1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Willie Escobar - the Drug Lord of Amsterdam! Deity OCC Photojournal!

Discussion in 'Playthroughs and Photojournals' started by Owlbebach, Aug 12, 2018.

?

What Venice game is more interesting?

1. Tradition>>Tourism

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Authority>>Diplo/Science

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

Hey folks!

I wanted to do a Venice Photojournal. But apparently Imperialism is too strong and for Venice it will be even stronger. Also as far as i understood there are some other bugs with and other stuff. I would like to wait for the next patch and do Venice write up after. (btw @Gazebo stable version with balancefixes/bugfixes coming anytime soon?)

Also i have two ideas for Venice: Tradition>>Tourism and Authority>>Diplo/Science depending on situation. Those are to very different approaches. Which one whould you like to see more?

In the meantime i decided to show you all some funny stuff! I called it Willie on Drugs cause this really feels like i'm buying and selling drug doses and getting higher and higher aftrer each dose. By the way @CrazyG i think this one does also work pretty damn well with Portugal.

At the same time i wanted to test my own idea of removing AI Growth Handicap. It is too early to judge for now but i really like it so far. Doesn't seem easier and feels more balanced. I no longer see those crazy 10-pop cities pumping out of nowhere.

We need more games, i would appreciate if someone will play with similar settings.

For those who didn't see >> full info on the idea is here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/removing-growth-from-ai-handicap-list.635134/

Part 1 is here! https://imgur.com/a/ErXWuyp
    Part 2 added: https://imgur.com/a/l8gcnFz
    Part 3 added: https://imgur.com/a/C8kMDtt
    Part 4 added: https://imgur.com/a/JZSyR1G
    Part 5 added: https://imgur.com/gallery/S0QJ4bI
    Part 6 added: https://imgur.com/a/7lIlMdT

Question to the Audience:
    1) What policy tree to take next?
    2) What religion to make?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Paramecium, vyyt and Viralvoid like this.
  2. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

By the way, soes anyone remember which wonder gives free Synagogue?

3. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

Solomon's Temple with Vox Populi Wonders Expanded

4. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

For some reason i thought that there is a synagogue-wonder in usual VP

5. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Faith ruins are supposed to provide enough for a pantheon (50) but you get an extra 25% because pathfinders have that promotion.

This strategy is a lot of fun, I used to love playing OCC. I think Divine Inheritance will probably be the best founder, but the follower belief is flexible.

6. theMisterRud

theMisterRud Chieftain

As far as Religion and Policy, I would try a Statecraft / Theocratic Rule strategy in order to secure luxuries from city states and continue on the culture/gold min-maxing.

Might be an idea

Bromar1 likes this.
  7. pza

pza Prince

extra trade routes will be quite bad in an occ once everyone starts declaring wars on you, because you cannot make internal traderoutes. so i'd rather go for artistry. also has some synergy with tradition. Oh are you planning on allowing yourself to have puppets or at least foreign capitals? what's your planned win condition?

8. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

Don't you think that this is too much? Even 20-25 faith will be very nice cause it will allow you to take any Pantheon you want. This is its main power. By the way i remember that in April i got a Ruin with 237:c5faith:
    Divine is ibviously the best choice here. I have only 1 city and 20% yields is pretty damn good. Especially considering that i have 4 Jades - i already have a monopoly, which grants me 8:c5goldenage: per turn and +25%GA length. Also synergy with Tradition.
    As for the follower - many was already taken, i got religion after turn 90. I was last except for Byz. I was really unsure about it. I do not need :c5culture: or :c5production: or :c5gold: or :c5happy:, i am swimming in them. I do need :c5science:, :c5food: and maybe :c5faith:. I already got Mandir and Moswue from Wonders.
    I ended up choosing between Synagogues, Pagodas and Cooperation. Decided to take Cooperation.
    I see it was nerfed from 7 to 5 so i decided that it was too strong at 7. I have lots of Flood Plains, Mandir, Salt Monopoly and Tradition. I have lots of food. My idea was that i will have a lot of population.
    I'm not sure if it was good or bad. So far i am a bit disappointed with yields, Might be that Synagogue is better for my case.

9. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

I will of course go for Artistry. It is by far the best choice in my case. It gives more GA points, it gives extra Great People, it gives hidden sites and Louvre. I will of course go for Tourism play.

I do not need both Fealty and Statecraft cause my city is already very strong. I do not need extra trade routes, i do not need extra food, i do not need extra faith. I have so much production that i can build diplomats in 1-2 turns and i am very limited with paper, so i am not a good contender for diplo anyway.

10. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I would have picked synagogue personally. Statecraft can actually work out alright in a one city challenge.
    You can't find faith ruins before turn 20.
    Its 50 if you don't have a pantheon, its 200 if you do have a pantheon. +25% yields if the unit is a pathfinder. I think this isn't needed, I've turned ruins off because I find the gold and production too impactful. Faith is really rare, its rare enough that I find it interesting.

LukaSlovenia29 likes this.
  11. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

Part 2 added: https://imgur.com/a/l8gcnFz

What Enhancer, Reformation, and 2nd Follower would you take?

I am already sure that Synagogue would be better. Also it seems to me that Cooperation is pretty bad.
    200 is crazy, thats usually ~10-15 turns of your faith. 50 after turn 20 might be okay, but i'd still reduce it to like 40 on pathfinder.
    I used to play without Ruins, but it was you who convinced me that ruins are more or less balanced. That first 18:c5culture: Ruin is very important, especially if you don't have any culture from ground. But i agree that gold and production should be toned down

Bromar1, vyyt and Paramecium like this.
  12. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

I'll post next part tomorrow, i have pictures, but i'm tired and have no time for writing.

From what i experience right now i REALLY like removed Growth Handicap. AI is almost as strong as it was, i'm in Industrial, leading in culture, but given my strategy it is something that should be happening. I can't catch up in science and was really struggling with war.

Overall game seems a bit easier than usual Deity, but I think that several additional boosts here and there, maybe tweak Difficulty A, B and C a bit up and it will be a much more balanced game. Seriously, i encourage everyone to try.

vyyt and CppMaster like this.
  13. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I would wait to see your endgame first. Since pop is theoretically an exponential measure...I want to see if you notice the AI "run out of gas" towards the end game instead of its usual surge.

Of course maybe we find out that population is actually "too weak". The growth bonus doesn't really effect the AI at all because at the end of the day your food and growth don't matter all that much. That would be an interesting find.

14. glider1

glider1 Deity

Does changing DifficultyMod.xml and DifficultyMod.sql values work for current game or do you have to start a new one?

15. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

Don't know. I've changed first, than started a game.

16. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

Paramecium likes this.
  17. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Probably rationalism, your two problems are science and supply, but there's nothing you can about supply.

18. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

I was thinking about that. I actually even thought about Imperialism (or better to say about that policy that increases Monopoly boosts). On the other hand Industry has Broadway and 2 extra Trade Routes, and 2 trade routes are really important for Tourism!

19. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

In the meantime i'll say that i took Industry. Despite having problems with science and lots of gold - i took it for Broadway and 2 extra Trade Routes. Broadwway in my case will be super strong cause i have minimal policy cost. Might as well happen that i take Rationalism after tier3 Ideology tenet. And 2 extra trade routes are really impactful, i've just got 1000 tourism for finishing one.

I've stopped at choosing Ideology. This time i'm really not sure. I am first to Ideology btw, i managed to take Louvre, i'm building Eifel Tower. I have 60 happiness and i'm competing for the most happy civ with China, who is also leading in culture and tourism. She actually has 200 tourism, while i have only 130. What Ideology should i take?

20. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

Part 4 added: https://imgur.com/a/JZSyR1G

What Ideology to take?

I'm more and more convinced that Growth handicap was just not needed and useless.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Viralvoid likes this.