck No! But then I watched a netcast of an episode of DL.TV dedicated to the Vista operating system. And now my second thought is one of reserved interest. Now I need to sit back and let the geeks play with it awhile and wait for them test and tweak it out.

Here is a link to DL.TVs Episode #135: "Vista is here! Should you? Will you have any choice? We go off." This isn't your average brief teaser review. They go deep into the Vista, demonstrating its features and discussing its merits, to explaining how to make your system Vista ready. Good stuff :goodjob:

Hosts Robert Heron and Patrick Norton
This looks like they are whoring themselves out to Microsoft to me.
Did you watch much of it (it's nearly 40 minutes long)? Patrick shared some reservations about Vista, along with some excitment over some new features. Robert was clearly excited about Vista, but then he has an exuberant personality by nature. He's also a fan of Windows by default. I do agree that they didn't discuss much about the negative aspects of Vista that have been rumored across the net. But then I've seen these two guys talk tech for many years (TechTV); so I know that they, particularly Patrick, are skeptical of tech hype. And their reviews are based on their own personal experiances with the products they talk about. Which is exactly what they did. They shared the good, the bad and the ugly as relates to their experiance with Vista. They both talked of reasons why some people may want to delay, or even totally forgo upgrading to Vista. They also spoke of reasons to make the upgrade. I thought it was a good honest review, rather than a glorified paid advert. I found no Vista advertising on their website, nor did I find any on any of their parent companies sites, Ziff Davis Media. Including PCMagazine who ranked Vista a 3.5 out of 5. I not only enjoyed the show, but I also walked away with some good information concerning Vista. The show airs a couple times a week, and they will talk more of Vista as more becomes known. I humbly recommend this Vista episode, and their show... DL.TV

Okay I finally found what annoyed me the most about the comments on "how Linux is so much better" blah blah blah.

They automatically assume that Windows users are mindless morons who did not even consider the other options available.

Well that's not true. I made a conscious decision not to use Linux because to me it's more important to be able to enjoy my games without hassles, than having an OS that is slightly more stable than Windows XP (which so far has worked great for me).
Haha, you're annoyed by the truth. We're saying Linux as a system is better, and that should be scientific fact, not the Linux experience. The Linux experience is ruined by the hardware and games industries.

I'm glad you don't have problems with money or with control on your data. I'm just slightly annoyed that every Vista box bought means more expensive hardware in the future, but that's not your fault in the end.

Windows XP has worked OK for me so far as well. But I have principles, and today I decided to apply them to computers. I decided to have a better PC. And I accept the temporary problems that come with it, hoping that Linux will be widely used in the future (enough so that all major games get ported and drivers too).

I agree, also I get annoyed when Linux Fanbois tend to harass us Windows Fanbois that we are mindless morons.

I don't like to use nor switch to Linux because of the following:
1. Unfamiliar GUI interface
2. No Games nor Hardware are Linux compatible

For me, I have not experienced any problems with XP.

Is it true that the new DirectX for Vista doesn't include the previous ones? I read that somewhere. If it's true, then definitely not. Me want play old games.
It's that DirectX 10 will only be available on Vista. As far as I know there is no reason why it shouldn't play old games - but if you want new games on the other hand, you'll be forced to upgrade (unless they use OpenGL, which is sadly rare these days).

As a programmer, I'm now glad I chose OpenGL to learn...

It's that DirectX 10 will only be available on Vista. As far as I know there is no reason why it shouldn't play old games - but if you want new games on the other hand, you'll be forced to upgrade (unless they use OpenGL, which is sadly rare these days).

As a programmer, I'm now glad I chose OpenGL to learn...

NOOOOOOOOOOO! Damn you microsoft!! I dont want to be forced to use vista. :cry:

I agree, also I get annoyed when Linux Fanbois tend to harass us Windows Fanbois that we are mindless morons.
Nobody said you were a mindless moron.

I don't like to use nor switch to Linux because of the following:
1. Unfamiliar GUI interface
Took me almost zero effort. You're not very adventurous, if we can even talk of an "adventure". The KDE interface is said to be very close to Windows. It takes about 5 minutes to get accustomed to KDE or GNOME, you only have to understand English and how to use a mouse. Pfff...

2. No Games nor Hardware are Linux compatible
Wrong. There is much hardware and there are some games Linux compatible.

I am Pirate, therefore no.

This also doesnt mean that Linux or Mac are okay. They still suck. And blow.

Took me almost zero effort. You're not very adventurous, if we can even talk of an "adventure".
Ok, then explain to me why its so hard to install, let alone set up a dual boot istallation a new OS on a computer?

I dont for see myself "converting" to the Linux OS. Unless I am forced to if XP ever becomes irrecoverable.

Wrong. There is much hardware and there are some games Linux compatible.
Wrong?! Hah, Only in regards to Games that have ALREADY been ported to Linux. The latest games out there only comes out in Windows platform first and then MacOSX. Very rare are there ported games for Linux, if there are none you're forced to rely on an emulator.

Casual computer users won't see the need to upgrade what is an already perfectly fine copy of Windows XP. Many are getting macs anyway, because they are a lot more clean and easy to use.

Advanced users are already toying around with linux, and see little need to pay for features they can already get for nothing.

Power users might be early adopters, but may also have issues with driver support and compatibility problems.

Its going to be a while before Vista is the dominant Windows OS.

Me? I've been using Ubuntu full time for years now, and my next computer is going to be a macbook. So I don't see myself using Vista on my own computers, unless it is given to me. Even then, it wouldn't be often.

Top Bottom