Will you still slash and burn rainforests after the June patch?

darkace77450

Emperor
Or is the production from lumber mills enough for you to eschew the immediate food and production boost from chopping?

If I need the pop and production *now*, chop. If I'll need it later, chop later, replace with planted forests.
So basically, almost always chop :)

I'll probably play the same way I have in the past, which is "95% of the time, I only chop/harvest if I was going to put a distict/wonder there or am trying to set up a national park by removing things to plant woods"

Chop rainforests. Plant forests once you hit conservation and build lumbermills.

Unless if I'm Brazil. Or have Chichen Itza

Not sure how much this will change how i play, certainly seems like it will add more Pro/Con as far as chops go.

probably chop less than before. generally i like keeping trees if on the city is starving for production.(aka lack of hills)

I have always been very conservative about chopping. It has always felt a little exploitative, especially with Magnus. So I have tended to restrict chopping to tiles that I intended to build districts or improvements that are not compatible with woods/rainforest/marsh. I very rarely chopped to complete a wonder or whatever. I will probably continue to operate that way.

Well, rainforest chops aren't as good as forest chops, as well as having Chichen Itza wonder.

Farms get an adjacency bonus for other farms after discovering feudalism in the medieval era. This bonus increases with the discovery of replaceable parts in the atomic era.

Because of this bonus, if you have a large swath of uninterrupted rainforest, it will probably still be preferable to chop it in most situations, because a patch of adjacent farms will be more valuable than a patch of adjacent lumber mills.

However, in situations where you have a scattering of rainforest tiles mixed in with terrain types on which you cannot build farms, such as mountains or desserts, it may now be preferable to put lumber mills on those rainforests instead of replacing them with farms or mines, whereas before the patch this was not the case.

If anything, the biggest consequence to the lumbermill changes is that I will probably build many fewer mines. I'll still put mines on resources and dessert hills, but when it comes to grassland, plains, and tundra hills without resources, it makes more sense to either wait until civil engineering so I can build farms, or wait until conservation so I can plant woods and then build either a lumber mill or a national park.

Personnally I'm very happy about the rainforest mill... always bugged me that you couldn't improve rainforest in any ways except bananas...

I'm not a chopper so I'm glad rainforest will not be a good early tile and a bad mid-late tile anymore

Personnally I'm very happy about the rainforest mill... always bugged me that you couldn't improve rainforest in any ways except bananas...

I'm not a chopper so I'm glad rainforest will not be a good early tile and a bad mid-late tile anymore

Indeed. An improvement or a civ with a unique improvement for jungles has been on my wishlist for a while.

I know I’ve said this a few times now, but the fact Lumbermill production doesn’t vary anymore, eg by being on a river, will make these decisions pretty trivial.

Basically, you’ll want to chop all of it because farms and hill mines will still be better returns almost every time. You might keep one or two for mills in a very low production city if the city did need some production for some reason.

I was already using a mod that allowed me to put mills on jungles. :p

Well, besides the option to put a lumbermill on rainforest, one should also mention that goddess of the harvest will be gone as well. In my recent games, I chopped like a maniac in order to gain faith, so I could pump out settlers and builders with monumentality equipped. Since this strategy will be impossible in the future, I see myself chopping to a lesser extent.

I use to keep two rainforest whew they give a bonus adjency to Campus. Or two science /turn all game long is better than chopping, at least on Epic speed and 8aop mod (more expensive techs and civics)

I also often have a city with lot of rainforest in which I place a zoo (1 science/rf) and Reyna for 2 golds / unimproved features.
Obviously keep them when I can build Chichen Itza.

Don't forget the deforestation factor as well;although I didn't find the numbers about it yet. The price for builder charges has to be taken in account as well. A 5 charges builder isn't reimbursed by 5 chopped rainforests, so basically you chop them just for the food in some situations.

So yes, since I already don't chop much, I'll chop even less now.

Top Bottom