Willem V Oranje (EC) - A domination / conquest goal!!!

Really busy in these days in RL.
I don't think I'll be able to properly take a look at the saves to do a reasonable vote ....

Overall, I think the GLH from the looks of it will be huge.

1st place - Gumbolt - shot at the GLH plus silver in capital and I like other city placement

2nd place - pnp_dredd - see above except for city placement

3rd - Jaybone - GLH in already (so you would think it would be #1 :crazyeye:) but overall I think the other saves are stronger

My favorite save is actually CBPE's for city placement and overall tech rate but the GLH is too strong here

1. Norvin van green: will get Oracle for MC. No chance for GLH. Barracks in Utrecht will help for early war only if the Egyptian doesn't have horsies.

Thanks for the vote but I have to admit that both the Oracle and barracks were oops on my part. I decided to go for the Oracle only after committing toward the ToA and losing it before I even started. Also, in a really dumb thought on my part I was going to axe rush Egypt after seeing the copper. Of course it would help if there was a way to get the axes over there. DOH!! My only excuse is that for whatever reason I thought that Egypt's fish tiles were coastal. Just dumb.

Overall, I think the GLH from the looks of it will be huge.

1st place - Gumbolt - shot at the GLH plus silver in capital and I like other city placement

2nd place - pnp_dredd - see above except for city placement

3rd - Jaybone - GLH in already (so you would think it would be #1 :crazyeye:) but overall I think the other saves are stronger

My favorite save is actually CBPE's for city placement and overall tech rate but the GLH is too strong here

I would of liked to see a axe rush on Egytians really. Theres no guarantee i will get the GLH so dont rely on this!

My votes:

1st - pnp_dredd - strong save overall, popped copper is nice, would probably use the chops for something other that GLH though
2nd - Le Singe - Decent development, switching from MC may be better
3rd - CBPE - maybe somewhat generic, but good nonetheless, strong tech

Overall went for saves that settled 1S, have at least three cities and some other development. Still hard to compare though, especially with some saves having the GLH in progress. Also the wonder build dates in my game have me wary of voting for saves still pursuing early wonders.

A few other thoughts:

I don't see a problem putting up some farms early, e.g. in my game Utrecht is already at size 4 and with fish+2farms+copper is set to take over settler/worker building from Amsterdam (the farms are a big help in whipping those out in a timely manner). This is good because Amsterdam can whip in a library soon to get started on scientists, and then after getting Aest-Lit, build the GLib. A strong second city can go a long way in taking some of the early build priorities from the capitol. Had there been another food source for Utrecht I would have skipped the farms.
Another option is to whip a library in Utrecht to run scientists there first, but again this is still for the purpose of lessening the load on the capitol. Just felt I didn't make this city's purpose clear in the report. Cottages in the not too distant future though...
(after thinking on this a little more, I'd probably try and make sure to get a GS from Utrecht first since Amsterdam will get the lion share of them after GLib)

Also, having a creative/financial leader+coastal sites w/seafood+easily available over-seas trade routes means that new cities quickly become worthwhile. These may be moot points as we probably won't be playing from my save, but I wanted to put it out there for clarification/criticism.

Hopefully the voting gets finished soon so we can get moving with the next round.

I'm going to post my votes from work w/o my reasons. Left my notes at home, but I'll go back and edit in the reasons later but wanted the votes up before monday evening.

1. pnp_dredd
2. jaybone
3. cbpe

Do we close voting now or wait for some final votes. 6 votes in excluding mine. Will take a look in a couple of hours and maybe close up voting. We can't spend too long on this process.

The result so far:

PNP Dredd 8
Norvin Green 6
Gumbolt 6
CBPE 6
Jaybone 4
Lesinge 4
Thwump 2

I will pass up my vote and we can declare PNP Dredd the winner of this round. Sorry for the delay in writing this up. (I fell asleep oops lol)

The next round will be played over the next 4-5 days with voting over Saturday-Monday. (This may change on time needs)

The round will finish Saturday 1800hr GMT.

The next round will be played from 1500bc-400ad. Lets get playing people.

Congratulations to PNP Dredd who has won this round.

Here is the winning save to be used for the next round:
PNP Dredd save

Please ensure when you post save you rename save with your name.

