Win a copy of "Old World" - tell us about your favourite civ from "the old world" (contest is over)

Ethiopia. I like the playing style Zara inclines me to.

Ancient China is very interesting (and more fun than modern Chinese history)! It would be a challenge to get them into Old World. But I can always learn to mod.

I'll have to go with Egypt, then. Ancient Egyptian culture has always been deeply fascinating to me, and I hope one day to visit the stunning monuments left from that time in real life. One of the things that drew me into civilization originally was my fascination for the ancient wonders like the Pyramids.

Definitely Greece! I love the greek Culture and History/Mythology, and its influence in the mediterranean world, especially during the Hellenistic period, but most of all, I'm fascinated by the greek Architecture, which is also the reason why I'm not bothered at all by the generic Theater Square District in Civ VI that could basically be the Unique District of Greece (which it is actually, just with the acropolis building). And not to forget the great greek Wonders (and the other works of art, such as the sculptures and the ceramics), and all the other great Works of Architecture outside of Greece that were heavilly inspired by greek Architecture/Culture (including all what Rome did/had, which is just copy-pasting everything greek).

One thing that I wish to have in historical 4X Games, like with an option to enable it, is UI Art that is inspired by greek Art (like with greek Ornament), maybe similar to the Art-Deco UI in Civ V, but in classical Greece Art Style. (imagine having UI changing based on the Civ/Culture that you're playing)

I don't know why, but when I think of Old World or the ancient/classical Era, I immediately think of "Greece" (and also Egypt as an afterthought). Maybe it's because of it's heavy cultural influence in the mediterranean area, through trade and seafaring, but most likely it's just because I'm biased from watching Disney's Hercules when I was a Kid lol

Ladies and gentlemen, may I humbly present, my favourite sieve from the old world:

upload_2022-4-21_22-42-27.png

This fine piece - technically an iron age "beer strainer" (picture courtesy of bbarakat.com, EDIT: presumed ancient Canaanite/Israelite/Palestinian civilisation, circa 10-12th century b.c.) - shall enable the purest of pure nectar, worthy of ancient Gods of the fertile crescent no less, to be delicately teased asunder from the primordial filth wherein it was originally conceived. We humble workers and functionaries of questionable pedigree and from various forgotten outposts of the old world remain ever grateful that such divine providence be bestowed upon us by noble inventors, artisans and craftsmen, such that we may continue in our eternally decadent ways.

Indeed, such an old world sieve virtually guarantees a 20% growth boost and a 10% yield boost for all cities fortunate enough to own such a miraculous contraption! Need I say any more?

Last edited:
While the borders of cities in OldWorld are growing until they meet those of other cities, I see in MedievalWorld *** all city/village sites from the start already blown to the max. (i.e. there are no tiles which are not belonging to a region/province).
[...]
*** I name the next chapter MedievalWorld, because the OldWorld isn't necessarily completed (Indus Valley, Far East) and NewWorld could be a OldWorld-DLC of nations from the Americas or even Terra Australis :eek:
From the already existing I like most Egypt & Rome. Entirely new I'd choose China starting with legendary QinShiHuangDi, first emperor of a unified China and famous for his Pyramid & Terracotta army.

Tartessos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartessos

In reality, little more is known about this civilization than the information that appears in the link to Wikipedia, but the most enigmatic and outstanding thing about it is that there are people who believe that it could have had something to do with the famous Atlantis.

Out of those on offer it has to be the Assyrians. And only because they are flat out crazy.

Like the guys were basically the Aztecs of the ancient world. Torture, murder and all that good stuff were the order of the day. And while this was true for most every nation throughout history the Assyrians really took it to another level. These guys were proper openly chaotic evil card carrying supervillains with a country. They quite literally had images of them self doing these things to enemies as decorations on the inside of their palaces which is how we know about it.

For example there is famous relief of a "Garden Party", depicting king Ashurbanipal and his wife dining near a tree decorated with the head of the former king of Elam. And this relief was found where else but in the ruins of Ashurbanipal's own palace who presumably had it placed there so that he could look at it and fondly remind him self of that day.

