1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Willie Escobar - the Drug Lord of Amsterdam! Deity OCC Photojournal!

Discussion in 'Playthroughs and Photojournals' started by Owlbebach, Aug 12, 2018.

?

What Venice game is more interesting?

1. Tradition>>Tourism

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Authority>>Diplo/Science

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

You need to remember that this is a one city challenge, its an unusual game and not really indicative of the game in general.

ElliotS likes this.
  2. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

Of course. And as i mentioned in another thread - one game is not enough. However i clearly see that AI haven't lost its power. While i am clearly one of the leaders in the game - i doubt i can catch up with China... I simply do not have enough cities to produce great people and Archaeologists...

3. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

Part 5 added: https://imgur.com/gallery/S0QJ4bI

I chose Freedom, cause it was a better choice from probability point of view. China took Order, so i get -50% for different Ideologies. Then i was slapped by travel Ban, so -75% against China. Then China declared war on me, so i do not have Diplomat, Trade Routes and Open Borders anymore.

Apparently this was not a very interesting game, but in case anyone is still interested - do you think i have any chances to win the game? Should i continue?

Legen likes this.
  4. DarkenedSpear

DarkenedSpear Chieftain

I'm personally fascinated with this game, so I'd really like if you kept going till the end win or lose. Would nuking China help in any way here? Would musicians help in any way here?

5. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

I mean your only chance is beating china militarily. Shoot for the nukes little rocket man!

6. crdvis16

crdvis16 Emperor

There's probably a lot of people like me reading the photo journal and just not commenting. If you think the game is lost then feel free to quit, but consider doing another journal for your next game ;)

7. CrabHelmet

CrabHelmet King

I enjoyed reading, I just don't comment.

8. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

+1

Seems hard to win for you at this point, though...maybe if you break your One-City rule and start conquering chinese cities? Maybe just razing them could be enough to cripple her culture sufficiently to allow you to make progress on tourism (or eliminate her completely, which would definitely solve the problem). Alas, with such a small army that would be a challenge I guess.

How far ahead is the science leader?

Edit: forgot to pose this question: in your experience, does it happen rarely that people will steal your gold if you have that much in your treasury or is this a sort of exception because you are last in science and therefore the others don't send their spies to you? Every time I look at your gold I think it's gonna get stolen at any moment...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  9. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

Science leader is not too far, like 3 techs ahead of me. But 100 turns back i was top 2-3 in science.
    Unfortunately i can't fight really. Don't forget about supply, i can have 12-13 units maximum. And i bet China has 100.
    Sometimes they do steal gold sometimes, but for a very long time i had a spy sitting in my city.
    Well... If i get 10 Uranium in 1 city... AI is not very enthusiasticabout trading it...

10. Viralvoid

Viralvoid Warlord

Just curious, Is Netherlands really played Tradition -> Cultural?
    Or how do you play it normally when not in OCC.

11. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

He is more or less universal, but more Tradition>>Tourism than anything else
    Thing is that his UA does not depend on number of cities, and every city increases policy costs. So it is kinda the more cities you have - the weaker is your UA. However i clearly see him taking progress and just outdevelop everyone. He can have a lot of culture in the early game and Progress's main weakness is lack of culture. Before Renaissance Progress is usually ~1.5-2 policies behind Authority/Tradition (in the hands of equally skilled player) and William's culture can be very helpful. You can adopt Progress faster and transition to 2nd policy tree and from my experience it is the time when Progress usually loses the game.

Viralvoid likes this.
  12. Legen

Legen King

Can't say from experience, but I always assumed Netherlands would be better played Wide for a human player due to his naval UU; it's hard to get enough supply to maintain a large navy as Tall, especially with a unique that keeps capturing units for your side. In fact, if there was a chance for you to cripple China and the Aztecs, it would have been at the Renaissance, when this unit comes online; however, you don't have a coastal city. You've been playing with one less unique compared to everyone else.

Right now, it looks like your best options are to nuke China to oblivion and bribe Spain to war against Wu. I assume your position in the World Congress is also weak, given that you spent 4 votes to Nay Travel Ban; if it were in a strong position, I'd try to ban her strongest monopoly, especially if it's culture. I doubt China will give you Open Borders from now on, she's been plotting against you.

What's your tourism breakdown in your Capital? That 786 :tourism: is huge, but Order's wonder will protect China from tech modifiers, assuming someone else doesn't get it. Arabia also has a negative tourism modifier with you, you may need to plan how you'll deal with them as well. Montezuma alreary attacks Arabia sometimes, try to push his attacks further.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  13. Viralvoid

Viralvoid Warlord

Oh yeah, and His UI is very universal, with good amount of gold and production.
    What I can't understand about polders were their placements, it is very dependent on the map - A small lake can only provide 5-6 polders, I don't even rush guilds for the sake of polders, since sometimes my land is so dry, and scarce in fresh water.

14. Hosannah

Hosannah Chieftain

Is there any reason why you've got the vanilla UI scoreboard enabled? You do know that you can turn it off, right?

15. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

Well those ships are cool but not game-changing. I personally find all the naval pretty useless unless you have some special case when you can't access city from ground. I dislike Archipelago-type maps cause they are imbalanced and Continents - i would almost never attack anyone on the other continent because it just take too much effort. I mean all that clicking, embarking, traveling, thats just boring and i do not see a lot of benefit from it. If you want to kill someone - kill your neighbor on your continent. If you conquered all your continent - well do you really need to conquer another one?
    Actually i do not see how nuking will help me. She will declare war on me and i'll loose all my Trade Routes to her. Nuking will not reduce the amount of culture she has, nor will it reduce how fast does she get it compared to my tourism against her. It will be negative in terms of "net Chinese Culture minus My Tourism against China"
    Order's wonder is taken by Ottoman. I actually did broker war between Spain and China, it costed me 15000 gold. See in the next part, i am writing it now. I'll do tourism breakdown later today, but main thing is conversion of culture from tiles and artifacts into tourism and effect of Radio and other techs like this.
    I just didn't notice that until you pointed it out...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Legen likes this.
  16. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

17. Viralvoid

Viralvoid Warlord

18. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

Standard, Pangea, low sea level, 10 AI, strategic balance. Otherwise standard.

Pangea is also on drugs this time...

Viralvoid likes this.
  19. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Your war score was low because you had many trade routes and tiles pillaged.

20. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

It was so low right after the start of the war, i checked it. I think has something with comparison of her army to mine - she should have 100 units and i have only 10