1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Win by Space Race in 1420?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Edgler Vess, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Edgler Vess

Edgler Vess Chieftain

I saw on the GOTM hall of Fame someone managed to launch the space ship by 1420 AD AND end up with a score around 10k? After just finishing a regent game (Standard map, 8 civs including me, Aztecs) in which i had blasted most all the oppostion off the map had about 45 cities i still had only JUST gotten modern armor in 2048 even though i Teched my brains out. I did win the game by score in 2050 AD (Score was 2078 which is my best score to date) so the question is, how did he do that?

2. madbaker

madbaker Chieftain

1420 is pretty good. Not surprised, always somebody out there that's freaking real good at this game.

I managed to launch a space ship on the hardest level in the 18 hundreds .. so, it's quite possible.

How did they do it? They were real good. Part luck, part skill .. hope it's not part cheating.

3. No.Dice

No.Dice Chieftain

The game progresses partly at the speed at which your rivals research techs too because it would take an insanely long time to research every single one by yourself. So you have to trade technologies with the other civs to advance quickly.

At Deity level, since the AI researches so quickly, if you set your science rate to 0, and use your extra cash to buy the most recent technology you can advance very fast. You then sell the technology you just bought to the other less advanced civs to make up the money you spent and a whole lot more. :D Rinse and repeat and soon the other civs are shelling out thousands of gold per turn to you.

This is most likely how he did it, with a fair amount of military
    conquest mixed in, to keep things interesting. Or more likely, for the territory points, since you said he scored high.

4. WUM

WUM the Magnificent

If i want to win fast through spacerace, i never go to war, because it will ruin my tech-trading-strategy. One exception: if i need essential special resources in the end.