"Windows Firewall Exception List App error" anyone heard of such a thing

westpalm910

Chieftain
I can't find anything or anyone having this issue. I have contacted game support from 2k and no one will respond. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP

Well, I downloaded this game from direct2drive.com. I had an older system with windows xp and the game ran just fine, installed fine no problems. That computer crashed on me and i ended upgrading to a multicore windows vista home premium 64. I dl the file to install, and as its going through the install, at the end of everything, it says. Windows (R) Firewall Exception List Update Application has stopped working. And it says this when I uninstall and reinstall. Then I go to play the game and I get a MSVCR71.dll was not found. Please reinstall. I am getting sick of this and no tech support wants to help. I appreciate you responding

this is certainly something d2d should respond to.
that said, lets try a few things:
did you install the game with administrator rights? i.e. did you rightclick on the installer and choose run as administrator?

uninstall the game
download the file again (it is well possible that the download was corrupted in some way)
disconnect from the internet
disable the windows firewall
install the game with admin rights as above
reenable the windows firewall

this may or may not work but would be the first thing I'd try...
if it does not work, please post again :)

Ok, so. I get some news from d2d.com that I should go into my msconfig and choose from the boot.ini to boot in safe mode networking, so I do this and install like he asks and it installs fine. I come back into regular mode and it still won't play the game. I set to run as administrator and it still won't work. I dunno. Its giving me a windows (r) firewall exception list update application has stopped working. I dunno, very frustrating but I appreciate the help

:hmm: it should not even need to do anything with the firewall - unless what I guess - the d2d specific stuff tries to call home... have you tried running it with disabled windows firewall? (not connected to the internet)? did you install it with admin rights as above?

yea, when you install the game, there is an option for firewall exception for internet play. It says its required for internet play. I have tried installing with and without that option and still am getting the same issue. I have tried to install without firewall enable and once with it enabled and am still getting the same issue. I really dunno whats going on, d2d has gotten back to me, with no avail though. I searched the issue and found nothing. Just another perk of running vista huh

btw I shut all firewall and everything, did not get an issue the windows firewall exception list update application has stopped, that did not happen. BTW i did redownload and am getting the same issue. Now I am getting "This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found. Re-install the application may fix the issue. WHAT THE HELL???

i turned the user access control off, the IT guy at my work advised me to try it and see if it worked, now I get the .dll error

I read this post, and I did indeed dl that file and posted it in my windows/system folder. Only problem is I have vista and everything is ass backwards, let me know the exact address for placing it. I would be most grateful

I went back and placed it in my c:windows/system file and nothing happens. I wrote microsoft this stuff pisses me off

put it into the install path of the game, that should override anything that is in the system folders, e.g. I have some residing in:
\firaxis games\sid meier's civilization 4\
and in
\firaxis games\sid meier's civilization 4\warlords
and in
\firaxis games\sid meier's civilization 4\beyond the sword

d2d probably has slightly different paths. also make sure that the file is not write protected...

Top Bottom