Win a copy of "Old World" - tell us about your favourite civ from "the old world" (contest is over)

Comment just to point out that "Terra Australis" is actually the OLDEST World since it contains the oldest continuous culture on the planet. Nothing new about them. :)
please stop trying to make Australia an OW civ; it's just not going to happen ;) :)

[please don't enter me as I've got the game already, but I just love Nubians/Kush. Maybe it's b/c they're getting a lot of new research done into them, but they just really fascinate me: their relationship w egypt, the Kandake, all of it]

That's easy: Greece! Come on! Democracy!
"Eureka"!, Socrates--and stuffed grape leaves!
Still . . . vomitoria bespeak a free
And wealthy nation . . . Rome, then! Rome receives
My vote! Unless . . . the greatest glory lies
In those grand tombs where River Nilus flows,
That to this day affront the very skies . . .
Or . . . ziggurats, the archetypes of those.
No! Babylon! I'd part with, for their code
Of laws, my right eye tooth! My final ans-
That host that made the Hellespont a road!
Or wait! What beats Alp-scaling elephants?
Oh I can't choose! I wish there were some way
To pick this now, and that another day.​

Last edited:
I really like Civ Rome,
because it is one of the strongest, the fact that you can have one more movement per turn in each unit is very strong, not to mention that King Romolus, being young, guarantees that you will have it as king for many years worth investing a lot in him, in addition to the ability in battle to paralyze an enemy, if you attack with a group of 4 or 5 units, against a tribe with 2 defenders you can paralyze an opponent while finishing the other with the rest of the units what it can do with you being able to clear the area without even taking damage. it's very strong.

I would have to say Rome. It has everything you could want: heroes, villains, amazing technological advances, powerful military and martial successes.... even an HBO miniseries. Oddly, they are not my favorite civilization to play as in Old World, that would be Carthage, but I do love the Romans.

Not too long ago, I think I would've said Babylon or Phoenicia. However, I took a great class at my university this semester on the "Twilight of Antiquity," and it's really sparked an interest in some of the "barbarian" kingdoms that arose when Western Rome collapsed. I think I'm gonna go with... the Vandals! Mostly because the class didn't cover them in much depth, and so I've done some extra reading on them!

Greece. I love the ancient Greek Religion. All those Gods and Goddesses with their petty rivalries. It was the world’s first soap opera. And to my mind, divine squabbles and jealousy are a pretty convincing way of explaining the ills of the world like earthquakes and droughts. It was the Greeks’ Gods that the Romans stole for themselves, not those of other civilisations. A few quick name changes and there was a whole ready made Roman religion.

Rome is the original bad-ass of the old world. Legionnaires marched everywhere, in all weather, drilled until they could fight in their sleep, and fought at a moments notice. They ruled a huge part of the European continent, and set the basics of civilization of that Era..

My favorite civ is well known for its forums, where all freely practiced the exchange of ideas and information.

Some may disagree with me. But I believe this civ has produced many great works of art and literature.

This civ has so many big names, listing just one would give them away…

This civ is also known for their spearman. Well, that’s my take anyway. :spear:

Who’s my favorite civ, you may ask? Why, it’s CivFanaticsCenter!

PS please exclude my entry from any prize pool. I want to support this wonderful company with my wallet.

Last edited:
please stop trying to make Australia an OW civ; it's just not going to happen ;) :)

You know I could make it happen. Just gotta wait till Soren is distracted with something else. ;)

Let's go for the coriosolites.

Influenced by the celtic culture they are part of, they hold deep respect for their druid Getafix and great tolerance towards their bard Cacofonix.

While agricultural activities are common to most celtic tribes, the coriosolites are rather opposite to these vegan hobbies, having Unhygienix fishing at sea (or so he says...) and its hunters, their best beeing Asterisk, Obelisk and Dogmatix, hunting for wild boars.

Various sources are implying the coriosolites displayed an invicible weapon, yet couldn't agree on its nature. Superstitious ones talked about a magic potion, while pragmatics figured a "Lambig" liquid gifted to its hostiles neighbors. Few also found trace of a revered name in these neighbors literacy : "Panacea, whom no soldier could harm", which arouse strong doubts about their pacifist reputation.

The story of this civilisation is narrated in many books, and their feat is the most incredible :
Their ruler Impedimenta (and her spokesman Vitalstatistix) resisted again and again against Ceasar's imperial rule !

Last edited:
Top Bottom