Windows XP 64-bit

Crbarber22695

The Next Great Liberal
So I have 6GB of RAM, which for me at least is a lot. But still, Vista is slow, and Windows 7 RC isn't much better. So I was thinking of downgrading to Windows XP, but if 64-bit XP is still crappy I don't want to downgrade. So, I'm wondering if XP 64 has all its bugs ironed out. (As in, is at as good as 32-bit?) And if so, whats the best version:
Home Edition
Professional (what I was leaning towards)
Black Edition
Media Center Edition

My PC Specs:
HP Pavilion a670y (i think)
Windows 7 RC (was Vista Home Premium)
2.2Ghz Quad-Core Processor (AMD Phenom x4)
6GB PC2-SDRAM
Nvidia GeForce 9100 (w/ 256MB dedicated graphics memory)

Go back to 3.1.

I've only got a 5200 AMD Athlon Dual Core (2x2600) 64 bit with 3G of Ram and a Geforce 7600LE and a pretty fast modem and I have no problems with XP. I can play the most complex games and have minimal download time. I don't have a problem. The things I've heard about Vista are not good so I have no reason to upgrade so far.
Anyway, should this question be asked in tech support?

Windows 7 RTM is your best bet. XP64 never had all of its bugs worked out, and all your hardware will work fine with Windows 7.

XP64 wont be much faster than W7 or Vista.

I think Windows 3.1 is the first Windows I ever used.

I'm using Vista 64-bit, and I can say that I have had very few problems with the 64-bit instead of 32-bit issue. If you use many advanced special programs I think you should use 32-bit, but having 64-bit instead of 32 have never stopped me from doing what I wanted to on my computer (I've had to do some extra searching for new programs on Google sometimes, though).
I've had some of the typical Vista problems...

I have tried all of the XP versions you mentioned, and I haven't noticed any differences, but I haven't looked for any or done much advanced stuff.

good choice bro. i have been using it for a couple years now and 95% of everything that works on 32 bit XP works on this.

pros: all the ram you want in XP environment. 1337 programs that can run in this OS. nvidia supports this OS as well as some other drivers too :)

Downsides:
doesn't work with MP4 players (some if not all), lots of old ass drivers won't work either, some games just won't work, and some patches won't work. eek

against vista: even with above taken into account, VISTA still can't run more programs than XP 64 bit, and more drivers don't work on vista IMO.

interestingly, XP Pro 64 bit is structurally similar to Vista in some ways, and is based on Windows Server 2003.

edit: also you cannot buy this directly from microsoft or at any brick and mortar store AT ALL! you have to buy it online and so far seems to come with a hologram install disc and a slip with key on it. i got mine around $90

you can also download the ISO from microsoft for a 30 trial (i dunno if this is still available

XP64 seems like it was more of a test than a real product, and there is no reason Windows 7 should be slow on your compute, except that you have a crappy crappy graphics card. For around the same price you could have gotten a better graphics card, and I've seen no reason to use 64 bit XP when 32 bit has less problems and few XP programs really take advantage of 64bit, if any.

you all have very good points and i will confes i have a secondary 32 bit operating system on my machine. :) good luck with your rig and let us know what you pick and how it works

Actually no one will ever need more than 512MB of ram, nor even 256MB, I even feel I fly with just 640 KB of RAM

Im running A q9500 at 3.4ghz ( now that the weather has cooled off) with 8gb DDR2.

RAM is the one thing you can never have too much of.

To say no one will ever need anymore ram than todays standards is kind of ignorant. My grandparents used to have a computer when 32MB of RAM was a ton, and they thought the same thing, and now, they can't even have high speed internet with that computer. So, in probably ten years, computers with 512MB of RAM will meet the same fate, and eventually, people with 6GB and 8GB too. You can even get a Mac with 32GB of RAM. 32! So yeah, technology is getting better, and as it does, it requires more power. You can't even have Vista without at least 512MB.

hey did you ever pick up that OS? did you get a good deal?

Pro x64? You can't buy it from stores (unless from like a used computer software store or pawn shop), you have to download it from microsoft or other D2D sites, or if you're okay with breaking the law, like thepiratebay.com or something. But otherwise, its like $100 roughly.

Well I decided to install Windows XP 32-bit because:
1. SP3 isn't available for x64 Windows XP
2. Civilization 4 doesn't run well on x64. (at least it wasn't for me).
3. Its harder to find drivers for x64.

1. That's because it's a different operating system, it's based on Windows Server 2003, not XP, so follows the same service pack schedule as WS 2k3.

2. Not a problem in Vista/7 64-bit.

3. Not a problem in Vista/7 64-bit.

Top Bottom