Like, can you imagine having lunch with the guy and doing small talk and the conversation just casually shifting toward the painting on the wall? O_o

Last edited:
From the already existing I like most Egypt & Rome. Entirely new I'd choose China starting with legendary QinShiHuangDi, first emperor of a unified China and famous for his Pyramid & Terracotta army.

Just following the point, I'd like to add that - as a researcher of Early China myself - maybe it's also time for devs to look beyond Qin and pick up some pre-Qin Chinese cultures.

Humankind
already did a decent job with Zhou (it can be better, though). Additionally, with recent studies and archeological finds, we now know a lot about the political structure and cultures of the many pre-Qin regional powers, such as Chu, Qi, and Zhao.
In fact, our knowledge of the entire Chu legal system is nearly at the same level as Qin's, thanks to excavated bamboo manuscripts. That alone would serve as the basis for an interesting trait/family design for a Chu culture in Old World.

Last edited:
*** I name the next chapter MedievalWorld, because the OldWorld isn't necessarily completed (Indus Valley, Far East) and NewWorld could be a OldWorld-DLC of nations from the Americas or even Terra Australis

Comment just to point out that "Terra Australis" is actually the OLDEST World since it contains the oldest continuous culture on the planet. Nothing new about them. :)

Ancient Israelites. Had a big impact on the upturn and religion of Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East.

my favorite civilization from the ancient old world will have to be Magadha, from the Ganges River. As the center of breakaway religious movements (called Śramaṇa) from Vedic Age Hindu that covers most of their neighbors, they gave rise to many philosophical/theological debates culminating in Jainism and Buddhism, the latter of which was patronized and go on to become one of the major religions of the world. They remains one of the strongest kingdoms (Mahājanapadas) up until the Maurya period of the subcontinent (and the Maurya later adopted Buddhism too!).

Before I get into this, I'd like to ask whether the keys are for Epic store only, or will we get a choice between GOG, Steam and Epic, even if it means waiting a while till it becomes available?

Macrobians, definitely the Macrobians. We only know little about them (from Herodotus), but what we have heard, sounds cool.
- Extremely tall and strong and always choosing the tallest and strongest as their king
- Average (!) lifespan of 120 years
- A wonder (table of the sun) that is useful for a change
- Healthy diet (meat, meat, meat)
- A way of preserving their dead that put Egyptian mummies on the spot
- Some kickass diplomacy demonstrated towards Persian Emperor Cambyses, the son of Civ's Cyrus, who tried to bribe them into submission with gifts. They sent back an enormous unstrung bow and said as long as Persians were not able to bend it they shouldn't even think about messing with the Macrobians.
Also, this:
...Then handling the king's gifts one by one he put aside the vest and the perfumes as useless the gold ornaments also he threw away with a laugh - gold being the most common metal among the Macrobians; the palm wine however he pronounced to be really good. He then inquired what was the usual food of the Persians and how long they lived. On being informed on these points he boasted of the superior longevity of the Macrobians which he attributed to their exclusive use of milk and flesh for their diet. After the interview the messengers were taken to see the public prison where the prisoners were bound with chains of gold; they were also shewn the table of the sun. This celebrated wonder they found to be a level spot near the city on which during the night pieces of roasted meat were regularly placed by order of the authorities for any of the people to eat during the day...

So many great civilisations (and leaders), but think I'll pick something closer to home: the Vikings. They had so much more about them than raiding monasteries in the UK, including forms of democratic rule way before the so-called civilised world on the continent. Wish they had written down more material, though, so we would know more about them.

If it's not too late, I really like Babylon because of their long history. The civilization is big this way since the culture had Mesopotamia, the beginning of settled life and agriculture that stopped nomadism. Babylon also had many other things like its appearance in the bible, the hanging gardens and even had the tower of Babel. The bible speaks more about Babylon and their primitive laws of forgiveness and repentance was to make people forget and not remind what the law breaker had done to continue to live. Babylon is now known as modern day Iraq and Iran. Even today the Babylonians are known for their good technologies.

Top Bottom