Windows XP 64 bit or 32 bit?

Souron

The Dark Lord
I recently got a new computer, and I need to decide between getting a 64 bit or a 32 bit version of XP. I'm also planning on installing Ubuntu, and Vista 64 on the same machine.

There are currently 2 Gigs RAM on the machine, so there is current no need for 64 bits, except when I choose to upgrade.

How likely will I be to experience driver problems with 64 bit XP? Will any games have problems? Should I stick to 32 bits?

Cost is not an issue, but it is slightly easier for me to obtain XP 64 than XP 32 with service pack 2.

Absolutely go with XP 32-bit.

XP x64 isn't built from the same kernel as XP 32-bit, and doesn't have close to the level of support (hardware and software) as XP 32-bit or Vista (32-bit or 64-bit).
:confused:

I have xp x64 and found drivers for all my hardware easily. It hasn't given me any problems at all.

Go with XP32 now to be safe, then get Vista64 when you add RAM later on.

64 bit refers to how modern your CPU is, not how much memory you have. If you have a 64 bit CPU, you can only get max performance out of it with a 64 bit OS

64 bit refers to how modern your CPU is, not how much memory you have. If you have a 64 bit CPU, you can only get max performance out of it with a 64 bit OS

While this is technically true, performance differences between 32-bit OSes and 64-bit OSes aren't going to be apparent to most people. The main advantage of 64-bit operating systems is support for more memory.

:confused:

I have xp x64 and found drivers for all my hardware easily. It hasn't given me any problems at all.

I ran XP x64 for about 8 months on my main rig, for the increased memory support. Changed to Vista 64-bit when it came out, and it was a huge relief, all the problems I had with XP x64 were resolved with Vista.

I have XP 64 bit because I am running a dual core system with 4 gigs of ram so
i am kinda forced into it. And so far I actually really see no difference other than the fact that Windows actually utilizes all 4 cores

I ran XP x64 for about 8 months on my main rig, for the increased memory support. Changed to Vista 64-bit when it came out, and it was a huge relief, all the problems I had with XP x64 were resolved with Vista.

I've run it for almost a year now and there hasn't been any problems. Getting XP64 was unplanned as I thought I had ordered 32 bit XP from the MSDNAA and didn't discover my mistake till after the install. So it was unplanned and I still found drivers for all my hardware that I had picked out with 32 bit in mind.

XP x64 for the most part gets a thumbs down. If you start looking at Vista though, its x64 versions have advanced to the point with SP1 where really the only reason to stick with the x86 is if you need to keep compatibility for a specific piece of software or hardware.

XP 32-bit will give you all bases covered on compatibility (or as close as reasonably possible). XP 64 might cover some programs that dislike Vista, but won't cover the ones that simply don't like 64-bit operating systems.

So I'd go with XP 32-bit to go along with your Vista 64-bit. If a program actually needs a 64-bit OS or that much memory, chances are quite high it'll work in Vista anyways.

If you really need it, go with Vista x64, otherwise stick with XP 32-bit for a while longer.

I have Vista 64-bit, and I have had a few minor problems with some software, but no problems with hardware drivers (all my hardware is pretty new though).
If you are buying the OS, I'd recommend Vista 64-bit, if you can get Windows with other methods, you should probably get a 32-bit system, but be ready to reinstall it later.

Top Bottom