My current game is a Huge map, Regent (Trying Japanese for first time) 8 civs. I was mid-way through the industrial ages and most other civs were mid to late middle ages. I still however needed some techs from the middle ages. Rome declared war on me because I was Japan. I didn't care. I knew I had an "average" army compared to them according to my advisor. I landed on the big continent Rome owned except for 5 Greek cities. I took 5 Roman cities in two turns. I then made Greece go to war witht he Romans while I consolidatedmy forces. As I sent one of my ships around to help the Greeks I saw that the Romans had well over 400(I lost count at 215 with only half counted) attack/defense units! I had a mere 50 units. By I decided I needed to massivly build up my forces. I had samuri (knights) and I was going to get Cavalry in 4 turns. The same turn I discovered Cavalry, the Greeks were wiped out. I tried to upgrade but I needed double what I had for gold. I always upgrade using shift-U for everyone. So I raised taxes and hoped to hold out long enough to upgrade. The Romans showed up with close to 500 troops (Legionaires, Knights, Pikemen, and about 25 Musketmen. I had almost 200 mostly Samuri and about 25 Riflemen. I was behind walls and had barracks. I wanted to wait in the city due to terrain. The Romans moved next to my city. Next turn I attacked with all of my samuri winning over 80% of the battles and retreating 15% and the other 5% died. However most of the survivors were down to 1 or two HPs. I had one samuri in a different city and then it was his turn. I decided to try and upgrade as I knew I was close and I had lost a few units. I barely had enough. All of the samuri were upgraded. The next turn the AI retreated some, moved more units into position and attacked my city most of them dying. I lost 10-15 Riflemen. They lost over 75 units and all of thier knights were down to one HP. I then discovered Replacement parts. I had enough to upgrade my Riflemen (I had a lot of tech for gold deals from my zeal to get gold.) So i did that at first. I then went to surmise the damage. To my astonishment, all of my units (about 150) were all at 100%! If I had of thought about this, it would have worked. I was just caught up in the moment of getting my Japanese butt wiped from the Roman continent. So I thought I would type this out and maybe it will help someone who hasn't made the connection. In the end I won and still had over 125 units and I wiped out over 600 Roman units. Quality does make a difference but quantity has also been proven in real history. BTW I never got a GL in all of that. That sucked.