windmills and workshops

sherrick13

Chieftain
Are windmills and workshops worth building? It seems they are stagnate and the other improvements get better.

They are pretty useless when you get them, but certain technologies and Civics make them much more useful.

I think windmills are great, workshops aren't anything special really. Both are pretty worthless in the early game, but eventually you can increase the output of both nicely. By the end, and with all the right improvements and technology, a windmill puts out something like +1 food +2 production +2 gold. That's pretty good for a resource-less hilltop if you ask me

Lord Foortwenti said:
I think windmills are great, workshops aren't anything special really. Both are pretty worthless in the early game, but eventually you can increase the output of both nicely. By the end, and with all the right improvements and technology, a windmill puts out something like +1 food +2 production +2 gold. That's pretty good for a resource-less hilltop if you ask me

I agree with you, I can't remember what improves the workshop? I almost never build them, I don't like loosing the food output.
Cmonster

The windmills very handy on highland maps where grass and plains are rare and you need food.

Workshops are utterly and completley essential to a "sea based" city , with no hills :- plains + workshop + guilds + chemistry = 4 Shields ..thats the same as a mined hills / plains..so get that metal working early and pump out those great engineers :)

I agree with above post, Workshops are great if you need the production in a city that has an abundance of flat lands. With state property, you don't even lose the food. I use them a lot, helps early if you want shields, and you don't need to grow. On higher levels growth can hurt if you grow too quick. So yes, I use them, automated workers never build them, but they have their uses.

Automated workers occasionally build workshops, you also don't recieve the health penatly unless you have 3 in the city radius. So with just 2 there's no downside, especially under State Property.

Windmills also work great with cities in deserts with desert hills. Workshops don't seem to provide an amazing bonus in the long run however, at least when choosing between a farm that would improve growth or a cottage that would improve wealth.

Workshops are great when the city has grassland all around its immediate area.

Workshops and Windmills are basically terraforming in Civ4. Windmills make hilly terrain work like flatlands, while Workshops make flatlands work like hilly terrain. Workshops really come into their own in State Property, however. You can spam 'em and use the production to fuel an unstoppable military juggernaut. :D Windmills aren't bad at all in the late game either, since several techs exist that improve their output.

Top Bottom