Round 0: The starting save -
Round 1: 4000 BC - 1500 BC- Completed
Round 2: 1500 BC - 400 AD- Playing
Round 3: 400 AD - 1100 AD- upcoming
Round 4: 1100 AD - 1500 AD - upcoming
Round 5: 1500 AD - 1700 AD - upcoming
Round 6: 1700 AD - 1820 AD - upcoming
Round 7: 1820 AD - 2050 AD - upcoming

Just had a quick look at Norvins chart and that is quite conclusive really! Very impressive for stats!

Few things you might want to note going forward. Firstly the Egptians have met at least a second Ai as they have not got the holy shrine. The next dilema is do we risk the GLH. Need a touch of luck I guess. It's interesting on some saves this went before 1500bc. It will be interesting to see how people play this.

Sorry vanatteveldt your save slipped through the net. I would of added it to the voting if I had seen it in time. No offence meant by ignoring it. You are very much welcome in the next round. You did have TGL before 2000bc!! very nice. Although your dedication to this has left science and number of cities behind. The capital is strong though.

Good luck on the next round all.

@gumbolt
np, my save was too late anyway. TGL so early is really a gambit, if the land is really archipelago-like it will pay off, but if egypt builds it and we can simply conquer it even better. I do think that in times of isolation it pays off to concentrate on building capital and one (or two) good cities first, and then a massive REX to fill everything up after the economic techs are researched. The early rex / economic crash strategy is mainly good on crowded continents, it seems.

@gumbolt
np, my save was too late anyway. TGL so early is really a gambit, if the land is really archipelago-like it will pay off, but if egypt builds it and we can simply conquer it even better. I do think that in times of isolation it pays off to concentrate on building capital and one (or two) good cities first, and then a massive REX to fill everything up after the economic techs are researched. The early rex / economic crash strategy is mainly good on crowded continents, it seems.

It would of been an interesting save to play from for sure. Question is who else are the Egptians sharing their land with or coast with. You are more than welcome to play the next round or shadow with your own save. It would be good to see how your early GLH gambit pays off. Either way you have a nice lil challenge to compete with the main game. ;)

Unfortunately I am travelling for work until Saturday, and my laptop won't run CIV, so I don't think I can compete properly. Will either shadow or play along with the main thread if I can find the time the coming weeks...

Hey, first one to finish round 2!

Spoiler :
My goal was to try to get to astronomy before the round ended. I think I'm 3 turns shy of bulbing astro. Interesting characters in the game. Chopped to get the GLH then went after MC for the Colossus and triremes to protect nets (which being non-coastal was unnecessary) Traded around for Math, IW, Calendar while teching to Machinery>Optics>Compass. After this went Myst>Poly>Priest and traded for Monarchy before heading to CoL and CS (just completed) Nappy has been WHEOOHRN since I met him.

omg I remembered to attach the save!

Spoiler :

There's always so many options at this stage, and it's hard to know which is best. I didn't expand much, but worked on cottages, and teched to maces.

Alpha-Maths-Calendar(455bc)-Monarchy(trade)-MC(260bc)-currency(110bc)-const(traded)-COL/CS(160ad)-Machinery-Feudalism (in 2 turns)
Built some axes.
Lost GLH in 1175.
875 switched to Judaism for the happiness, as every city had it.
625 met Nappy, who's Jewish too! (became Hindu somewhere along the way)
500 Horses/Fish city overrun by 2xarchers, 1xspear :(
95bc lost Colossus to Ramses :(
115ad Ramses complete TGLib in Thebes. Right. He's going down. :mad:
160ad completed CS, switched to Bureaucracy and started building an army (cats and maces).
235ad completed Academy in Amsterdam
400ad completed Maoi in The Hague.

