Windows 11 and Civ 4.

Gumbolt

Phoenix Rising
I was thinking of updating to Windows 11. How has everyone found this works with Civ 4. Any issues?

I am still using the CD version. No replacement key from Firaxis yet for me. (Dedicated as I have been over the last 18 or so years.) Tempted to wait and see with Windows 11.

Works completely fine for me. I use Steam, but I don't think that should matter?

I was thinking of updating to Windows 11. How has everyone found this works with Civ 4. Any issues?

I am still using the CD version. No replacement key from Firaxis yet for me. (Dedicated as I have been over the last 18 or so years.) Tempted to wait and see with Windows 11.
I am force do use Windows 11 at work and I can tell you don't do it. The system is just not ready yet and lacks a whole bunch of standard features from 10. The whole thing feels like something out of early access. So my advice is to give it a couple more years before upgrading.

I gave it a miss. Plus ran out of time. Windows 10 works fine right now. At some point I need to get this game on GOG. Just frustrating to have to buy a game I already own. Another game I own would of been lost as I can no longer download from their website. Managed to clear up some of the 3000+ saved games I had for Civ 4. 😂

I gave it a miss. Plus ran out of time. Windows 10 works fine right now. At some point I need to get this game on GOG. Just frustrating to have to buy a game I already own. Another game I own would of been lost as I can no longer download from their website. Managed to clear up some of the 3000+ saved games I had for Civ 4. 😂
I know your feeling. I am another original CD guy. I actually still have a sizable CD collection in fact.

Most of my cd games no longer work. Should probably have binned as taking up shelf space. Just can't do it
Works perfectly fine for me (CD Version), was easier to get BUFFY working than Windows 10.
I will most likely update next year or so. It's a free upgrade. Reinstalling all the games would of taken many hours. At time of decision I didn't know if W11 would kill off CD version of Civ 4. Good to know it still works. Still takes a while to get all the patches for Civ 4 and buffy etc installed. Which is one reason I don't clean install too often.

Works fine on 11 for me as well.
I installed Civ4 on WindowsXP in 2006? and I've literally never reinstalled it. Just drag my \games\ folder to the new PC and make a new shortcut. It even runs fine from a thumb drive.
Last time I saw the CD was when I moved in 2012.

Just bought CivIV via Steam during the recent sale, I'm running Windows 11 Home edition, and I just cannot get it to work. Installed DirectX, enabled in the legacy settings. Set the .exe file (for the base game and for BTW) to run in WinXP SP2 compatibility mode, run as admin, disable full-screen -- these are all fixes I found in the last hour on various sites, and it still won't run. Tried the compatibility troubleshooter, it doesn't know what to do with the exe file. I even downloaded DOSBox, but it really didn't seem to make any difference.

I'm truly happy for those who have the CD version and are able to run it! That's the one bit of information I've seen here that I have not seen in other forums: that the CD install handles all this in Win11 with no issues. Am I SOL?

Are you using win 7 compatibility? How far do you get in loading?

I doubt dosbox will work.

I assume steam is full version. Are you running the BTS exe?

This is why I stuck with win 10.

Direct X 9c?

Not sure Lymond has Win 11 on his gaming rig.

'If you're using a Steam version, I think there's some kind of compatibility option you have to check. Also, did you install from the main installer? The big 1 GB file? See if you can find on your pc and2_checker.exe. I don't know which exec is the pop up referring to. It might either be RAND exe or BTS exe. BTS exe is found where you have installed BTS. RAND exe (and2_checker.exe) is just an installer/launcher, you can also play without it by just starting BTS and the selecting RAND mod. Anyway and2_checker.exe is usually found inside the MODS folder, which is located in Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\; or it might be in the Mods folder inside BTS main folder.'

Worth a look. So it may not be a WIn 11 issue at all.

Oh installing from CD is a nightmare. One of the reasons I don't update to Win 11. Plus it will kill off another game I play.

Last edited:
I did say I was using WinXP SP2 compatibility, which is what was recommended on every site I found (including this one). For giggles, I did also try WinXP SP3, and I probably tried Win7. I did that just now, and yes, I ran it as administrator. It failed every time. Trying just now, civilization4.exe stopped at Init engine.

I have long since moved on to Civ VI for general play, but I wanted to introduce my kid to Civ in a less complex version. It's been ages since I've played anything this old.

Yes, I said I got the same problems with DOSBox. It was a last-ditch hope that some kind of 32-bit emulation might help, but it did not.

Yes, Steam sells the full versions of everything. The bundle was for the complete Civ IV and all three expansions. And I'm seeing the same errors on both the base game and BTS.

