1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Will you settle with low production or no water?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Sherlock, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

I never settle a city not on a green tile. Are there cases where settle on a non-water tile?

Also, If I can't get three gears (production) in a location as soon as I settle I just don't anymore. Considering the small amount of production on most maps this is pretty limiting. What are your minimum standards for production in a new city?

2. Vargas1

Vargas1 Prince

I'll pretty regularly settle a coastal city without access to fresh water - the 1 extra housing off the bat helps a bit, and then the bonus housing from a lighthouse allows it to get up to a decent size. Otherwise I tend to settle by water until it gets later in the game, at which point I might look at places that would require an aqueduct. I rarely will settle entirely non-water cities unless there's a special reason (maybe place a random city in the middle of other cities to chop in Colosseum and nothing else).

Production I don't really have requirements on - it all depends what the purpose of the city is. Some I'll place just to block off other civs, some I'll place to get access to strategics/luxuries, some I'll place to chop in a certain district or wonder. I'll usually end up with 5-9 'core' cities that grow to at least a moderate size and have good production, and then the rest may or may not end up being very productive.

3. Buktu

Buktu Prince

Thats pretty much it for me.

For starting tiles for a city I prefer a little more food than production so a 2f+/2p tile is my favourite. Otherwise I just go with 3/1 or even 4/0 first. Sure production is great but you need the pops to work the great production tiles anyway. Also you need more pops for districts (at least a few). Most of the time you can chop out one to three districts and then just buy the buildings anyway.

4. Bostock

Bostock King

Although I prioritize more water over less, it all gets settled sooner or later (until I get sick of running Colonization), short of some terrible un-aqueduct-able spot, which I know my neighbor will be more than happy to eventually settle for me anyway.

I prioritize better first rings over worse ones, but it all gets settled unless it's all pure foodless desert or tundra, which... see above.

5. pkaem

pkaem Warlord

But there are so many times that a city is just worth it's campus! No matter what I do, mostly science or domination, a city ist almost always better than not a city - unless you have so much space, that I can't imagine how this will be the case on fairly standard settings. I recently even stopped to build granarys. Those desert holes just get a food tile and a mine to build a monument and getting a university chopped.

6. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

If you want really fast science victories, trash cities with a campus are a waste of turns and worker cost scaling. As soon as Industrial age hits, great scientists become obsolete. 25% of your science will come from your top 2 cities, other 30% from 3-4 other powerhouses and around 45% from International Space Agency policy card. If you go low culture and no space agency (which you can, with a godlike capital: Pingala + tea corporation with 3 tea products in capital + Kilwa), 40% of your science will come from your capital and the rest from core 7-9 cities.

If you are placing filler cities, you gain more from a market or lighthouse (1 trade route) than from a new campus, basically converting settler production hammers into space project hammers in your Ruhr city.

SaboteurINT likes this.
  7. Chekko

Chekko Warlord

Unless I see a nice bunch of coast/ocean resources I don't pay much attention to the water. I prefer to get most of my cities high on production and resources as soon as possible, then have a city that prioritizes on the coast or having a Harbor early for scouting/trading purposes.

8. PenngwynXVII

PenngwynXVII Chieftain

Production > water bonus, every time.

Especially on the first city. By the time the housing bonus means anything, you're already way behind if you don't have decent production.

9. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

I see these youtube video's about 'where to found your city' and I see city sites better than anything I have ever seen in five years.

I've gone back to CiV.

10. PiR

PiR Emperor Supporter

You can setup the map a bit like if you want more hills, resources abundant, etc. That might explain the videos. That and a lot of restart.

11. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I only really care in the very early game. Maybe just the first 4-6 cities. I like to have water in those so I won't have to worry about growth being stunted. Later satellites only need a couple districts to be worthwhile. You can use internal trade routes to build them or just buy those districts with governors.

Just setting the map to "wet" improves starts a lot. More trees and marshes means more production and food in the early game.

12. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite Emperor

One thing I don't really like about Civ6 when compared to HK. particularly if core question comes to mind whether should a city growth maxed out with 3-hex radious or having a good access to freshwater or eligible to build an Aqueduct.

13. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Give me anything and I’ll give it a go. I just roleplay it if it’s bad so it feels good. Variety is the spice of life. You do not need 3 cog starts, your brain should have enough cogs to compensate.
    To answer the OP, I would take lack of water

Saxo Grammaticus and uhu like this.