1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Win a game without starting a war?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Stylesrj, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

How is this even possible to achieve in any sort of game?

Inevitably an AI always declares war on me just as I'm about to complete building a gateway/mindflower/beacon and I have to defend myself by sending my troops in larger numbers to destroying their equally-powerful troops and take over their major cities/conquering them.

Then about one turn away from victory, another AI declares war on me or the beaten foe wants round two (despite me owning everything but their capital).

So does the achievement only apply if you somehow can play nice with everyone and not get war declared on you?

Either way, it's quite funny to see just the extent the AI will go to prevent me from winning. Some are quite the challenge, using forces on par with my own (including mixed Tier 4 melee ships which heal every turn) to that time when I had just 1 turn to go on the Mind Flower and Al Fallah decided that they had enough of me trying to transcend and decided to launch a massive attack from their northern cities (flower in the very far south)... and all they had were Marines and Gunners and Rovers.

2. HandyVac

HandyVac Gentleman

The shire where the oxen cross the river. UK.
    Without starting a war.

It doesn't matter how many wars other people declare on you, so long as you never declare (start) one yourself.

3. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

Yeah but I didn't start any wars. I also discovered the covert ops Down Satellites starts a war.
    But then I reloaded back a few turns and stopped that course of action.

No achievement in the end.

4. darkimpaler

darkimpaler Chieftain

Had this issue as well, I'm not a warmongering type so I rarely start wars on anyone, but still I haven't got that achievement and I really don't know why

5. Lord Gruin

Lord Gruin Chieftain

I just finished a game where I did not start a war and got the achievement. Some declared war on me. I got involved in some war when my allies declared war, but I did not start them.
    Also, I never fired on the aliens. They turned blue in the last third of the game.

6. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

So maybe that's why I didn't get it... because even though I was a Harmony type that game, I sought out aliens and their nests and let them have it in my search for artefacts.

7. SahintheFalcon

SahintheFalcon Chieftain

Can't you just play a 1v1 on the easiest difficulty on quick game speed, rush the mind flower, and win it?

8. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

Maybe. Give me a few weeks though. Xenoblade Chronicles X is getting really good and I want to grind affinities. I think at the rate the game's going, we're gaining points in all three paths :D

9. mrmike1949

mrmike1949 Chieftain

SO maybe killing the aliens count as an "undeclared" war, that cancels the achievement?

10. Monthar

Monthar Deity

I was playing for a domination victory the other day and decided to reload the game from the last autosave before victory to replay that turn. When I took the last capital during the replay it gave me this achievement.

11. mrmike1949

mrmike1949 Chieftain

that is completely illogical!!

12. Monthar

Monthar Deity

That's exactly why it surprised the heck out of me.

13. LethalLeigh

LethalLeigh Prince

I was told if you attack a station or declare hostilities towards one for a quest that counts as declaring war. Not sure how true this is though!

I have also read on these forums that the Alien life forms Do Not count. trying to find the thread will post back here if/when i find it.

14. Monthar

Monthar Deity

Yes, attacking stations counts as a war, which is why you get a pop-up asking if you want to declare war on the station when you first attack them.

15. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

And yet they keep giving you that quest that first says "Hey trade with that station. We'll be best of buds and make our routes more profitable!" only to then get a new quest a turn later "Hey, go blow up those guys! We'll be best of buds and make our routes more profitable!"

Ummm.
    Still, I was playing a game as INTERGR and all of my defensive conquests of my rivals were due to them declaring war on me and I went in and destroyed them utterly without accepting peace offers.
    Is the refusal of peace considered to be "starting a war" because damn that achievement is just so hard to acquire for something so simple in execution!

16. oldag07

oldag07 Warlord

People can declare war on you. You can't declare war on them to get the achievement. That being said, it is pretty easy to declare war on people and still get the achievement. You just ally with the enemy of the civilization you don't like, and you are instantly at war with them. That makes it very difficult to win the game using domination, but whatever.

17. Sauron 3

Sauron 3 Chieftain

I won two times not had been declared a war. One time it was on Gemini and another on Souz difficulties. Flowest victories!(c) Full superiority, any chance for AI to win those parties.

18. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

But did you get the achievement? I'm not doing this thing out of a sense of "What can I do to make my game harder" I'm doing it out of a sense of "It's an achievement. Once I've got it, I'll go back to my regular warmongering ways instead of waiting for the fight to come to me."

I think there's a lesson to be learned there.

19. LethalLeigh

LethalLeigh Prince

If you are allied with a Civ and they are attacked and or attack someone else you will also declare war on the same Civ and fail the achiev..

So no attacking Stations.

No Allying yourself with any Civ in case one of them goes to war. (this will make thing interesting seeing's you wont have resources from Trade Ruotes)

And of cause no starting wars with other Civs let them attack you. (settling a new city near their Capital seems to piss them off, which will guarantee they will attack you sooner rather than later)

20. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

But that's just the thing. I don't start any wars.

Maybe it's the fact that if I accidentally ally with someone and they start a war, I reload the last save game and cancel that alliance to prevent the war. Maybe the save-scumming screws it up.

I also don't attack stations, even if that quest says "Attack that Uncool Station so we can give you a bigger trade bonus - Signed, Cool Station"