Direct X 9c?
Yes, I downloaded the Direct X installer from MS and enabled it in the Windows legacy settings (which as I understand should make all versions available). Ugh, I remember the days when your DirectX version literally made or broke the ability to play.

'If you're using a Steam version, I think there's some kind of compatibility option you have to check. Also, did you install from the main installer? The big 1 GB file? See if you can find on your pc and2_checker.exe. I don't know which exec is the pop up referring to. It might either be RAND exe or BTS exe. BTS exe is found where you have installed BTS. RAND exe (and2_checker.exe) is just an installer/launcher, you can also play without it by just starting BTS and the selecting RAND mod. Anyway and2_checker.exe is usually found inside the MODS folder, which is located in Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\; or it might be in the Mods folder inside BTS main folder.'
Since the full versions install from Steam, I don't think and2_checker.exe or rand.exe are relevant. Everything is installed, and I'm just trying to run it exactly as I would anything else installed on my computer. Needing to dig into the program files and run compatibility is new, but I'm quite comfortable digging into the settings for that sort of thing and trying different things to get it to work. I went to several Civ4 forums, which all had the same advice: WinXP SP2 compatibility mode, run as administrator, disable full-screen optimization, install DirectX, then go to the Programs control panel, "turn Windows features on/off" and check the box for "Legacy Components", and I confirmed that "DirectPlay" was listed under that. Then I right-click civilization.exe (or the BTS exe file), tell it run as administrator, agree to letting it do that again, and it brings up the loading screen. It initializes a number of items, get to "init engine," and then quits. When I try to run the compatibility troubleshooter, I get an "unexpected error" and no other option but close. View error details tells me the following:
Package ID: PCWDiagnostic
Path: unknown
Error code: 0x80070057
Source: Command line
User: (my laptop and local user)
Context: restricted

I wonder if I have to make my local user a local admin?
ETA: Nope, I am an admin already.

Could you be missing a file?

On mine there was a drop down on compatibility and I selected win 7. Albeit this was for the logo issue. Could you be missing a file of some sort?

Have you tried reinstalling?

Wonder if it is a permission issue? Where are you installing it?

Last edited:
Since the full versions install from Steam, I don't think and2_checker.exe or rand.exe are relevant. Everything is installed, and I'm just trying to run it exactly as I would anything else installed on my computer. Needing to dig into the program files and run compatibility is new, but I'm quite comfortable digging into the settings for that sort of thing and trying different things to get it to work.
I'm very puzzled as beyond perhaps running in compatibility mode you shouldn't need to do anything else, Steam should install a working version - people have issues with Mods sometimes but not just getting the game to work.

Here is one thing you might want to try:-

The BUFFY Hall of Fame Mod requires the Original Gamespy Version which is not the default on Steam. In order to enable this version you need to:

1. In your Steam Library, right-click Civilization IV (or any of the expansions) and select “Properties.”
  2. Select the “Betas” tab. As the tag for the pre-Steamworks version is only available for PC, if you do not see it listed, you may be looking at the Mac Steam listing (which did not receive the Steamworks update).
  3. The Beta tag 'Original Release – UNSUPPORTED' will appear in the Beta dropdown list. Select it and close the Properties window.
  4. Steam should now update Civilization IV to the Original Gamespy Version. If the update does not start automatically, launch the game to force the update process.

I did say I was using WinXP SP2 compatibility, which is what was recommended on every site I found (including this one).
Can you say where you saw this as it's out of date and I'd like to get it updated, Windows 7 compatibility mode seems to be the best now.

I think it may be due to memory management problem. I have been running civ4 BTS on W11 for few months without any problem. Then somehow it frequently went into a loop in the later part of the game. Later it always crashed during 19th century. I use the marathon mode and biggest world. I finally found a solution, by erasing everyone in one of the continents. The game can run again. My PC is only a few years old.

I am not able to play on Windows 11, because the screen is very slow to update. I'm wondering what this might be. My PC kicks ass except for playing this, (a Dell Inspiron 15 5000, running BUG 4.4.

Any thoughts? I'm quite heartbroken.

This is why I stuck with win 10.

Direct X 9c?

Worth a look. So it may not be a WIn 11 issue at all.

Oh installing from CD is a nightmare. One of the reasons I don't update to Win 11. Plus it will kill off another game I play.
Why is installing from CD a nightmare? That's what I did and while I can load the BUG 4.4, the graphics go so slowly that it isn't worth playing. I tried adjusting the graphics to a lower level in Settings, but that didn't help.

Top Bottom