1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 7 Shutdown Issue

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by deanej, Dec 16, 2010.

1. deanej

deanej Deity

Whenever I shut down my laptop with Windows 7, I get the message that Windows is waiting for some programs to be shut down. It sits there for a few seconds and then proceeds, but it's very annoying. Is there a way to fix this, or at least get Windows to list which programs are the problem (as happened in Vista and earlier)?

2. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I sometimes see that when I shut down my desktop computer immediately after closing down an app and not giving the app sufficient time to shut down. You may have something running in the background you are not aware of.

3. deanej

deanej Deity

That's why I'm hoping there's a way to find out which program. On XP, I once had an issue where HP's printer stuff could cause this - might be the same here.

4. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Windows 7 lists programs that are refusing to shut down for me just fine.

5. deanej

deanej Deity

Never has for me, unless there's only one - but usually in that case it's just around for a couple nanoseconds before going away, so I never see which program. Usually it's just a blank box. Perhaps Lenovo screwed it up? They already released a driver update that makes the Windows network status icon useless, so I wouldn't put it past them.