Win a copy of "Old World" - tell us about your favourite civ from "the old world" (contest is over)

i haven't bought or played the game yet this is the first im seeing of it. the game looks great cant believe im just now finding out about it.

i have always loved Egypt.
i think hatshepsut is a cool leader pick not many people know about the "drag king" of Egypt. i would like to see her depicted the way she wanted herself depicted she should look almost like a king wearing a male head dresses including the beard at times.

An damnatio memoriae like option where you can condemn a previous ruler or remove all traces of them.

An Usurpation of Monuments like option where a new ruler can take credit for monuments previous leader built

these are both interesting practices of ancient Egpyt

I would like too see some south american civilizations but those are new world.
I guess id have to say the Gallic tribes would be cool or other clans/tribes/barbarians

Last edited:
Assyria would be my personal favorite, because of ancestral identity but also because I can level-up troops early.
Babylonia would be my next favorite, because I like to have a head start on research that can create a snowball effect.

I mean sure, but the old and new kingdoms don't refer to seperate empires, just time periods. Egypt existed during the same period as Rome so it still works fine. As far as the peope, I think choosing an older family would make sense, but I can understand choosing the 18th dynasty as its Tutankhamen's dynasty so the one people are probably most familiar with besides Cleo.

I would contest that Egypt in Roman times was not the Egypt of Old-Middle-New Kingdom times. Don't forget, the Persians and various Greek factions ruled Egypt between the Late Period and Romans. It was very much a Greek culture by the time of Roman conquest.

But, in the end I'm glad New Kingdom was chosen. It was the time of Egypt's peak of power and domination over other major players.

I would have to go with Babylonia. The increase in science, culture and growth are a great combination making it a very fun civ to play. Although Portugal is younger than the current civilizations in the game I think it has the opportunity to be one of the most interesting civilizations. It's history in sea exploration, trading and naval units would make for a great playing experience. With being less than 1000 years since it was founded it doesn't the same historical length, but if Mohawk Games ever decide to include a few somewhat younger civilizations I think it would be a great addition.

Old World already is on my wishlist, but after reading all these posts, I'm even more excited to play it soon!

I don't have any deeper knowledge of the ancient times, but my favourite civ would be the Etrurians, since they left the world some really beautiful pieces of art. Also, I'm interested in them since they were there "before Rome", and historians don't know much about them, if I remember correctly, so they are a bit mysterious

I believe that playing as Rome is most certainly my favorite civ to play. I just really enjoy their strengths, design, and entire theme. I especially love when I can begin to field Legions and conquering the world with them.

But I think it would be fascinating to be able to play as the Celts or the Gauls which could have more of a focus on "city events" like hunting or gathering then on development of land to get their resources. They could have more of a focus on massing large amounts of less skilled units who become less effective the further from home they are. Some sort of tribal mechanics could really make playing as the tribal nations very unique and, perhaps lategame, they can settle and become a civilization.

I have only visited a limited assortment of „old world civs“ in my life: Etrusc, Rome, Mycenae, Greece and Egypt.
All of their antiquity site are awesome!

Egypt, however, granted me one of the most impressive experiences in my life:
On my Egypt trip, we had one excess day all of a sudden. We decided to visit one of the lesser frequented sites, the Bent Pyramid in Dahshur. As only a few tourists visit this place, our group was the only one at this time.
It is (was?) possible to enter this pyramid and we climbed down into its central chamber. This was fascinating in itself.
But when we left, I stayed just a little bit longer, finally being alone down there.
The silence.
The smell of stone.
The feeling of weight of thousands of tons of stone and the centuries passed.
I will never forget this moment in my life and I am incredible thankful I was able to experience it.

Therefore - for entirely silly personal reasons - I choose Egypt.

Last edited:
I like Sumeria the best, because Mesopotamian mythology is really interesting, and the leaders of Uruk and other ancient Sumerians claimed to be descended from the gods. Gilgamesh's mythological story in particular is interesting because he was king of Uruk and also was a demigod who fought many battles and even discovered the secret of immortality before having it eaten by a snake, of course Gilgamesh's reign was highly mythologized, but its really cool to see the places where history, mythology, and pre-history meet. In regards to the reality of Sumerian civilization, we know that they developed a highly developed civilization for their time, with a writing system, early law codes that would later be compiled together by the Babylonians in Hammurabi's code, complex religious structures from which many of the religions of the past would then take inspiration from, and advanced agriculture for their time that allowed them to build the biggest cities in the world at the time.

I have only visited a limited assortment of „old world civs“ in my life: Etrusc, Rome, Mycenae, Greece and Egypt.

On my Egypt trip, we had one excess day all of a sudden. We decided to visit one of the lesser frequented sites, the Bent Pyramid in Dahshur. As only a few tourists visit this place, our group was the only one at this time.
It is (was?) possible to enter this pyramid and we climbed down into its central chamber. This was fascinating in itself.
But when we left, I stayed just a little bit longer, finally being alone down there.
The silence.
The smell of stone.
I will never forget this moment in my life and I am incredible thankful I was able to experience it.

Wow, I love this experience!

My favorite civ is Israel/ Judah.
I read the bible and it has very good stories.
Cool to see that all the other civs in old world interacts and conquer Jerusalem at different time period but the jewish civilization remains even if they are slaves in Egypt or Babylon or Persia.. They always come back to Jerusalem sooner or later. Even if Jerusalem is a vassal state under many empires during the time of the Bible, they always had their faith and culture saved.
It would be a nice campaign in old world a one city challenge of Jerusalem were you interact with the Bible stories and fight one civ at a time. With some stories from the Bible as lore inside the campaign.

The silence.
The smell of stone.

I once saw the sun rising on Abu Simbel and will not forget the majesty of the moment, I can relate to that story. :beer:

Its a tough question. A large part of my interest in 'Old World' civilizations is in anthropology around gods and cults and how that reflected how people were. So I'd have to say Egypt, because of all the cult centres and god evolution. Also my partner is an Egyptologist so I have had to read a lot about it in proof reading!

And I must say, the Bent Pyramid being so good is a secret thats good to keep, so it doesnt get overwhelmed.

Top Bottom