Windows 10 version 1709 breaks Civ6

zxcvbob

Emperor
The game starts okay, but as soon as it tries to display the map (beginning of turn 1) the screen breaks up. Kinda like a "horizontal hold" problem on an old TV (remember those?)

I've rolled the system back to version 1607 and it works fine. Do I just need to update the Intel video drivers? Or is it really broken? It's getting harder to stay backlevel and I will probably have to update soon; and it's a real PITA to rollback.

The system has a 7th-generation I5 processor and Intel 620 HD integrated graphics.

I have Version 1709 "Fall Creators Update", and don't have any problems. I'd really look into updating by summer/fall from Version 1607 "Anniversary Update" as Version 1803 "Spring Creators Update" will be released next month and I'd imagine support for 1607 will end soon after.

I have to say, though, that running Civ VI with integrated graphics is really going to limit how well the game runs. You really need at least 1GB of dedicated VRAM to run even marginally well. Even better would be 2GB or ideally 4GB. In any event, I'd update the video drivers if available. If there are no updates, I'd try to fully uninstall and reinstall them.

I'm loading the Fall Creators update now, it should be finished loading when I get home. I created a restore point right before starting the update. I'll see if I can get it to work tonight. I downloaded the latest Intel drivers but won't install them until after. And I will play with the video options in the game setup. Since posting here, I've heard of other people fixing this by change the game's refresh rate to 60Hz. There was also something in the last Steam update about high resolution and the Fall Creators version of Win 10; it might be a Steam thing.

And it's broken again. So I tried loading the latest video driver from Intel and it won't load; says I have a custom driver and need to get updates from Acer. I checked Acer's website and I'm at their latest version already.

So I tried tweaking the graphics settings, and on the 4th or 5th try I thought I had one that worked (I could start a new game with all default settings) but when I tried to load my previous game (also on a small map) the screen goes nuts again. Not sure who to contact if I can't find any combination that works.

Civ 5 seems to do just fine. Some people are reporting similar problems with it.

Edit: I'm rolling back to the previous version. Interestingly, MS threw away all my restore points. :mad: Next time I will do a backup to external media.

Last edited:
I tried it again. I uninstalled Steam and all my Steam games, then did the Windows upgrade. (Steam was probably overkill) Then reinstalled Steam and Civ 6. It seems to work now. Then I installed and ran Civ 5, and then ran Civ 6 again (in case '5 loads a backlevel version of DirectX or something). Still seems to be working, even with the graphics options cranked-up a bit -- dxdiag says I have 4GB of video memory. Fingers crossed...

The game starts okay, but as soon as it tries to display the map (beginning of turn 1) the screen breaks up. Kinda like a "horizontal hold" problem on an old TV
Same issue but only on DX11 so sticking to DX12 as I CBA to bounce the lot.

I had everything working, then a new Windows update killed it again. Reinstalling Steam and Civ didn't help this time, and all my restore points are magically gone. Also I cannot remove the recent Windows updates. I'm really pissed about this.

Top Bottom