Windows Media player does not work

Souron

The Dark Lord
I am not sure when it stoped working, but It doesn't now.

The player itself works, but when I try to play any movie file, it plays, but with black instead of an immage.

The problem also applies to the plugin. Quicktime still works. Realplayer has the same problem.

I installed Windows media player 10 hoping that would eliminate the problem, but it did not.

Help.

If it plays sound but no video you are missing the Codec that the video needs. You need to get the GSpot Codec information appliance.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

● Establishes what video codecs (audio and video) are required to play an AVI file.
● Determines whether these codecs are installed on your system.
● Isolates problems associated with these codecs.

I have not tried it on all types of files, but so far, It has told me that one particular avi file needs no codex, yet I cannot play it with WMP.

I can play this file with some other media players, however.

I should also mention that this may very well be related to the fact that I have a new monitor now, and am currently using two monitors at once.

Edit: I have just determined that it does infact work on my first monitor, one that only dimmly shows the immage when light shines on it.
(This is a laptop)

Souron said:
I have pretty much determined that this problem was caused by me getting a new monitor.
EDIT: You are using two monitors at once? There's your problem.

Do you have an ATI or Nvidia graphics card? In the drivers section, you have to select one as the primary monitor, which will display your video, and the other as secondary. You can alternate between the two.

For instance, on my ATI 9800 Pro, I have my monitor hooked up and my TV also connected. When I want to watch films on the TV that are on my computer, I need to change some settings in the display properties that ATI includes. This allows the video to be relayed to the TV but appears as a blank area on the monitor - until I switch the settings back.

You can't have it both ways.

Top Bottom