400ad
2 maces, 2 cats, stack-o-galleys, 3 triremes. Just waiting on some more maces before attacking.
Thebes has: Stonehenge, GLib, GLightHouse, Colossus, Parthenon, Hagio Sofia and the AP. Selecting the first city to target isn't hard.
193:science:/turn at 100%; 70-80% is sustainable.
Only 5 cities.
Nappy pleased, Ramsey friendly, Charly cautious. Don't think anyone will mind too much if I smack Ramsey around a bit.
I haven't circumnavigated - galleys kept getting eaten by barbs.

my round...(note: sorry for not being able to vote the last round. I would have voted my save the worst in the history of EC. Just totally over-thought that one...yeeks)

Spoiler :

The highlights followed by pics:

-First goal was to, of course, get the GLH finished, do some expanding on our luscious verdant land, send the galley exploring so the GLH can be effective, then shoot for MC and the Colossus. Ultimate goal - get to Astro so that next round we can make use of the UU and possibly send mace/muskets/trebs across the sea for some stealth attacks
-What I quickly knew I was not going to do this round was go for the Aesth/Lit line as Persia was already heavy on that path. Also, I did not expect to break open the can of whup-azz on anyone as I felt the prereqs were not place.

-I was able to get GLH in probably due to some intermediate infra/worker whips in the Dam. Once I expanded and explored a bit this really started to kick in

-Torn between the whale/fur city or the horse/fish city for Maoi. I really like cities that have inland lakes with the lighthouse boost. However, I messed up on not settling the whale fish city adjacent to BOTH lakes, so only one gets the extra food - bummer. Whale is always nice in a Maoi city. Still torn on that one. (Actuall, on further review I just realized that there was no way to get both lakes and the blubber. Maastricht to the east might be a better option.

- Actually ran scientists in Utrecht so that Amsterdam could stay productive for GLH and Colossus - GPs were sloooow. Unfortunately, someone I did not meet built the Colossus. This turned out, surprisingly, to be my number 1 foe in CIV - Nappy. I was fairly close but it least it wasn't the last turn out. I thought I had it in the bag since Ram,BK, Darius did not have MC at that point.

-After MC, the focus was Optics and more exploring. Backing up a bit, I got a galley around Egypt and HRE from a East to West Direction before my galley was mugged by a barb. I met Ram,BK and Darius at that point. Although my caravels haven't revealed all view in that area, I get the impression that I could have met all AIs with a galley. Also, my untimely galley sinkage did not allow me to reveal that peninsula to the east that Rams was able to settle by culture bridge, I think.

- Between focus on the target techs, I did a turn here or there of other techs like Currency to back-fill older techs, i.e., get a better deal to trade for more techs. I'm starting to do this more now and seem to get better deals. Of course, once Currency is in it's usually not a problem.

- After settling Njimegen to the west to grab whales/fur (for happies), I settled 3 cites to the east - all coastal. I'd like to settle that far east peninsula and then take that barb city with a few HAs. I don' think there's a rush but eventually we need to block of all the coast. A city could go between Rotterdam and Maastricht, but that land should be culture blocked by The Hague and Maastricht before anyone thinks of settling there. The reason I mention that is that there is still a blue circle there and I've seen AI sneak in spots like that.

- So I guess the question begs whether Astro is the right approach. For me, I'd kinda like to cozy up to Shaka and joint attack Nappy from the sea. Honestly, Nappy bothers me much more than Shaka from experience. With Astro we get our UU plus what should be a boost to research to get a strategic tech. Conversely, maybe CS was a better approach for a simple mace/cat war to take out wonder-slut Ramses.

- Techs not too bad. Traded for Feud too. Darius is a bit strong here. I wonder if we should even bother with the Lib path in this case and just focus on military techs.

Attachments

• Lymond - WvO Cookbook AD-0400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    236.8 KB · Views: 96
Only Monarch player, so I didn't pick the challenge ;-)

I wonder if it is worthwhile to place another city in the southeast to work both inland lakes and occupy a plain rather than the little green. The fish would be left for a offshore island instead. Or this trade off is not worthwhile?

Only Monarch player, so I didn't pick the challenge ;-)

I wonder if it is worthwhile to place another city in the southeast to work both inland lakes and occupy a plain rather than the little green. The fish would be left for a offshore island instead. Or this trade off is not worthwhile?

This is Monarch/ Emperor level really as we play from the best save. Give it a shot. You will never move up if you don't try it. ;)

@everyone

sorry i did not vote in the first round I was out of pocket for a few days with work stuff. Will play next round soon.

Top Bottom