Windows Vista?

Yeah it's the next version of windows. But it's not much different from XP so it's more like a $200 patch for XP.

I heard somewhere that it was coming out in December of 2006. Is it true?
And I agree that it sounds just like another "patch." I haven't read anything that seems revolutionary. ;)

So far M$ has cut most of the anticipated features like WinFS. They do say that it should be out Q4 '06, but I'd be very surprised to see it on shelves before mid '07.

So far I've not seen any compelling reason to upgrade. I'll probably just do the switch whenever I do an upgrade after it comes out.

Btw: Never, ever, waste your money on a $200 retail copy of Windoze. Get OEM.

Is the vapor out? When do we get Duke Nukem Forever?

Edit: I had a brief moment confusion thinking they actually released it. Nope. Back to work ;)

dannyevilcat said:
Well, I'm a total sucker for that aeroglass effect, personally.
Same here. The improvments on the graphics make it worth at least $50, and then the search feature is another $50.

dannyevilcat said:
Well, I'm a total sucker for that aeroglass effect, personally.

Want an even less reason to upgade? ;) That is going to be offered as a free DL for XP also. :p So is WinFS

Btw: Never, ever, waste your money on a $200 retail copy of Windoze. Get OEM.

Yeah. I paid about $95 for my OEM version

MarineCorps said:
Want an even less reason to upgade? ;) That is going to be offered as a free DL for XP also. :p So is WinFS

Somehow I doubt that, considering Microsoft is going to have a hard enough time pushing a DRM-heavy OS like Vista as it is :twitch: Even though I've seen articles saying they're considering making WinFS available for XP, I'll believe it when I see it.

vbraun said:
Same here. The improvments on the graphics make it worth at least $50, and then the search feature is another $50.

I already have the search feature on my Mac, in a much easier to access, and use interface :p.

Apple actually tried using the glass effect a while back, but it was determined that it was useless and distracting, and people overwhelming disliked it after using it. Sure, it looks nice, but when you're not just admiring your status bar, it's pretty useless, and distracts you from what you want to be paying attention to.

Mac OS X Tiger looks more advanced (I won't say better as that is a personal preference) than Windows Vista at the moment, and by the time Vista is out, Leopard, the next Apple OS, will be about.

When is the next version of Windows coming out? Like, total version, not just a $200 add-on as Vista seems to be?

I'm not going for Vista, either way. The next version of Ubuntu, 5.10, is going to be out in less then a Month, I shall just go for that, then for the ultimate in Ubuntu Linux, 6.10! THAT is what I am waiting for. Impatiently . . .

vbraun said:
You can get the search feature for free from Google. You can get nice looking graphics with Konfabulator (IIRC it was purchased by Google). And every feature you can name already exists in Linux. :p

vbraun said:
If I cared about pretty graphics and search, I'd have a Macintosh. I don't care about that, so I don't have a Mac. In the same way, when the main "features" of Vista are pretty graphics and a search feature, I won't be switching to Vista any time soon.

Goober said:
When is the next version of Windows coming out? Like, total version, not just a $200 add-on as Vista seems to be?

I'm not going for Vista, either way. The next version of Ubuntu, 5.10, is going to be out in less then a Month, I shall just go for that, then for the ultimate in Ubuntu Linux, 6.10! THAT is what I am waiting for. Impatiently . . .
Well Vista is supposed to be the next version. After that, the next version is Blackcomb, which is currently scheduled for 2012 (and as for the scheduled date, just remember that Vista was originally supposed to have been released in 2004.)

Yeah. Blackcomb was supposed to suceed XP. Personally I don't see the point of delv a succesor when the program it's supposed to suceed isn't even complete yet.

Blackcomb starts out with all the features they were *planning* to put into Longhorn/Vista when it was scheduled for 2004. They had to scrap all the *real* improvements/fixes, just to make it out the door by 2006. ;)

(Padma has been happily running Linux-only for over a year. :D)

Aphex_Twin said:
You can get the search feature for free from Google. You can get nice looking graphics with Konfabulator (IIRC it was purchased by Google). And every feature you can name already exists in Linux. :p

Konfabluator was purchased by Yahoo.

Top Bottom