1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 upgrade

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Knap, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Knap

Knap Chieftain

Not sure if right place but did do a search.

My free windows 10 upgrade is ready. Is the upgrade trouble free with regard to CIV V and any other issues that could arise by upgrading?

Thanks in advance.

2. Carl5872

Carl5872 Prince

I just installed it yesterday, and it seemed a little slower for me, but my computer overall seemed a bit slower.

3. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

It works fine here.

4. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

Works fine. I had to verify cache for Civ BE for some reason, but both games works. The whole upgrade (7 to 10 for me) worked very smooth. Sure I can't find anything, but I will learn, someday.

5. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Works fine for both Civ 5 and Civ IV BTS. To speed up things a touch, simply go into your settings and turn off all the app crap that win 10 wants you to leave on, as you don't really need it active. Unless of course you want everything active and shared :crazyeye:

6. BuzWeaverCiv

BuzWeaverCiv Warlord

I've not experienced any problems directly. The only thing I'd add is to check your control panel to insure Win10 recognizes what peripheral you're currently using (lost sound after switching headsets and not configuring the control panel). The easiest way to get to anything is to Right Click on your Start Button.

As you may know, you'll want to insure that you have all the Win10 drivers available for your hardware/peripherals.

7. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

It worked and upgraded fine on my pc but on my laptop its still the same because it can't upgrade to win 10 for some reason.

8. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

Has anyone tested to see if Windows 10 fixes the crashing as host bug in MP? It sure would be nice to be able to host games again.

9. Slip de Garcon

Slip de Garcon Warlord

Civ 5 has become completely unstable for me!

Crashes about every ten minutes.

Was fine before.

10. Gordon Brittas

Gordon Brittas Blackadder's Half Brother

You need everything up to date, then as long as your Windows is legal, you should be fine.

11. Kin

Kin Chieftain

running fine.

12. z284pwr

z284pwr Prince

Runs great on the computers I rub it on. Actually ran it on my wife's laptop on battery for an hour and a half and it still had 45% battery left. Not bad for a late game war and running a dedicated Nvidia GPU in it

13. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

on russian localized win 10, runs perfectly too

14. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I just got civilization up on windows 10 on both on laptop and PC and both running fine.

15. lemonfreshness

lemonfreshness Chieftain

I never used DX9 mode before Windows 10 (I was using Windows 7 initially), but now it's far more tolerable in regards to game speed. Also, DX11 mode on Win 10 has rendered all of the terrain tiles weirdly, making them look like they were painted and then washed out. It's not a big problem but it's a bit annoying. No crashes so far.

16. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

I've been reading about this, cuz I upgraded a spare Win 7 laptop to Win 10, and the game I was playing last night started out okay but kept getting slower and slower (unless i dropped into strategic mode) to where eventually it was unplayable. Mostly it was lag time on mouse clicks and the keyboard.

Seems to be the xbox streaming support they added is active for all games and it's a resource hog. You can't uninstall the xbox app normally, but it's removable using something called powershell. That's about all I've got so far.
    https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblog/delete-windows-10-apps/

17. lemonfreshness

lemonfreshness Chieftain

I did this and I think it helped the game speed a little. Still using DX9 because of that annoying terrain rendering glitch, though. :cringe:

18. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Per Firaxis site, Civ V is not on the "officially supported" list.
    But they had a disclaimer saying that just because they aren't supporting it doesn't mean it won't run.

If still slow after removing xbos streaming support app, I'd recommend looking at the other pre installed apps and removing the ones you don't need and next going thru the standard startup programs and removing things you don't need there.