1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wimbledon 2009

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Darth_Pugwash, Jun 22, 2009.

1. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I know. Once she can figure out how to get her mind working properly, then she had the game to be very good, but that is stopping her from going far right now. I would suggest that she should feed off the positive energy that the crowd always gives her, since the crowd is never against her. The crowd loves her and that could be her source of energy when she is feeling a bit low. I also think that there are some bio-mechanical flaws in her game that needs to be fixed to help her get better.

2. Azale

Azale Deity

FIST PUMP!

Straight set win :D Venus dominated the first set against Navarro, the second set is close but I can't see Navarro pulling this out...I would be completely stunned. So we are looking at an Ivanovic-V. Williams 4th Round.

3. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Yuck, Hewitt's not eliminated yet. His obnoxious "CMON"s are almost as annoying the Sharapova Shriek.

4. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

That was Ana's best game for awhile, I just wished she could have saved it for the US open. So now come on Hewitt.

5. Imcalfin

Imcalfin Warlord

Holding Nadal's absence against the rest of the field is unfair. They can hardly beat the man if he isn't playing. What if he or Federer suffers a career ending injury? Should we just hold a moratorium on Slams because they would be pointless without them? :crazyeye:

No player is bigger than the game.

I just hope Rafa's knee troubles stay under control. It is starting to look a bit worrisome. Mobility is just about the last thing he can afford to lose.

6. Azale

Azale Deity

With Ana's skills, she doesn't have to "save" it ;) I hope she can just maintain consistency, she says she has been practicing harder than she ever has before. Instant celebrity can be a shock and I think she is finally getting it under control and just concentrating on her game and not on her demeanor or any of that other junk :)

It kinda sucks she now has to go against the most dominant women's Wimbledon performer of this generation. Oh well, no pressure.

I agree. I guess all the majors before Nadal were worthless because he wasn't in them either! Preventing injury is part of the game as much as anything else.

7. StarWorms

StarWorms Deity

I have to say I'm not a fan of Hewitt. I don't know why, but he just annoys me. However he's been doing well this year so all credit to him. The same goes for Ferrero. I think a Murray v Federer final is on the cards.

I'm glad to see Lisicki is doing well. I think it will be another Williams final in the women's.

8. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

That might be because he's an obnoxious little brat who throws a temper tantrum when he starts losing.

However, good on him for playing as well as he has so far.

9. Azale

Azale Deity

Oh man that hip better not be serious...

I can root for Venus now I guess, she handled that pretty well.

10. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Are you sure it is the hip, they were mentioning groin on SI. :scan:

It seems her mental strength is not up to what it should be, mostly confidence I guess.
    Also she doesn't seem to be in quite as good of shape, although I still love it ;) , as she was when she was winning.

11. Azale

Azale Deity

She seems incredibly frustrated that she couldn't continue the match, a match she was clearly being outplayed. I think her head is on right and she gained alot of confidence from beating Stosur so easily and her practicing habits are back on track (she got her old team back, so that has to help). I have more confidence in her than in the Cowboys :p

Hmm, I wonder if Roddick-Federer is a possibility. That's about the only thing that could get me pumped up for the Men's side of this tournament :(

12. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

I think I'd prefer to see Federer-Murray. It'd be nice to see all those Brits getting worked up about a potential Brittish champion and then seeing him fall short in the final... :D ;)

13. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Thats pretty much what I'm expecting to happen assuming that he reaches the final in the first place.

14. Darth_Pugwash

Darth_Pugwash wobble wobble

Murray-Wawrinka was epic, best match of the tournament so far IMHO.

15. StarWorms

StarWorms Deity

Lisicki is one set up against Safina. Not unexpected IMO, but she's showing what she's capable of. She also beat Venus Williams earlier this year. She seems to struggle closing out sets and matches, but you'd expect that from such a young player anyway.

16. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Ouch, Venus was dominating :eek: .

17. Darth_Pugwash

You expected anything less? :p

Could be some close matches tomorrow.

18. StarWorms

StarWorms Deity

I don't think Djokovic or even Murray should have too much trouble. Though having said that, I wouldn't be too surprised if Haas got a set. Federer had better be ready for some tiebreaks, but he's usually on his game. I think Roddick v Hewitt will be a close one.

As for tomorrow with the women's, as much as Safina wants a grand slam title, I don't think she will find a way past Venus. She gets extremely frustrated in tough matches and although she won against Lisicki, I think Venus will force Safina to run all over the court. I think Serena should come through her match, although she looked a little shaky at times in her last match.

19. Darth_Pugwash

Haas seems to be in pretty good form, I think he has a decent chance against Djokovic. But yeah, the standout match should be Roddick v Hewitt.

20. Azale

Azale Deity

This is Roddick's best chance in ages...at the top of his game, no Nadal, less dominant Federer, if he gets past Hewitt he gets to play a guy with a whole nation on his back.

Basically, he has to get it done.